Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,110,733 times

Advertisements

Books!

Books on geology, metallurgy, hydrology, basic construction, intermediate health and medical safety. Hhow do to produce electricity (notice how no one of fracking Revolution seems to know how to build a basic electrical generator!. And a decent cook book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,288,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Books!

Books on geology, metallurgy, hydrology, basic construction, intermediate health and medical safety. Hhow do to produce electricity (notice how no one of fracking Revolution seems to know how to build a basic electrical generator!. And a decent cook book.
Let me be the first to say, I fully agree with this, and respectfully suggest you put on your flame retardant suit immediately.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 AM

72 posts, read 77,884 times
books, yes, but on a kindle, with a solar charged battery charger. better yet, on microfiche, with a hand held 24X magnifyer to let you read them., which can be used to start fires, on sunny days. With them on fiche, you can have 100's of books with almost no bulk or weight.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 AM

25,969 posts, read 18,965,269 times
Quote:
Books!

I agree with all of this. I would add to this, "stealth." Otherwise you won't have the opportunity to put any of that to work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post
books, yes, but on a kindle, with a solar charged battery charger.
Then one day, the technology fails and you have zero books. Your whole library gone in a nanosecond because one of the tens of thousands of components in the labyrinth of Chinese circuitry gave up the ghost. Ever seen Rube Goldberg drawings? That's what modern electronics is. I do have a kindle. It's great to save clutter. It's where my novels and other entertainment-oriented readings are located. But I would never trust any important book to kindle other than as a secondary, backup convenience.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,961,611 times
Quote:
Books!

I agree - reference materials will be crucial. We can't know and remember everything, that's why stuff gets written down

I always think it's weird that people in post-SHTF shows NEVER hit the libraries and universities when they're scavenging -- but not one of them really knows how to fix the crap they own or build stuff they need

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I do have a kindle. It's great to save clutter. It's where my novels and other entertainment-oriented readings are located. But I would never trust any important book to kindle other than as a secondary, backup convenience.
I agree with you on this one - my Kindle is packed with pleasure-reading books and backups or trial copies of reference books, but my bookshelves are full of only reference books that I've decided are useful and wish to keep. I've copied critical information from those books, reduced in scale, and keep it in a binder in my BOB just in case I have to abandon my bookshelf.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times
That kindle just might be a good idea. I don't have one but I sure do have more books than I can carry in a pick up truck.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM

A Kindle, or other solid state electronic storage device, really isn't that much more complicated to repair than a book is to print, bind and repair Backup hardcopies in case of electronic failure is always an excellent idea; but electronic backup in case of fire, flood or immediate evac is also an excellent idea. My Kindle flew off the dashboard at 50 mph and bounced across the highway a few dozen times into a puddle of slushy mud... still works and still charges with my tiny portable solar panel. If the battery ever stops charging, I can still read with that panel while the sun is up because the B&W "digital ink" Kindles only take a teeny teeny amount of power to redraw the "ink" when you turn the page

Now, backlit LCD type reading devices require much more power because they have to remain lit to view the data... but they do show color, which makes some diagrams a LOT more useful.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times
Missing would you know if the Foxfire series is on kindle? Other older and assorted like books too?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,631,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post
books, yes, but on a kindle, with a solar charged battery charger. better yet, on microfiche, with a hand held 24X magnifyer to let you read them., which can be used to start fires, on sunny days. With them on fiche, you can have 100's of books with almost no bulk or weight.
I read an article about these in the late Seventies but they seemed to disappear because of the cost of materials to be copied. Do you know of a source?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Missing would you know if the Foxfire series is on kindle? Other older and assorted like books too?
The newer Foxfire "Classic" editions (9-12) and several of their "Americana Library" series are available in Kindle format, and I believe the Foxfire Fund is currently working to publish the other volume in Kindle format as well.

A large number of older/historical books are available FREE in Kindle format and PDF (which can be viewed on a Kindle) from the California Digital Library archives, colleges & universities, and other online digital libraries.

There are a huge number of Storey publishing (Country Skills, etc) and other self-sufficiency and survival skill type books available in Kindle format for purchase on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness