Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:10 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Look at how quickly things started to get desparate in New Orleans after Katrina. We can't make it long without the outside world...at least the vast majority can't. Many people there didn't even have vehicles and other resources with which to make their escape even given advance warning.
A city built below the ocean level.

City dwellers who insist on living in a city below the ocean level, and you want to use them as an example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Here's a big bunker for sale.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:20 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Got a buddy that frequently posts about his prepping. He has done a lot. I remain unsure about his plan of commandeering someones empty cabin however. Perhaps he has a particular one in mind...

I think good guard dogs may be more helpful than most people. Trouble is one should likely have three or so...

I am a prepper but can not, in good conscience, recommend that others become a big prepper. It just made sense for me. Spend $500-$1000 on preparations that one should likely have anyway? Sure...why not. More than that? If it helps you sleep at night...then sure.

I am feeling more optimistic about our future for the most part. We have a president working for us instead of the government. Been...a...long...time.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Surrounded by neighbors. Doubt they'd be too happy to have you all buttoned up and safe while they face the apocalypse with their bug out bags. No, they will stop up your air intake, blow those 3,000 lb blast doors and shoot you and take your stuff.

Now, let's talk about Cheyenne Mtn. That's a shelter. OF course none of us riff raff is getting in there.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:55 AM

I seem to recall those *type* of bunkers being real cheap in the 90's. Like $30,000 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post

Old 02-02-2017, 08:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
well, i'm not sure what good a bunker is going to be anyway. i'm doubting that you are going to need an armored residence. but to each his own.
Think multiple use. An underground bunker makes a great wine and root cellar.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM

Almost everything perishable lasts much longer if kept cool, dark, and dry. Especially food.

The temperature is also very constant. One could pipe cool air during the summer. Warmer air during the winter...if going to a cold room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Think multiple use. An underground bunker makes a great wine and root cellar.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I seem to recall those *type* of bunkers being real cheap in the 90's. Like $30,000 or so.
I think that's when AT&T was dumping all their properties at the end of the cold war.

There's similar properties at Missile bases, communication bunkers and underground properties

The demand went up with all the survivalist shows and companies buying them to furnish then sell shares to people.

Considering it's under $100 per sq/ft, that seems pretty cheap for the construction of the place. Around here building a stick frame house is a lot more than that.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Got a buddy that frequently posts about his prepping. He has done a lot. I remain unsure about his plan of commandeering someones empty cabin however. Perhaps he has a particular one in mind...

I think good guard dogs may be more helpful than most people. Trouble is one should likely have three or so...

I am a prepper but can not, in good conscience, recommend that others become a big prepper. It just made sense for me. Spend $500-$1000 on preparations that one should likely have anyway? Sure...why not. More than that? If it helps you sleep at night...then sure.

I am feeling more optimistic about our future for the most part. We have a president working for himself instead of us Been...a...long...time.
Fixed that for you.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:40 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Wise Ant suggests that harmless productive people withdraw consent, and withdraw themselves from the coming struggle between grasshoppers and locusts. Seek the quiet places and stock up supplies, form alliances, build fortifications, for when chaos erupts the innocent will be swarmed just as much as the guilty.
. . .
Recent news reports showing naughty pupae and larva wreaking havoc is a reminder of what happens when the destroyers are unleashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness