Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

IF the OP buys a gun, and IF he ever has another situation like this, I feel certain he will experience and remember the feelings he felt during THIS situation, and he will wish to have a do-over.
Thanks for all the replies. Really amazing how a thread, 8 pages later, gets twisted into such a crap storm of he said/she said....

Let me clear the air for some of you: I would never come on a public forum and make statements that I was going to "use the weapon". That is the kind of thing that brings a lot of negative attention to a person like myself. There are far too many crazies and far too many random shootings in this country. That's the kind of comments that can and SHOULD bring authorities to my door.

What I said, is that I WOULD NOT BE BULLIED again like that. I had no defense but to run. I was panicked. But I feel confident, at nearly 40 years of age and no history of acting out in an aggressive manner, that I could have diffused the situation by letting our aggressor know that I was prepared to stop his action, if he couldn't stop himself.

I would have exited the roadway MUCH sooner had I had this level of protection. I was basically left with no choice but to continue to try to evade, hoping the aggressor would give up. He was unwilling to do so. I assume he was under the influence to have acted this way toward a stranger on a dangerous highway.

Finally, let me address "charleygal", even though I'm wasting my breath and words on someone who is probably an apologist for illegal immigrants. Every word of what I typed was accurate and true, not to the best of my knowledge, but ACCURATE AND TRUE to a TEE. Charleygal, I know you live in a world that is built upon the lies of politicians and media, but I belong to neither of those classes. I was aggressed against, totally unprovoked, buy someone of apparent hispanic descent, who exited his car, and yelled words at me in spanish. That will be the end of my conversation with you, ma'am.

Thanks again to all for your concerns and your thoughts. I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM OR BE BULLIED IN MY COUNTRY, ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
What I said, is that I WOULD NOT BE BULLIED again like that. I had no defense but to run. I was panicked. But I feel confident, at nearly 40 years of age and no history of acting out in an aggressive manner, that I could have diffused the situation by letting our aggressor know that I was prepared to stop his action, if he couldn't stop himself.
Hello! Nice to come back to the thread

Question: how would you have let the aggressor know? By brandishing the weapon?

Quote:
I would have exited the roadway MUCH sooner had I had this level of protection. I was basically left with no choice but to continue to try to evade, hoping the aggressor would give up. He was unwilling to do so. I assume he was under the influence to have acted this way toward a stranger on a dangerous highway.
I am confused - why would you have left the highway earlier if you had a gun?

I am still not clear - what exactly would you have done differently if you had a gun (assuming you weren't as panicked as you were)?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:00 PM

I'll clarify for you, ognend.

I would have left the roadway, and done as some suggested, waiting in the car until his next move. I would have my weapon at the ready, to defend myself if aggressed against. I have no way of predicting what his move would have been at that point. But I certainly would have left the roadway, knowing that I COULD protect myself if need-be.

Yep, I was panicked. But also prepared to act decisively upon his next move.

Let's assume he exits his car the way he did: yelling at me, but showing no weapon. I would have warned him that I am armed. He needs to get back into his vehicle. If he shows an unwillingness to do this, or aggresses more, and I feel my life is in danger.......I think we know what comes next.

Let's assume he simply pulls in behind me, in front, or next to. Again, I would sit, and wait, to see his next move.

I know you may want to hear how I would "brandish" the weapon...Merely telling him I have one may not change his reaction, or might incite him to act more aggressively...Without even showing a weapon. In either case, after exiting the roadway, the next move is his.

The final move will hopefully be mine. What my intentions are, very clear: defend my right to live a fear-free life. Thugs who threaten others LIVES, lose theirs.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Crazies walk (and drive) amongst us. Never exit your vehicle, never roll down the windows.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
I'll clarify for you, ognend.

I would have left the roadway, and done as some suggested, waiting in the car until his next move. I would have my weapon at the ready, to defend myself if aggressed against. I have no way of predicting what his move would have been at that point. But I certainly would have left the roadway, knowing that I COULD protect myself if need-be.

Yep, I was panicked. But also prepared to act decisively upon his next move.

