Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 AM

136 posts, read 135,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

It's the pants I like most, though--at least one particular pattern. They are very high waist, go up to sort of an inverted W in the back with a cinch buckle, and have buttons for suspenders (which I don't use). They are heavy canvas and stand up to work. I find that, unlike almost EVERY pair of pants made today, they actually stay up without a belt and they aren't so low-waisted that your butt is shining all day. They wouldn't work for someone who is hefty because, in a way, they are a bit like a corset around the middle. They are very different from pants of today, but I find them extremely comfortable. I never have to wear a belt or pull them up. They stay up on their own. All they need is a better selection of colors (black and khaki get old after while). I don't wear them with a tee-shirt, though because, comically, with the extremely high waist and the buttons on top, it kinda does look like I'm wearing a corset under there. And as of yet, I haven't yet seen that "retro" trend for women, let alone men.
There are many companies that make "period correct" clothing for historical re-enactors of just about any time period , but I wouldn't wear the stuff for daily use for a couple of reasons: I don't want to look out of place by wearing period distinct designs, and the stuff on a piece by piece basis is fairly pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
There are many companies that make "period correct" clothing for historical re-enactors of just about any time period , but I wouldn't wear the stuff for daily use for a couple of reasons: I don't want to look out of place by wearing period distinct designs, and the stuff on a piece by piece basis is fairly pricey.
The nice thing about those particular pants is that unless you are tucking the shirt or wearing a tight shirt, they look pretty typical. However, you are right, they are pricey--almost $90 a pair. But, made in USA (not just made in the USA, but made well in the USA), VERY heavy canvas-type material (durable), and comfortable. Pretty much like work-wear from an IFA, but cut differently.

I wouldn't wear them when traveling though. I'd find out what most "regular" folks wore in my intended area and go with that. Blending in is the first defense against becoming a victim.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
I am a smaller woman and I find looking purposeful and bitchy is my best protection. Always know the plan ahead of time.

I could be wearing heels and a miniskirt but my RBF will drive them away.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I have never changed the way I've dressed to travel abroad and I've never been mugged or pickpocketed.

I wear my usual uniform of white jeans and Manolos with a tee literally all over the world in summer and uniform black in winter.

I also wear my jewelry.

1) My senior year in college I had to intern for 10 months for the South Carolina Department of Corrections and I can smell a criminal a mile away. I was taught how to deter criminals. I can f&%$ you up.

2) My husband is a big guy. He's 6'5 and in fantastic shape. He is a Appalachian Mountain boy through and through.

People do not mess with us.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
I am a smaller woman and I find looking purposeful and bitchy is my best protection.
Well, that's a different sort of strategy, but I assume it probably works well most of the time. Males can't really do that sort of thing effectively though (unless seven feet tall and 300 lbs). It would always provoke some toughguy...

Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
"Never dress brighter than the floor."

Leon, The Professional.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
"Never dress brighter than the floor."

Leon, The Professional.
Never stand out.

Tom, Still Alive

Old 03-15-2018, 08:59 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
There is something to people culturally, that makes them easy to spot no matter how they're dressed. For example, I can spot an eastern European from across the room in a US city, just how they hold themselves, etc...Culturally, its different, even though they dress more or less like everyone else and look like it too.

I've been told by an old teacher (that lived in Paris for years) that an American, even one that dresses like most Parisians, looks different by the way he holds and presents himself, even before he speaks.

I think that wearing cargo/tactical pants would just mark you as a target, unless your hiking or something.

I've never found a substitute for good situational awareness, "watching your six" as the Military says, etc...

Old 03-16-2018, 03:32 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
... Simply dressing in something like an olive drab pair of cargo pants (or shorts) tactical style belt, T-Shirt or coat that says "10th Mountain Division" or "Marine Corps", etc. for men, Karate or Martial Arts, Rock Climbing, "Survival Camp Graduate" shirt or coat for women, children, teens, etc.
A street thug is reading the passing crowd looking for an easy prey. They will instantly recognize fellow toughs and give them space [whether those fellow toughs are street thugs or vets makes little difference].

What I read above is a list of costumes that you could wear, in the hope of appearing to be a tough.

A group of marines walking down the street, will be seen as a group of marines regardless of what they are wearing. A group of teens wearing shirts that have 'MARINE' printed on them, will be seen as a group of teens, with some form of fashionable clothes. Nobody cares what the shirts say. What is being said is your body language.

A person can walk with confidence, male or female makes no difference. Present yourself as a weak defenseless prey and the thugs will react to that image you are projecting.

Quote:
... I notice when coming off a hike and stopping at the supermarket or store in my green cargo pants, "Timberland" shirt and hiking boots the "chuggers" (charity muggers) that set up camp by the entrances tend to let me pass in peace over when I am dressed otherwise, and I haven't even gone full "Mountain Division" on them yet.
When coming off a 5-day hike, you are likely tired and focused on where you are going. You do not project timid and defenseless. Nobody cares about what you are wearing.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Never stand out.
See Below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
There is something to people culturally, that makes them easy to spot no matter how they're dressed.
My thoughts on what Happy In Wyoming and others have said about "going native" so to speak and dressing/blending with the locals is it might come off as counter-productive in certain instances. If you are the quintessential "Haole" walking around in an "off the beaten path" area of Hawaii with alot of "locals" you may look ridiculous and stand out MORE if you try to dress like them.

Quote:
I think that wearing cargo/tactical pants would just mark you as a target, unless your hiking or something.
I can see where something too "military" might cause a problem, but if dressed as a hiker/rock climber, etc. who would view you as a target? Maybe in Europe if they thought you had a pre-paid "Eurail Pass" in your pack, but other than that, Cliff Bars and three day old sweaty underwear are not going to be a big score.

Quote:
I've never found a substitute for good situational awareness, "watching your six" as the Military says, etc...
Agreed! I am a major proponent of S.A. and have made several posts on this forum regarding same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A person can walk with confidence, male or female makes no difference. Present yourself as a weak defenseless prey and the thugs will react to that image you are projecting.
When coming off a 5-day hike, you are likely tired and focused on where you are going. You do not project timid and defenseless. Nobody cares about what you are wearing.
Very good points^^^

My takeaway here so far from all the thoughts and input are the following:

A. Blend in when you can, use natural or learned skills (native looks/appearance, language skills, etc.) along with wardrobe to not stand out and be noticeable.

B. Present yourself with confidence, have your plan ahead of time if you are able so not to appear the "lost tourist", etc. and have heightened situational awareness.

C. If blending in not entirely possible/practical, make alternate wardrobe choices as would make yourself feel more comfortable, confident, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness