Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Many of the people I have talked to on this issue, simply plan to find folks that have stock piled, and then confiscate their stores. Reality of the Jungle I guess. As for myself, I plan on just kickin back with a cold brew, and watchin it all take place. I do have a can of tuna fish stashed back though. ---
Good way for them to end up dead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
Panic solves nothing, creates nothing but anxiety and more panic, and resolves nothing. Reasonable and constant, purposeful thought and action are what is required in ANY circumstance. We grew accustomed to stockpiling for hurricanes and floods, planting our garden every year, harvesting our produce, raising chickens, growing fruit. Then our area started to grow and all of those things were ordinanced out. We moved to acreage where we could grow our own and build whatever we wanted without ordinances or interference. We established trade with our neighbors; i.e., work performed, or produce, for things we did not have or did not produce. We live in an area where everyone does for themselves without fanfare or complaint, and where overflow is shared and traded in a strictly free-market system.

Yes mountains are beautiful and craggy, but the soil is rocky and grows little, and animals object to standing on rocky slopes waiting for you to come out of your bunker to feed or milk them. They will seek grassy dells or hillsides instead. Some of our property is "stand straight up and bite the ground" type of slope, but most is gently rolling hills conducive to grass and vegetation. Our house is 100 years old and built by hand to last another 100 years; solid, with a good foundation and many cubbies in which to 'hide' things. Only thing is that everyone around us has the same things - guns, bullets, food storage, animals, etc. So no one locally is inclined to go robbing and pillaging.

We are far from any interstate and most of our food is on the hoof or claw, which is not what current day pillagers want - they are looking for quick and microwavable, don't know how to clean or butcher, looking for those of whom it will be easy to take advantage. Since everyone here carries as a matter of course - there are a lot of wild creatures - we have our own militia if things go sour and if folks get this far out. But I think that it is far more likely that they will trash the cities - especially those along the corridors leading city to city - first. By the time they get this far, if they ever do, they will not be expecting what they find and will be too tired/depleted to attack or defend themselves. Or some dictator or other will have taken over to quash them. Shrug. That's even if anything like that happens. Being always prepared for anything is the key to survival - including being prepared for nothing at all.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
SCGranny,sounds like you have a very good set up and area.

Panic doesn't help at all that is true,but being aware and realising things are going downhill is prudent.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,983 times
I have been working towards this. Go on the internet, get books, just talk to people about preparing. Knowledge is power

Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Mountains have their downsides but they are excellent for defensive purposes.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:29 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Mountains have their downsides but they are excellent for defensive purposes.
Also for root cellars.

We live on flat land with a high water table. What I wish for was an area that I could dig a root cellar.

Mountainous or sloping land does allow a person to dig down and to have them.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Also for root cellars.

We live on flat land with a high water table. What I wish for was an area that I could dig a root cellar.

Mountainous or sloping land does allow a person to dig down and to have them.
plus, a lot of mountain ranges have fertile valleys where you can do all of the farming and animal husbandry that you would ever need for an individual community.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,530,171 times
I'm trying to practice gradualism with regard to self-sufficiency and preparedness. Started with an extra week's worth of food and kept increasing storage till I'm up to about four months worth in addition to the current usage stuff. Started with firearms for hunting and worked up to stuff that was better for door kickers and rioters. Started with bare minimums of alternatives for the no power situation and now I'm good for at least 30 days full up electrical supply and can go a lot longer without electricity. Water storage went from nothing to several weeks worth and the ability to purify water for months. Lots of added medical preps. First I wanted to be prepared for hurricanes, then I added pandemics, now I'm thinking about EMP. Will I ever be prepared for TEOTWAWKI? Probably not. Will I ever be able to stand off an infantry squad? Probably not. However, I'm now prepared for a whole lot of things that I wasn't before and I feel better for it. I'm happy that my gardening skills are seriously upgraded, that I'm growing my own fruit, that I've developed some animal husbandry skills, etc. I don't see the downside to my approach and there's a whole lot of upside. I won't be standing in the street begging for the government to give me water, food and ice three hours after the hurrican passes through. The odds are that we will all face some kind of disaster but I suspect the odds grow longer as the scale and duration of the disaster increases so I'm trying to approach the possibility in that way.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:13 AM

2,680 posts, read 1,381,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And that would be what percent of today's population? IMO one starts going down a very dark, dangerous and lonely path when one starts to think like the o.p. For one thing, the second poster is right. At some point supplies do run out. The first settlement in America must have been over 50 people but the colony failed. We are not bears or Moose. Even wolves hunt in packs. We are a social animal and like it or not, if things ever get to the point where any of us have to start thinking in survivalist terms its really time to use what ammo is in the supply to ... ... better yet, stockpile a lethal cocktail that at least will be painless. I don't think thinking that way is any less morbid than imagining trapping, skinning and dressing meat and growing crops and defending the whole shebang from the hordes of desperate others who will simply attempt to survive by taking the fruits of labor of those that have attempted to go it alone. Perhaps if so many of us were not so misguided about their chances of actually surviving for long if the grid ever went down for good we would work harder at ensuring that it never does.

H
Look at how quickly things started to get desparate in New Orleans after Katrina. We can't make it long without the outside world...at least the vast majority can't. Many people there didn't even have vehicles and other resources with which to make their escape even given advance warning.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
Wow a nearly ten year old zombie thread from the heart of recession times. Fun to read how nothing has really changed. The sky is still falling, the economy is still going to collapse any day, even as the dow hits 20k... and so on.

Should you build a bunker? I'd say if you aren't already IN it with at least 200,000 rounds and five years of food you are behind the curve and will probably die in another week or two.

Last edited by jamies; 01-30-2017 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness