Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times

Advertisements

I posted a negative review about one of Yelp’s “top local businesses”. Two things happened, my review was filtered out almost immediately and the steady stream of promotional emails from the business that I reviewed stopped. No more emails is fine with me, but is that a coincidence? I’m guessing that the reviews are sent to the business that was reviewed, but then who decides what gets filtered? Is that Yelp’s “automated filtering process”? There seem to be just enough negative reviews so it looks real, but they are so situational that most people will discount them.

Are there any local review sites that are actually impartial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
It might not have been [the content of] your review. It might have been your email address or the domain or something else. I write that because the spam stopped for you too - they could have simply purged you from their system.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Hmmm.. I'd love to write something somewhere that would stop the spam!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Same thing happened to me. Bad report on a local business and immediately filtered out.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM

81 posts, read 214,713 times
Yes, I have heard from multiple "techie" friends that Yelp is fake. Supposedly Yelp demands a fee from companies who are reviewed on their site. If the companies do not pay, Yelp filters out the good reviews. If the comapanies pay, the negative reviews are filtered out. I typically use Yelp and then just do a Google search of the product/restaurant/company I'm thinking of buying/visiting to get a more balanced view.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I wrote many reviews on Yelp, some of them are not to flattering and all are still there.
Maybe the issue was not what was written, but how it was written?

But, yeah... I heard about the fake reviews there:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/yo...gler.html?_r=0

But I also heard that Yelp try really hard to crack down on those reviews
http://mashable.com/2012/10/18/yelp-fake-reviews/

Last edited by elnina; 03-30-2013 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Yelp has a filter that they don't disclose how it works for obvious reasons. It is designed to filter out fake positive and negative reviews. If you were over the top positive or negative it probably got filtered. I rarely get filtered and write both positive and negative reviews. My strategy to not get filtered is to use proper grammar and not excessively use exclamation points or capital letters. Just write a well written and thought out review that is somewhat coherent and grammatically correct.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Yelp deleted a review that I wrote which had been on there for a very long time. They notified me that my review was deleted because I had not ever been to the restaurant I was reviewing.

Well, yeah......I had been there more than once and quite recently before writing the review.

Yelp is a garbage website, sculpted by it's webmasters to manipulate consumer response.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times
I’d used the website of the company that I’d reviewed very recently to schedule my appointment, so I doubt they simply purged my e-mail address (as an unused account). Also, I didn‘t think it would be worthwhile to complain to the company directly (there is no way that I would ever go back) so the only way they could have known that I was dissatisfied was through the Yelp review.

I don’t really see anything in my review that would justify filtering it. I didn’t use extreme language or all caps or anything like that. Just explained specifically why I was dissatisfied with the service that I received. I see other filtered reviews for the same company that also seem perfectly reasonable.

Also, what is the rationale for making it so difficult to see the filtered reviews with the extra-strength captcha on the desktop version of Yelp? I haven’t figured out how to see the filtered reviews at all on the mobile version of Yelp. Something not right about that.

Who is Yelp’s competition?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I write reviews on it- positive and negative- and they're all still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products