Let's assume he exits his car the way he did: yelling at me, but showing no weapon. I would have warned him that I am armed. He needs to get back into his vehicle. If he shows an unwillingness to do this, or aggresses more, and I feel my life is in danger.......I think we know what comes next.

Let's assume he simply pulls in behind me, in front, or next to. Again, I would sit, and wait, to see his next move.

I know you may want to hear how I would "brandish" the weapon...Merely telling him I have one may not change his reaction, or might incite him to act more aggressively...Without even showing a weapon. In either case, after exiting the roadway, the next move is his.

The final move will hopefully be mine. What my intentions are, very clear: defend my right to live a fear-free life. Thugs who threaten others LIVES, lose theirs.
You're assuming a LOT, including the idea that the "aggressor" will follow some kind of rational movie script.

Ya, we do "KNOW what comes next." There is only one outcome when you are "prepared" like this. FTR, I am not against it, but you need to be honest with yourself about the real, sincere danger of it.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You're assuming a LOT, including the idea that the "aggressor" will follow some kind of rational movie script.

Ya, we do "KNOW what comes next." There is only one outcome when you are "prepared" like this. FTR, I am not against it, but you need to be honest with yourself about the real, sincere danger of it.
WMSN4Life.....You are making assumptions, similar to mine, that this crazy was here either illegally or on some sort of narcotics. So, you're assumptions about my behaviour are as off-base and unfounded as mine.

I hope you are never faced with being a victim. I'm afraid for you, if that were to ever happen. Too many Americans have been given the advice of allowing the criminal to do their deed, in the false pre-tense that non-violence to defend one's self and property will yield a better outcome.

What's wrong with defending one's life from a criminal, by threatening the life of the criminal in return?

If we want to get our country back, we have to show some backbone to these lawless types. No disrespect meant to you by any of my comments.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:23 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Nope. I just wanted to see if you and actually sat down to think about what your moves would have been had you had a weapon such as a gun, now that you had some time to process.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
WMSN4Life.....You are making assumptions, similar to mine, that this crazy was here either illegally or on some sort of narcotics. So, you're assumptions about my behaviour are as off-base and unfounded as mine.

I hope you are never faced with being a victim.
No, I'm not assuming that at all.

I am referring to a criminal attitude and approach to life that has no relation to race or immigration status and that is completely different from the life approach of a dad and "unknown actor" just trying to get home from a job. You are fantasizing about an absolute confrontation, and you must be prepared for an outcome that would be wildly different from the one you have already experienced.

I HAVE been a victim. I have defended myself. I didn't muddle my situation with a manifesto about the fate of our country, though.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
]
Your post #49

You said "In my opinion it is best to stop and see if he has a problem with me that he is willing to die for."

Your definition of confrontation is sure different than mine.
Yes, that is MY OPINION of what I would do if in that situation. Again I never wrote that the OP was trying to force a confrontation. I DID read his post and understand how HE reacted.

I do not feel pulling over into a well lit parking lot, calling the Police and sitting tight "forcing" a confrontation. I call it a good defensive posture. It would be entirely up to the aggressor if he wanted a confrontation. I feel it is much safer if the vehicles are not moving.[/quote]

You said:

You said "In my opinion it is best to stop and see if he has a problem with me that he is willing to die for."

. Again I never wrote that the OP was trying to force a confrontation. I DID read his post and understand how HE reacted.

I sad YOU are wanting a confrontation. Got it?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Based on the O.P.'s account, I will assume to believe this was unprovoked, or unknowingly somehow pissed this other person off. Scary stuff indeed.

I do not own a gun, but I believe that's it's ones right to own one. But in this particular situation , already not knowing what the perpetrator was thinking and already acting against you with a dangerous weapon (car), what scenario could have played out if you had a gun with you? You flash a gun, and then he flashed his, and then what?> Or you flash a gun and he shoots. Or you shoot and he doesn't have a gun?

I'm not saying I have any true idea what you went through, but IMO from very limited information, I think you did the best and safest that you could. You're alive to tell us about it. In such an aggressive situation to begin with, I think any sort of gun wielding may have produced a much worse result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness