Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I'll clarify for you, ognend.

I would have left the roadway, and done as some suggested, waiting in the car until his next move. I would have my weapon at the ready, to defend myself if aggressed against. I have no way of predicting what his move would have been at that point. But I certainly would have left the roadway, knowing that I COULD protect myself if need-be.

Yep, I was panicked. But also prepared to act decisively upon his next move.

Let's assume he exits his car the way he did: yelling at me, but showing no weapon. I would have warned him that I am armed. He needs to get back into his vehicle. If he shows an unwillingness to do this, or aggresses more, and I feel my life is in danger.......I think we know what comes next.

Let's assume he simply pulls in behind me, in front, or next to. Again, I would sit, and wait, to see his next move.

I know you may want to hear how I would "brandish" the weapon...Merely telling him I have one may not change his reaction, or might incite him to act more aggressively...Without even showing a weapon. In either case, after exiting the roadway, the next move is his.

The final move will hopefully be mine. What my intentions are, very clear: defend my right to live a fear-free life. Thugs who threaten others LIVES, lose theirs.

Good answer

Sounds to me like you have your head on straight. If you do get a firearm, go through the training and learn how to handle situations where you may be forced to use deadly force.
Training can really help you think and handle an adverse situation to help avoid having to employ deadly force.

You sound like someone that is rational and emotionally capable enough to benefit from the training and could employ it to your benefit if you are ever confronted in that manner again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Arming oneself seems to me, by definition, to imply that one is no longer ignorant of dangers and wants to improve his chances of survival in a dangerous situation.
Why would you wrongly assume that someone like me is ignorant or careless about dangers? I improve my chances by living sensibly and cautiously - in fact, it was my alertness that saved me in this situation - but I don't live in paranoia, and I look objectively at the odds.

As for Oppossum - it's odd to me that someone would append "hahaha" when talking about killing and rape.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,893,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Why would you wrongly assume that someone like me is ignorant or careless about dangers? I improve my chances by living sensibly and cautiously - in fact, it was my alertness that saved me in this situation - but I don't live in paranoia, and I look objectively at the odds.
You started it making a statement (and repeating it) that owning and carrying a firearm = living in fear or in paranoia. I mocked you and mirrored your statement.

Now, I'd like to add that fear in itself isn't a bad thing. The fear comes to us when our brain registers danger based on our previous experience, and we cannot control it directly (well, once you gain new experience - you might've not have the same fear again). But there's nothing inherently good or bad in having fear, it's how you act when you have one, makes a difference.

And just because someone is paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat his face

Old 07-06-2015, 06:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I also have a recommendation, another Taurus, but this one is a 9mm pistol, the PT-111.

This is a very compact, easily concealable pistol that is often used by LEO's as a backup weapon. It comes with 2 magazines, each holding 12 rounds. It's a full double-action with 3-dot sights, and its accuracy is quite good - more than good enough for "close encounters of the worst kind". Oh, and yes, I own a couple of these...one for my wife, who loves its compact size. The price is right, too!
Anything that works is fine. However, there is one feature of the revolver that makes it very desirable in an outdoor encounter. That's the fact that there are no empty cases scattered around with fingerprints and DNA. Firing shot is even better because there's no way to identify the gun from rifling marks. There are incidents on the road that happen far from prying eyes with no likelihood of discovery for hours or days. The wise course may be to simply drive away. It certainly saves inconveniece irrespective of how reasonable the law is. Think also of what you would do in lonely country without a gun.

I'm not alone in my thinking, Julian Hatcher, gun writer and experimenter as well as Chief of Ordnance of the US Army during World War II made essentially the same statement.

I carry as part of my EDC a S&W Model 638 loaded with Magsafe. The Magsafe rounds which are devastating to soft targets are cups full of shot which only open inside the target.

The shrouded hammer of the 638 allows single action shooting which is critical. I'm a fan of J-frames in general and this one in particular.

This is what I always have, but there's room in my vehicles for more. That's why I have the Judge as well.

Product: Model 638

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

Here are links to Hatcher's most important works. They're critical for the survivalist.

This is without question the best introduction to guns I've ever read, It's often found bound with Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers in older editions.

Textbook of Firearms Investigation, Identification and Evidence (The Firearms Classics Library): Julian S Hatcher: Amazon.com: Books

Here are two more gems packed full of information for us.

Amazon.com: Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers: Their Ammunition, Ballistics and Use (9781629145198): Julian S. Hatcher: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Hatchers-Noteb...julian+hatcher

Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yes, that is MY OPINION of what I would do if in that situation. Again I never wrote that the OP was trying to force a confrontation. I DID read his post and understand how HE reacted.

I do not feel pulling over into a well lit parking lot, calling the Police and sitting tight "forcing" a confrontation. I call it a good defensive posture. It would be entirely up to the aggressor if he wanted a confrontation. I feel it is much safer if the vehicles are not moving.

You said:

You said "In my opinion it is best to stop and see if he has a problem with me that he is willing to die for."

. Again I never wrote that the OP was trying to force a confrontation. I DID read his post and understand how HE reacted.

I sad YOU are wanting a confrontation. Got it?[/quote]

(note - since you did not use the quote feature properly everything you posted is in red)

No I don't. Got it?

I firmly believe an armed individual is better off pulling over into a well lit area and stopping. How could this be seen as provoking a confrontation?

Why should I risk my life trying to outrun someone in my car? Why would I escalate the situation by playing road games?

I pull off the roadway into a well lit parking lot, call the police and prepare to defend myself IF this individual decides HE is going to confront me.

It's funny that you even brought up that I want a confrontation. Seems to me I am already IN a confrontation and the best way to disengage is to stop.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not exactly.

A spare tire is there to help the situation. A gun always makes things worse.

OP handled it, and it's now over. Had he had a gun, he would have been looking for a chance to use it instead of looking for a chance to get away.
I disagree with how you have summed up my intentions. I am offended, and i wonder about YOUR intentions, by attempting to paint this picture of me as trigger happy.

Deeply offended.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
I disagree with how you have summed up my intentions. I am offended, and i wonder about YOUR intentions, by attempting to paint this picture of me as trigger happy.

Deeply offended.
People of this sort constantly come to this forum for the sole purpose of attacking people who wish to live safely and independently. It's more pleasant to ignore them and not make any response.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
Thank you Happy in Wyoming. I value your inputs, far more than any of those from people with their own agenda to push upon the rest of us.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

Deeply offended.
Well, I am offended at the way you are singling out MY posts from all these other contributions.

LOL Not really.

Your words speak for themselves, Ash.

You may have one intent in mind when you write them, but you need to consider that they may be coming across in a way you did NOT intend.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Let's review the words you actually used:

Quote:

... it became a terrifying scenario.

... no law enforcement ever came to assist.

I was panicked, with rapid heart rate and sweat. I was thinking of my wife and my two daughters at home, about 5 miles south of our location.

I will never allow myself to be a victim again.

I hope to find a smaller weapon that my wife and I both can use, and we will be taking it with us from this point forward.

I will not live in fear in these United States of America.
Quote:

It was such a panicked situation for me, and I expected the driver to exit his car with a firearm at any moment.

I will be prepared for my next road trip.
Quote:

I would never come on a public forum and make statements that I was going to "use the weapon". Um, you just did ^^^.

I had no defense but to run. But with a gun, your defense option would be ... ?

I was panicked. But I feel confident, at nearly 40 years of age and no history of acting out in an aggressive manner, that I could have diffused the situation by letting our aggressor know that I was prepared to stop his action, if he couldn't stop himself.

I would have exited the roadway MUCH sooner had I had this level of protection.

I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM OR BE BULLIED IN MY COUNTRY, ever again.
Quote:

I would have my weapon at the ready, to defend myself if aggressed against.

Yep, I was panicked. But also prepared to act decisively upon his next move.

I feel my life is in danger.......I think we know what comes next.

The final move will hopefully be mine. What my intentions are, very clear: defend my right to live a fear-free life. Thugs who threaten others LIVES, lose theirs.
Quote:

What's wrong with defending one's life from a criminal, by threatening the life of the criminal in return?

If we want to get our country back, we have to show some backbone to these lawless types. No disrespect meant to you by any of my comments.
You seem to have, BASED ON WHAT YOU'VE WRITTEN, a naive idea that if you merely flashed the weapon, just showed it to the guy, that he would back off. And you've said here, about half a dozen times, that you would shoot if threatened again. Read it ^^^.

That's doesn't mean you're "trigger-happy," but you are letting your emotions guide this decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness