Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Whoa....mule. I don't believe for one second that the government is going to let another stock market crash with people jumping out windows and committing suicide like in the 20's. Just won't happen. Why the panic? I do believe that this government is run by the people and for the people just like it says and that unless we all stop our belly aching and work as a PEOPLE, there will be some sort of collapse but not as drastic as you are saying.
I think its time that we stop blaming Obama for all that has happened. We are responsible for some of it and as Americans should take some of that responsibility in hand and make this government work again. Yes we are angry, yes we are out of work, yes the welfare roles are increasing but it is time we turned that all around and worked together to make things better. Get our kids on birth control to stop the surge of welfare Moms and Dads. Go to big business people and ask them to help create jobs, take a menial job until things break and above all, stop bad mouthing the only country where there is true freedom to be who you want, live how you want and do whatever you want.
There are people out on the streets demonstrating about their sexual preferences while there are people out on the streets with no homes, no food, no work...take all that energy and go work in a shelter and listen to those people's issues. Who you sleep with and why can't hold a candle to some of their sadness..do something positive. Once everyone works to start paying things forward, things that benefit our country, this country will turn around. A great person once said:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country". JFK it is time for this country to heal and it can't heal until we all find a way to help her heal.
Great post, if we lived in la-la-land. Unfortunately, the government is run by INTERESTS, not PEOPLE. How much say do you have in the wars going on? How about the financial sector bail-out (while your own house is under water, due to no fault of your own)? How about the fracking or the environmental demise or the BP oil spill (hey, do you watch their commercials on TV? In a few years they will spin it that it was the best thing that happened to the Gulf!). Do you have any say in the Monsanto lawsuits against farmers who happen to have Monstanto patented seeds drift into their fields? How about the obesity rates in the country? Or the war on drugs? Or....

The above utopia you wrote would be great if everyone was on board and agreed on everything - we all know that will never happen though.
Unfortunately too many opposing interests and money both create an environment where the best funded interest wins.

This is in the short term.

In the long term, well, we never really thought of the long term - that's why we are here

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, I expect riots but they will do no good. The jobs are not coming back and rioting will not change that.

before the riots happen, the fedgov will have a bank holiday. when that happens, the rioting will start soon after, especially when they cannot take their money out of the bank in cash.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
before the riots happen, the fedgov will have a bank holiday. when that happens, the rioting will start soon after, especially when they cannot take their money out of the bank in cash.
I can't agree. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Average do not riot, not in this country. Their nature is not going to suddenly change. Any rioters of tomorrow will be tha same people as the rioters of the past. They're the people who put little value on their lives and values if they actually have any.

The rioting sort of people don't, in general, have bank accounts; they would have no interest in a bank holiday or even any idea what it is or means.

Any odd event can spark a riot; think of previous riots. But at bottom race will be the issue as it has always been. Live in the right place and your guns will be strictly a hobby. Carrying will be for fun, not necessary from fear. Isn't that the better way to live?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I can't agree. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Average do not riot, not in this country. Their nature is not going to suddenly change. Any rioters of tomorrow will be tha same people as the rioters of the past. They're the people who put little value on their lives and values if they actually have any.

The rioting sort of people don't, in general, have bank accounts; they would have no interest in a bank holiday or even any idea what it is or means.

Any odd event can spark a riot; think of previous riots. But at bottom race will be the issue as it has always been. Live in the right place and your guns will be strictly a hobby. Carrying will be for fun, not necessary from fear. Isn't that the better way to live?

partially true. but you have to remember that all it takes is for 1 person to not be able to get their money from the bank, and it can cause a run on the bank.
I almost did this in 2004 with wells fargo. if a bank doesnt give money out and it starts a run on the bank, cops will show up and all it will take is for someone stupid to fire their pistol to cause rioting to start. think of it happening in a large city such as LA.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
partially true. but you have to remember that all it takes is for 1 person to not be able to get their money from the bank, and it can cause a run on the bank.
I almost did this in 2004 with wells fargo. if a bank doesnt give money out and it starts a run on the bank, cops will show up and all it will take is for someone stupid to fire their pistol to cause rioting to start. think of it happening in a large city such as LA.
In Compton? Sure. In West LA? No.

Dogs don't climb trees; cats don't chase cars.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I've always thought about this and wondered;
If the world radically changes (for the worse) as we know it today.
Would I still wanna live in it?
I'm not so sure I'd like to live in a world that is much worse than it is today, so I haven't taken any steps to ensure my future survival.

I try to enjoy my life and don't worry about armagedon or a global financial collapse.
Given our fragile nature, human beings have worried about this issue since the very beiging of our existence on this planet.
The end will come one day - that's inevitable - but I personally chose not to overly worry about it.
Zactly.

I 'bought the farm' not out of fear or trepidation, but because, well, I like having my own property, my own plants and fruit trees, my own animals, and even my own hunting areas. I like being (more or less) alone, I like a slower pace, I like working till the sweat drips off my nose. I like stoking the woodstove for the nightly winter fires, and I like living the way I do. I am not hiding in my basement, sleeplessly, guarding my stores, rifle clutched in my white-fingered hands - I work hard, eat well, and sleep soundly in my own bedroom. Afraid? Of what? Nothing.

I hate the way that plastic materialism, self-empowerment on the backs of others, and uneducated idiocy, even unbridled insanity, has become the new normalcy. Rather than protest it (useless) fight it (again, useless), I choose - to withdraw.

What I do, I do for me; for my pleasure, for my profit, for my comfort, for my prosperity. I really don't give a dang if the world collapses or not; if there's rioting in the streets, those streets will be far, far away from me. If things get really really bad - I can't grow my plants and trees, my animals die, can't get water anymore, have nowhere to go and nothing to live on - well, heck, I've been homeless and hungry before, and always found a way out. If there is no way out - there's always two bullets kept back.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Zactly.

I 'bought the farm' not out of fear or trepidation, but because, well, I like having my own property, my own plants and fruit trees, my own animals, and even my own hunting areas. I like being (more or less) alone, I like a slower pace, I like working till the sweat drips off my nose. I like stoking the woodstove for the nightly winter fires, and I like living the way I do. I am not hiding in my basement, sleeplessly, guarding my stores, rifle clutched in my white-fingered hands - I work hard, eat well, and sleep soundly in my own bedroom. Afraid? Of what? Nothing.

I hate the way that plastic materialism, self-empowerment on the backs of others, and uneducated idiocy, even unbridled insanity, has become the new normalcy. Rather than protest it (useless) fight it (again, useless), I choose - to withdraw.

What I do, I do for me; for my pleasure, for my profit, for my comfort, for my prosperity. I really don't give a dang if the world collapses or not; if there's rioting in the streets, those streets will be far, far away from me. If things get really really bad - I can't grow my plants and trees, my animals die, can't get water anymore, have nowhere to go and nothing to live on - well, heck, I've been homeless and hungry before, and always found a way out. If there is no way out - there's always two bullets kept back.

granny, sometimes you remind me of Claire Wolfe.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
Quote:
granny, sometimes you remind me of Claire Wolfe.

Thank you. That is the highest compliment I could ever receive. Back in 1998-9, I "met" her thru emails and a mutual friend, and it was she who encouraged me to share my knowledge and experience with others. We used to joke about never meeting in "meat space" even while we collaborated on a project...

The main things that I have carried with me from our (very minimal) association have been:
1) You can teach but that doesn't mean others will learn;
2) 98% of the population has no idea what is going on - and doesn't want to;
3) Think. Think, plan, have plans within plans, have purpose and direction, never let anything happen to you that you can't plan your way out of. Direct your own life.
4) Do what makes you happy - accept new challenges, go after what ever you want with all of your might, and never let anyone tell you "you can't", "You shouldn't" or "You're wrong". You may actually be wrong - but that is your right, as much as any other. Finding out you are wrong means that it is your responsibility to correct it - not for others, but for yourself.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

For a single day or up to three day bank holiday likely nothing would happen (see 9/11 bank holiday). However, get into weeks without access to money for those who have failed to prepare in any form and the US will most likely see the type of reaction Argentina has with their currency collapse, IMO.

Interesting times in the EU with bank holidays in Greece, Spain and Italy. Take careful note as to what lessons may be applied here.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
For a single day or up to three day bank holiday likely nothing would happen (see 9/11 bank holiday). However, get into weeks without access to money for those who have failed to prepare in any form and the US will most likely see the type of reaction Argentina has with their currency collapse, IMO.

Interesting times in the EU with bank holidays in Greece, Spain and Italy. Take careful note as to what lessons may be applied here.
Bless you for having read your history, especially about Argentina. And for your ability to understand that what is happening today in the EU, will happen tomorrow in the US. Recently I read a quote something like, "there are 3 classes of people: those who see, those who see when shown, and those who refuse to see". Unfortunately, those in the last category are the overwhelming majority. If it hasn't happened in their lifetimes, it simply can't happen. You can waste your breath, your ink, and your cyber-space trying to convince them that the "unthinkable" can indeed happen here, but all for naught. They will not, cannot see it.

There may or may not be a bank holiday here. Far more likely, IMHO, is that the banks will remain open, but the "money" they dispense will buy nothing of value...so why bother to withdraw it? This is the scenario that so many refuse to see. How, they wonder, can the US dollar be worthless? Enter Argentina, 2001. I have mentioned this many times, but most refuse to look, let alone see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness