Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
My experience in GA was non-eventful. But the travel back home took a dark turn. Just as I'm entering Birmingham city limits near 9:30 pm, a car approached my car from behind at a high speed, flashing lights. I moved over a lane, on I-459 South, to allow him to pass. He did pass, then immediately came over into my lane and locked up the car brakes. I responded, then went around him to his left. He attempted to sideswipe me from a dead standstill, but I was too fast and avoided him. Essentially, we repeated this same driving technique for the next 10 miles, at widely varying speeds, each time, the driver would pull in front of me, and come to a complete stop, on a divided 6 lane limited access highway with a 70mph speed limit. Other traffic was trying to avoid what was happening, and it became a terrifying scenario.
You want us to believe you played race car on a 6 lane highway at 9:30 pm at 70 mph for 10 miles. You didn't exit and no one seeing this called 911? What exactly is speaking "hispanic?"

Then you try to go to the police station and it suddenly isn't there anymore? You ignored all of the exits that clearly indicate public places like gas stations and restaurants where there would be a lot of people, security cameras, cell phones, etc.

Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 03:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
I'm not sure it makes sense to completely change your stance on something based on a random one-time experience that may well never occur again.

I was also recently in a very scary, potentially lethal situation, and it hadn't crossed my mind to do anything differently in terms of arming myself.

It occurs to me that my stance is the one of truly not living in fear. Arming yourself seems, by definition, to imply that you are indeed living in fear.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Isn't it about time that we addressed the OP's concerns? This is the survivalist forum so let's get to the topic at hand.

Most vehicle confrontations are at short range; we seldom need worry about long distance shots. Based upon my tests I have come to the conclusion that the Taurus Judge, 3'' chamber, 3'' barrel, stainless, is just about ideal. Loaded with five rounds of five 000 Buck it will do the job. Should our target try to move away the heavy projectiles are more likely to have ample inertia to retain their lethality for a sufficent distance. Don't worry about shot spreading too fast; the distances are very short. Someone who has never fired a gun can learn more than enough in a few minutes.

Do not use small shot sizes. Using #6 shot at a distance of perhaps 6' I found that it would penetrate only one side of a heavy plastic juice bottle. We need better penetration than this.

Bill Hickock carried a Colt Navy loaded with five rounds of .36 cal. round ball. The diameter of 000 Buck is .36; they're the same. That means that we're throwing as much lead with each shot as Hickock did emptying his gun. The oldtimers, the cap and ball crowd, used pointed bullets for hunting but liked round balls for men; the laws of physics haven't changed.

I've appended several useful links including one that lists all sorts of interesting .410 defense loads. 000 Buck has the longest and best reputation as a man stopper, but survivalists like to see it all and experiment with all of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNFJuTUXB4o

Taurus 4510TKR-3MAG Revolver | 4510 .45/.410 5 Rounds Stainless Finish

Winchester Super-X Ammo 410 Bore 3 000 Buckshot 5 Pellets Box of 5

Remington .410 Ammunition Results

Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,893,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Arming yourself seems, by definition, to imply that you are indeed living in fear.
Arming oneself seems to me, by definition, to imply that one is no longer ignorant of dangers and wants to improve his chances of survival in a dangerous situation.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 AM

149 posts, read 182,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not sure it makes sense to completely change your stance on something based on a random one-time experience that may well never occur again.

I was also recently in a very scary, potentially lethal situation, and it hadn't crossed my mind to do anything differently in terms of arming myself.

It occurs to me that my stance is the one of truly not living in fear. Arming yourself seems, by definition, to imply that you are indeed living in fear.
Those "fear-free" lifestyles usually end when someone is raped, beaten up or killed, by criminals (who often go unpunished), hahaha. Perhaps chanting some mantras will deter those criminals--peace, love and hugs...and don't forget to turn another cheek! (some people need more than one lesson)

Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 AM

149 posts, read 182,058 times
Big deal, "arrested" for brandishing a gun or discharge...in SELF DEFENSE, when someone tries to kill you with a deadly weapon/a vehicle---the charges would be thrown out. Even if they make it to court (they would not)--better be judged by 12, than carried by 6. Some people like to submit to criminals, kneel before them and take any abuse quietly and thank these animals for leaving them alive...wish them to move to Kalifornia or another fascist police state, where they can be abused by all kinds of filth, without repercussions. I'm finally getting dash and body cameras, thanks for the post/reminder, OP.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
I also have a recommendation, another Taurus, but this one is a 9mm pistol, the PT-111.

This is a very compact, easily concealable pistol that is often used by LEO's as a backup weapon. It comes with 2 magazines, each holding 12 rounds. It's a full double-action with 3-dot sights, and its accuracy is quite good - more than good enough for "close encounters of the worst kind". Oh, and yes, I own a couple of these...one for my wife, who loves its compact size. The price is right, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAol3jwKXvc

Old 07-05-2015, 12:35 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Now, THIS:

is why I wrote that a gun makes a situation worse. Thanks for making my point for me, CB.

Guns do not make a situation worse. People who commit irresponsible behavior do, whether with a gun or other device. I can assure you, the person sitting at a table in a civil court after dispatching a criminal who was bent on taking their life, does not feel the situation was made worse by the device used. I have been in two situations in my life where my gun very likely defused a potentially lethal situation, making the situation better for both me and the other individuals. Personal experience on the street trumps heartfelt but uninformed ideology every time.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:35 PM

400 posts, read 414,347 times
My compact powders my nose. I just stay away from cities and people. What I would like for home defense is a pump action shotgun with a barrel like a cannon. Stick that out the crack in the door.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:15 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I do not know what might have prompted this.
What happened here was one of two things.

They wanted to carjack you. OR

They wanted to intentionally cause an accident for an insurance scam. This stuff is common in California. They do exactly what these guys were doing to you.

You were almost the victim of some kind of crime. Guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness