Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times

Advertisements

....." and with a felony record they may not let him in "....

maybe that..felony record.....is going to make it hard to find a job.

Some times the SERIOUS mistakes ( yes, I call a felony serious) limits your opportunities in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:53 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
I think a few posters are way off base by insisting it is the mothers responsibility to help out her son ( a felon ) when she has limited money and doing so would be a severe hardship for her.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I think a few posters are way off base by insisting it is the mothers responsibility to help out her son ( a felon ) when she has limited money and doing so would be a severe hardship for her.
I agree with the quoted above. Time for the son to stand on his own two feet and seek resources for himself. I also agree with the poster that suggested he stay put and look for work where he is. He needs to contact Social Services and see what services might be available to him.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 PM

71 posts, read 80,883 times
You don't know what the felony was for. You would be surprised at what can get you a felony these days. downloading music, taking mail from someone mailbox, failing to report food service tips, unregistered handgun to name a few.

Anyway, I thought there would be more useful survival tips here than the usual call social services which I never would have thought to do. I was looking more for supplies needed, safety tips, ways to earn money, transportation, places to stay, etc.

I do plan to help him.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trembler View Post
You don't know what the felony was for. You would be surprised at what can get you a felony these days. downloading music, taking mail from someone mailbox, failing to report food service tips, unregistered handgun to name a few.

Anyway, I thought there would be more useful survival tips here than the usual call social services which I never would have thought to do. I was looking more for supplies needed, safety tips, ways to earn money, transportation, places to stay, etc.

I do plan to help him.
A felony listed is still a felony. Some places dont care what it is for.

Tips for being homeless: a can opener, a blanket, a coat, something for water, personal hygiene items, a minute cell phone so he can at least call 911 if need be, odd jobs can make money on craigslist, hotels, rent rooms.

and helping him be homeless is not helping him. Helping him better himself is helping him.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Ways to make a few $$$ is just about every major city has day labor jobs where you congregate in a place and go out on jobs for a day.//

Another quick$10-$20 would be selling your blood plasma, once every week or so.
Ultimately the lad has to get a fulltime job, truck driving is a job thats in demand in most cities..
At this point he may as well stay in whatever city he is in as i cant see his options improving by going to another city unless there is family there willing to help him out.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Heres a list of some of those day labor jobs in various cities.
Hire a Day Laborer - Locate a Day Laborer Center Near You | Hire a Day Laborer - Workers you can trust, work you can rely on.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
I have a son early 20s who is about to be homeless. He was victim of violence last year (held hostage at gunpoint) and lost nearly everything because of it. He was staying with a relative but they are having hard times and they asked him to leave. I am barely making ends meet and can't afford to send him a ticket here as I live overseas.

I think he could find a job if he went to a city as right now he is in a very rural town, think population of 3000 people where there is no work and he has no car.

What cities would be good to find a job if you were homeless? He can do restaurant work, cleaning, basic office work, care taking of sick or elderly.

Do you think he should make a will work for food sign to try to get some money and a job? Is it even legal to do that these days? Are there resources to help people get on their feet like housing, food, etc.?

check with his local social services and also check with the local salvation army.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:51 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,217 times
Quote:

I do plan to help him.
The things you are describing are really band-aids. He's in for a rough ride and possibly a short life if he can't get his head to a point where gainful employment in a place that can sustain him indefinitely is a reality. If he's committed to being defeated, you're not going to be able to help.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:

I do plan to help him.
You sound like an enabler. Your son is a felon (he broke the law, it wasn't a misdemeanor, so stop making excuses). The best thing you can do for him is leave him be, or he will take you down with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness