Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,305 times

Advertisements

The last couple years I've discovered wool socks after being raised and spending 30+ years wearing cotton socks.

Having discovered the functionality & durability & temperature regulating & wicking properties of wool, I'm now wondering...people have known about this for centuries...so WHY ON EARTH DO COTTON SOCKS EVEN EXIST? They are horrible and have no such beneficial properties as wool, important to care for the needs of our feet which do so much and go through so much.

Choosing to post this in Self sufficiency & preparedness rather than Fashion-beauty-style-etc because I appeal to the die hard wisdom of the Self-sufficiency crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:40 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Having discovered the functionality & durability & temperature regulating & wicking properties of wool...
We here have known that for eons. No BOB is complete without a spare pair of wool socks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Choosing to post this in Self sufficiency & preparedness rather than Fashion-beauty-style-etc because I appeal to the die hard wisdom of the Self-sufficiency crowd.
Can't vouch for that. In general, there is plenty of wisdom here. However, they've been known to get into food fights like on every other forum around here. Your wool socks could get dirty!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Cotton is comfortable and cheap compared to wool.....

I used to have silk undersocks to wear under the wool.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
As coalman said, they're comfortable and cheap. They're also cooler in the summer and not as itchy as wool.

Over all the decades I've been around, I found wool to be too itchy against the skin. They're now using Merino wool a lot more which addressed that issue for me.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Wool is great for winter cold. But... they itch. And that becomes annoying.

Cotton socks are cool in the summer (relatively speaking) and comfy.

They both have their place. You know... the old, "variety is the spice of life," line?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Finding pure wool socks unless you knit them yourself is tough, and they can be pretty cost prohibitive. Most of the stuff I see in sporting goods stores is a blend and you're lucky to get 20% wool in them.

Personally, wool shirt, wool pants, socks and hat's are a way of life, but you do have to wear something under them or they will irritate your skin especially in tender areas like armpits.

Still, the OP had good information.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Itchy Wool Socks?

I wear these year-round, and they never itch. Made in USA of 85% merino lambswool, and spandex:

Ten-Mile Merino Wool Crew Socks by WOOLRICH® The Original Outdoor Clothing Company

They come in over-the-calf height, as well. Itchy socks are usually made of ragg wool, which is cheap but inferior for serious wear. And if you're sitting in a deer stand, nothing beats Cabela's Deluxe Cold Weather Hunting socks, which are also merino wool.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
I had to stop buying them. I have too many.
I bought one expensive pair, as a treat, a month in the Winters.
Could be $17!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM

983 posts, read 996,083 times
I was thinking of replacing my Smartwool hiking socks after eight years on the trail. I looked at them closer, and they're perfect! Wool socks just don't wear out.
I have five pair of wool socks for dressware. Going to buy five more, it's worth the investment. When the cotton socks wear out, no more cotton.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I have five pair of wool socks for dressware. Going to buy five more, it's worth the investment. When the cotton socks wear out, no more cotton.
It's not even a matter of cost, "Cotton Kills" and should never be worn during any type of winter outdoor activity where the potential exists for you to get stuck there. Not only does wool keep you dry it will continue to provide insulation even after it's wet. Once cotton socks get wet you either need to dry them out or best case is kiss your feet goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness