Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So what exactly are people waiting for? do they plan on going down with the ship? If people are so sure America is doomed,why not move to a place where the threat of economic collapse wont be so debilitating, if you are so concerned about preparedness.. Remote south seas island? Canadas northern Wilderness,if people actually wait until the actual collapse it will be too late to escape..or are they not sure about buying into the hype of the impending collapse?

Alone in the Wilderness - YouTube
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not "waiting" for anything in particular. I can't predict the future. I can, and do, play "what if." But it's just that--what if. For me, it's not a mentality that I know for a fact that anything in particular is going to happen. It's more a mentality that anything CAN happen. And I'm free to prepare for the list of things that I feel have a higher likelihood of occurring. That list varies from person to person. Will any of them happen? Who knows?

Here's my mentality on the matter: in the months and years before October of 1929, I'm sure my grandparents didn't have a clue as to what was going to happen in the stock market. Neither of them knew much of anything about economics--they were poor farmers. But their "preparations" were simply their lifestyle. They had a cellar full of food not because they knew something bad was going to happen, but because that was the way they had always lived. It was their norm--like a squirrel hiding acorns for winter.

Then came the stock market crash. My grandparents lived through the 30s the same way they'd lived through the 20s and their parents had lived through the 10s, 00s, 1890s, etc. It was a little hard on them as it was on everyone. But, their lives did not drastically change. They were ready for it because that was their lifestyle. They'd always planned for lean times. When I was a child, my grandmother once showed me the uncashed check for a year's grain harvest given them sometime during the early 30s--IIFC, it was for 8 cents! 8 cents for an entire season's worth of work. But they made it through the 30s without losing their farm or starving because they lived a wise lifestyle of "preparedness," not because they knew anything in particular was certain to happen at any given time. It was always "just in case" with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not "waiting" for anything in particular. I can't predict the future. I can, and do, play "what if." But it's just that--what if. For me, it's not a mentality that I know for a fact that anything in particular is going to happen. It's more a mentality that anything CAN happen. And I'm free to prepare for the list of things that I feel have a higher likelihood of occurring. That list varies from person to person. Will any of them happen? Who knows?

Here's my mentality on the matter: in the months and years before October of 1929, I'm sure my grandparents didn't have a clue as to what was going to happen in the stock market. Neither of them knew much of anything about economics--they were poor farmers. But their "preparations" were simply their lifestyle. They had a cellar full of food not because they knew something bad was going to happen, but because that was the way they had always lived. It was their norm--like a squirrel hiding acorns for winter.

Then came the stock market crash. My grandparents lived through the 30s the same way they'd lived through the 20s and their parents had lived through the 10s, 00s, 1890s, etc. It was a little hard on them as it was on everyone. But, their lives did not drastically change. They were ready for it because that was their lifestyle. They'd always planned for lean times. When I was a child, my grandmother once showed me the uncashed check for a year's grain harvest given them sometime during the early 30s--IIFC, it was for 8 cents! 8 cents for an entire season's worth of work. But they made it through the 30s without losing their farm or starving because they lived a wise lifestyle of "preparedness," not because they knew anything in particular was certain to happen at any given time. It was always "just in case" with them.
Two words: "Amen, bruddah!" Folks get their collective panties in a wad, and then get all hot-and-bothered, over something that is as simple and plain as daylight. As a direct result they make it far more complicated than it needs to be.

-- Nighteyes, aka The Old Fart

Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM

42 posts, read 79,638 times
AT first I'd go into survival mode, if it's just me then I don't require much to survive food wise and I'd most likely already have atleast 6mths of food, since I've made sure I always lived near large water sources i.e. lakes, streams, oceans, rivers, natural springs etc. my water would be taken care of. So survival as far as intake wise I'd be good.

Next I'd go to local government Mayor, City Council Members Sheriff/Police and see what they are doing, my assumption most would stay put cause really where are u going to go. I'd listen to what my local groups had to say, and if it at all came across as if it was going to be the have and have nots or survival of the fittest then I'd first start by taking out the local Hiearchy First the Chief of Police as many would turn to him cause of his potential know how, then the Mayor. At which point we should be able to work everything out hopefully for the greater good everyone working together. If not then more would have to go until the citizens came together and ran everything as a whole not putting individuals in charge.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM

If I had a family everything would change I'm sure we'd have atleast a few months worth of goods to live off of, but after that I'd be in the same shoes as many others forced to fend for ourselves and I'd go to the homes that were 2nd homes for the rich and well to do and stake a claim to a home that would better suit my family.

Then I'd set out to scavenge and survival of the fittest, all while trying to work w/ my locals to come together for the greater good, as long as there would be others acting as individuals then I'd be forced to do the same! At some point we'd all come together!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't envision a scenario with the US collapsing overnight; nor do I see people throwing kids in their jammies into their respective cars and abandoning their homes in the first 24 hours.

I'd fill my tub up with water and head to work. I would probably throw a rifle and some extra mags in the car just in case.
The Movie red dawn actually originally was looesly based off of a scenario that the US Govt came up w/ of potential attacks on the US, while I honestly have believed that we are more than likely to face an internal threat vs external, that being said once we are volnerable if such a scenario as depicted in the short lived TV show JERICO, I see our enemies coming after us then and we'd be so weak we'd fall quickly.

Given what happened to those Nuclear weapon transfers sometime ago going across country without any real authorization that lets you know that we aren't to far away from something like that happening. So many of our military today are pupets it's scary they will just do things just because they were told to.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not going to worry until I turn on the TV to see what is happening and all the channels are off the air and the radio is dead. That's the point to start worrying.

I can't imagine any sort of public reaction to the dollar being dropped as the world's preferred currency. The public just isn't that informed and the general public certainly doesn't appear to understand the concept of consequences. Cause and effect involves too much thinking to be worth considering.

Instead there will be a lot of whinging about high prices and maybe the "rich" should be made to pay for the goods for everyone to make the price go back down. Faces will turn towards Washington, demanding that the Pres take care of them.

(yes, riots in the streets when the entitlements disappear, but it won't happen until the check doesn't arrive.)
UH hasn't that already happened? I mean on 2 occasions that I can recall since my adult life in the mid 90's and again recently the government shut down millions of Federal Employees were sent home and not paid, even many that were kept on as essential personnel did so w/ out any compensation, while the military Vet's were paid under the first go around this last one, only the military was kept paid veterans were not.

I'm sure a lot of this was political gamesmanship but what does it say about our elected officials that would play w/ our country's wellbeing like that, funny and worrisome part was they all still got paid as the rest of country did not.

Honestly how long does anyone think this country could go if we ever experience

Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
roll a joint and relax... we're in an isolated area here in Brookings, SD... the large city folk wouldn't even be able to make it here on a tank of gas... and there's plenty of energy sources in our state from windmills literally 20 miles away to hydroelectric dams in the middle of the state... of course that energy would probably get 'sold' to the highest bidder...

What am I talking about here... nothing is going to happen. It would take a large scale EMP event to do any significant damage.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

And that's exactly it - self-sufficiency and preparedness is a lifestyle. It has to "suit" you or else it won't work. Yes, everyone should have some water and cans, maybe some rice and flour in the pantry but past that it becomes a burden with no obvious goal, UNLESS it is your lifestyle.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Yes, everyone should have some water and cans, maybe some rice and flour in the pantry but past that it becomes a burden with no obvious goal, UNLESS it is your lifestyle.
And just think if each person had those few cans, the rice and flour, and the water. Think of the potential disaster that could be declared "never was." And it so easy for us in our modern world to do. It costs next to nothing compared to the foolishness we spend our money on. Yet very few will do it.

Perhaps it should be mandated. Kidding.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
roll a joint and relax... we're in an isolated area here in Brookings, SD... the large city folk wouldn't even be able to make it here on a tank of gas... and there's plenty of energy sources in our state from windmills literally 20 miles away to hydroelectric dams in the middle of the state... of course that energy would probably get 'sold' to the highest bidder...

What am I talking about here... nothing is going to happen. It would take a large scale EMP event to do any significant damage.
As those who follow my posts know I have always believed that location is paramount. But even those who have chosen a good location or who live there by chance must be ready for problems and maintain clear minds. Based upon the remarks of the quoted poster I suspect that I'd consider him a liability and a potential threat in any abnormal situation, let alone TEOTWAWKI. Not everyone in the country will survive.

Does anyone think he's likely to survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness