Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best State to live in when the SHTF?
Wyoming 6 4.48%
Montana 12 8.96%
North Dakota 1 0.75%
South Dakota 1 0.75%
New Mexico 2 1.49%
Idaho 6 4.48%
Nebraska 3 2.24%
Nevada 3 2.24%
Utah 1 0.75%
Kansas 2 1.49%
Oregon 5 3.73%
Maine 5 3.73%
Colorado 2 1.49%
Iowa 2 1.49%
Oklahoma 2 1.49%
Arkansas 3 2.24%
Arizona 1 0.75%
Mississippi 1 0.75%
Vermont 1 0.75%
Minnesota 3 2.24%
West Virginia 2 1.49%
Missouri 6 4.48%
Alabama 4 2.99%
Texas 9 6.72%
Washington 2 1.49%
Wisconsin 2 1.49%
Louisiana 0 0%
Kentucky 2 1.49%
New Hampshire 4 2.99%
Tennessee 3 2.24%
South Carolina 0 0%
Georgia 4 2.99%
Michigan 2 1.49%
Indiana 0 0%
North Carolina 4 2.99%
Virginia 2 1.49%
Illinois 1 0.75%
California 11 8.21%
Ohio 1 0.75%
Pennsylvania 3 2.24%
Florida 5 3.73%
New York 1 0.75%
Delaware 0 0%
Maryland 0 0%
Connecticut 0 0%
Massachusetts 2 1.49%
Rhode Island 0 0%
New Jersey 2 1.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
the amish will all be robbed, killed or enslaved the first month or 2. Everyone knows about their preps and life style. ditto the mormans. IF you have an adequate food supply stashed up north for the winter, it might be ok to go there for the first year, Then after nearly everyone has died off, Use a boat to travel south, or a diesel vehicle and round up all the stuff you need to set up home base some place where you can grow something. Just cause you go one place for shtf does not mean that you have to STAY there ya know. The record for crossing the US on a bicycle is 8 days, for 3200 miles. It's common to cover 100 miles per day on a bike
Only if people are so stupid as to kill the teachers. While some are, I don't think most are that idiotic.
After all, it's damned hard to enslave anyone when you are starving yourself and are already busy looking over you shoulder at the guys who think like you do. The violent always turn against each other at the very first. None of them play well with others.

After any huge calamity, man made or natural, people band together, good and bad alike. That's how we have survived as a species. Those with the widest knowledge spead among them, those who lack enough folks who know their stuff all die.

You've watched too many bad movies, my friend. The first thing any civilization does is contain the killers within it very quickly.

And your are 100% wrong about the Mormons. Unlike the Amish, they have always been quick to self defense, and have a bloody early history.
But like the Amish, the Mormons also learned it's a lot easier to survive by getting along with the natives. The very reason why the Salt Lake Valley didn't do them all in was because they sought out the local tribes, shared with them and learned from them, then converted them.

Do not believe any group that has survived over a century of life in the U.S. does not have its own effective strategies of group survival. The Amish may be pacifists, but they have never been lambs for the slaughter.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-03-2015 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:38 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Only if people are so stupid as to kill the teachers. While some are, I don't think most are that idiotic. After all, it's damned hard to enslave anyone when you are starving yourself and are already busy looking over you shoulder at the guys who think like you do. The violent always turn against each other at the very first. None of them play well with others.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Quote:
... You've watched too many bad movies, my friend. The first thing any civilization does is contain the killers within it very quickly.

And your are 100% wrong about the Mormons. Unlike the Amish, they have always been quick to self defense, and have a bloody early history.

But like the Amish, the Mormons also learned it's a lot easier to survive by getting along with the natives. The very reason why the Salt Lake Valley didn't do them all in was because they sought out the local tribes, shared with them and learned from them, then converted them.

Do not believe any group that has survived over a century of life in the U.S. does not have its own effective strategies of group survival. The Amish may be pacifists, but they have never been lambs for the slaughter.
Wise words

Old 08-03-2015, 02:01 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I have no illusions of any thing simple, should things go badly for the country.
There are too many varriables and priorities people establish in surival mode.
Being afraid of every thing and every one some will lash out at any thing moving with out reason.
On the other side of the coin ,some don't take any thing seriousy and play a facade of being above it all, trying to maintain control of the chaos.
Those that prepared hoarding stuff but no training will be at a loss, not having established priorities/diciplines .
The minimalist think they will find every thing they need among the ruins , good luck with that.
The spoiled as self absored won't have the humility to learn alternate methods of living cooking and heating and bartering for goods .
Some are so spoiled, they cant go camping with out a motor home.
If there is no electricity, there will be no gas, water, or sewer either.
No communications nor fire department or medical facilities.
Are you prepared to fight a fire and or deal with medical emergencies?
If you are injured , who is watching your back ?
Where will you get water ?
If you don't have a working group presently , your falling behind, the event has already occured.
OK so it hasn't yet ,but the point is, putting it off get's nothing done.
Before the Big Bear /Landers quake ,because we have regular event of snow issues the drills are regualrly practiced and closely worked with the police and fire departments, so we were way ahead of the game when the quake occured.
Training and practice can be fun and challanging , providing every one is on the same page.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not aware of any irony in the Dust Bowl and the following Grapes of Wrath migration, that both sets of my grandparents went through.

When I was a teen I went on two trips to Oklahoma and Missouri for family re-unions. What I was basically told was that farms that had any kind of debt were lost to the banks. Farms that had no debt, the men-folk mostly went to Canada to work in logging camps to earn cash to support their families, who stayed in the region. Some families did stay, but they were not able to actively farm again until many years later.

In 1925, if you were lured by the County Agent into buying a tractor, then you were more likely to be carrying debt and thus lose your farm. If you had stuck to mules during that period of time, ...
I need to look more at which particular areas were really hit by the Dust Bowl. My family was in SE Oklahoma, which is very similar to neighboring NW Louisiana. Their major challenge was having the hard cash to pay taxes.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
The major problem won't be inner city denizens; they won't leave the cities in time.

The major problem will be half-azzed preppers, who will be just prepared enough to get out early enough and far enough--and be well-armed enough--to be a danger to those the truly prepared communities.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 PM

228 posts, read 171,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
there aint gonna BE any stable countries if the US falls, guaranteed.
Bingo. People have these optimistic scenarios for the end of the world....lol

Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM

228 posts, read 171,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Ever hear of ICE FISHING?

Those of us who enjoy it find that it's FUN, not WORK!
Of course I've heard of ice fishing. I also know it is a specialized skill that takes hours and hours of focus and knowledge and specific supplies. I doubt anyone unless the most highly trained in this obscure skill would be able to fulfill enough of their daily caloric needs with it to survive long enough to make it out of a dystopian hell.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:10 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderingaboutstuff View Post
Of course I've heard of ice fishing. I also know it is a specialized skill that takes hours and hours of focus and knowledge and specific supplies. I doubt anyone unless the most highly trained in this obscure skill would be able to fulfill enough of their daily caloric needs with it to survive long enough to make it out of a dystopian hell.
Ice fishing, netting through the ice, trapping through the ice are all very feasible ways to help out the search for daily caloric requirements.
Nothing is guarenteed, but ice isn't an impediment to survival, in fact it's an asset.
It's not obscure, it's a sport practiced by hundreds of thousands all over the world. The equipment doesn't need to be any more specialized than a line and hook, and something to dig through the ice with such as a spud bar or ax.
Bait with a grub or maggot, marshmallow or just a j-i-g or spoon with something bright and reflective fluttering as it moves, and you have the oportunity to ice fish.
In my state, spear fishing through the ice for Northern Pike is very popular and effective.

Ice allows for freedom of movement, good clear highways for moving equipment and supplies, an easier route than overland for transporting heavy loads. Ice also allows you to access areas and resources that may not be available over liquid water.

Ice fishing is fun, but more importantly, it's easier to set out a dozen poles and monitor them covering a larger area than what you can have trailing a boat.

While not a guarenteed way to get a meal, your chances of getting something are at least as good as regular fishing.

Trapping through the ice for beaver is an excellent way to improve your chances of success, plus, many beaver colonies are nearly impossible to access through the swamps/mud/insects during the summer, but during the winter through the ice, you have freedom of movement and can easily walk to the lodge.
A beaver can weigh 40 Lbs or more, and with one beaver you have several excellent fat rich meals as well as a supurb pelt for clothing.

Survival is dependent on your mindset. The main obsticles are in your own mind, there are instead opportunities to improve your chances. You just have to be open to the opportunity and willing to try something new.
Using what is available where you are is the first step. Not discounting something because you don't like it or want to try it only limits your chances of getting a meal.

No one method or strategy will provide for all your needs, but combining all the things that work will.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
FL so you can go to early bird specials

Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Well, I just moved to Hawaii (Big Island) so that's my answer. Oahu (Honolulu) is crowded but lots of empty space here. Nearest McDonalds is 50 miles away! Grow our own bananas and pineapples, lots of wild pigs and chickens. 2500 miles from the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness