Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 05:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times

Advertisements

I find this is something that we just don't have control over. First of all, I would never do grocery shopping wirhin a tight schedule, since we cannot count on things going the way we would prefer (like those who expect to conduct a Dr.'s appt on a lunch hour). I like to be prepared to set my purse down, slide my card and pay. I don't like if one ahead is not moving after paying, so I can do so, but this is rare. If I see there is some hold up as another joins the line behind me, I will mention to them that "we are not moving", as they usually take off.

I will share the worst experience, which has to do with a female Checker (at Walmart). As I was in line and had loaded my items, placing a "bar" to separate from the customer ahead, I suddenly realized that my items had begun being rung up with the woman's items ahead of me. Well, we caught it, yet this checker told the customer to "go to customer service" to have her mistake adjusted! As it became my turn and preparing to pay, I observed this checker looking downward, apparently mumbling into some hidden mouthpiece, while ringing things up. As I asked her if she "was talking on the phone" and was ignored, the same thing occurred, her adding something from the customer behind me, to my order.

I pretty much flipped as she told me the same thing as the customer before me - to go "stand in line at customer service to take it off my bill." I immediately asked for a manager, telling her the whole story. She took me to another register where she refunded my money, apologizing the entire time for my experience. I honestly have never seen anything like this. We have discussed "distractions while using a cell phone", but this was so absurd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:41 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Family Dollar prefers a bunch of 50 item shoppers, than a few with 5 items. That one customer, is worth 10 like you.

You think you are so important, that everyone should hurry and let you get in and out quick. Consider there are other people that are shopping, not just you, and you are no more important than the other shoppers ahead of you. In fact, if they are buying 50 items, they are more important to the store than you are.
OMG.. I have to share this. My boyfriend at the time and myself were in line and about to pay at a 99c store. It seems most people buy more than just a few items. While we were standing there, a young woman came running up next to the checker, interrupting to hand them money for an item and then leave. My boyfriend quietly muttered "sure...while we have all waited in line". She must have overheard, because as we exited the store, HER macho boyfriend began attacking mine, with him swinging his bags with heavy items in defense, that fell and broke. Luckily, the man who was in line behind us was able to dissuade this guy .. and the store was nice enough to replace broken items. It was pretty scary.. all due to someone being angry that another made a remark, initiated by the rude actions of his girlfriend. (Just as when observing an aggressive driver, you should not even make eye contact, because you never know).

Old 01-13-2015, 05:55 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I admit to falling under category 2.

But, sorry I'm not sorry. I HATE coins. They weigh down my wallet, spill all over the place wherever they go, make me sound like Santa, and are a nightmare to deal with if they accumulate. When we moved, my husband and I had to make 5 different trips by bus to the next city to go to Coinstar (we don't have a car). It's a ****ing ordeal. So now I try to avoid getting more coins at all costs (pun intended).

Here are 2 ideas:

1) abolish the penny.
2) ****ing include sales tax in the listed prices like every other logical country.
No local bank in the area to deposit or exchange the coins for bills?

I keep a certain amount of coins in my wallet. If I go above that , they go in the piggy bank. I love watching them add up. I'm at 119 dollars so far!

I love every form of currency, paper, coin, check. If you have change you don't want, give it to me!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
OMG.. I have to share this. My boyfriend at the time and myself were in line and about to pay at a 99c store. It seems most people buy more than just a few items. While we were standing there, a young woman came running up next to the checker, interrupting to hand them money for an item and then leave. My boyfriend quietly muttered "sure...while we have all waited in line". She must have overheard, because as we exited the store, HER macho boyfriend began attacking mine, with him swinging his bags with heavy items in defense, that fell and broke. Luckily, the man who was in line behind us was able to dissuade this guy .. and the store was nice enough to replace broken items. It was pretty scary.. all due to someone being angry that another made a remark, initiated by the rude actions of his girlfriend. (Just as when observing an aggressive driver, you should not even make eye contact, because you never know).
Gee, wonder if the girlfriend was in for a thrashing later. Maybe she threw the money down and left because he didn't want her to buy anything in the first place.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
I really hate coupon hoarders or even worse, coupon matchers.... Basically some person with coupons from like 40 different stores and asks a place (like Walmart) to price match them (which they actually do).

I mean it saves you money, but god it takes freaking forever.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I really hate coupon hoarders or even worse, coupon matchers.... Basically some person with coupons from like 40 different stores and asks a place (like Walmart) to price match them (which they actually do).

I mean it saves you money, but god it takes freaking forever.
And the savings apparently outweigh the time involved.

If you don't like places that ENCOURAGE people to price match, don't shop there. Problem solved.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
I hold up lines all the time but if I'm there giving my hard-earned money to a store, then I'm going to get what I paid for and as many items as I want to purchase.

I tend to do major shopping 2x a month so I often buy 30-50+ items at a dollar store twice a month (laundry detergents, soaps, paper towels, etc). Then head to a high end grocery store to pick up 100+ more items. I also sometimes use coupons which take up even more time to process. All major shopping done in one day and spread between a few stores; then I don't have to worry about having what I need the rest of the month. That's how I do it.

You don't like it? Go to another register.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I admit to falling under category 2.

But, sorry I'm not sorry. I HATE coins. They weigh down my wallet, spill all over the place wherever they go, make me sound like Santa, and are a nightmare to deal with if they accumulate. When we moved, my husband and I had to make 5 different trips by bus to the next city to go to Coinstar (we don't have a car). It's a ****ing ordeal. So now I try to avoid getting more coins at all costs (pun intended).

Here are 2 ideas:

1) abolish the penny.
2) ****ing include sales tax in the listed prices like every other logical country.
Or live in a place with NO SALES TAX like .Delaware.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
What bugs me is the person at the grocery checkout who decides they need to hold up the line because they forgot something and have to run back to find it. Sometimes these people really leave the register for a good bit of time. If I forget something I just check out and go back afterwards through the express line it it is that important. I do this because I know it's rude to hold up the line.
The worst is when someone actually holds up the entire line because their friend is still in the aisles shopping - not getting an item or two - filling their entire cart! Believe it or not, I actually experienced that. And when I complained to the manager about it, the manager shrugged his shoulders. And then the woman who was holding up the line for her friend threatened to call her husband!

I was like, "Please call your husband. I would love to talk to him. I'll stay here until he comes."

Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,364 times
I like to buy certain things at Dollar Tree (mostly cleaning supplies). EVERYTIME I go, I get someone in front of me who is buying at least 25+ items. Last time I went a couple (They looked like an amish couple which I have never seen here in Texas) and they had two carts full of random stuff. They had a lot of food type items (canned food, crackers, rice etc). I got the impression it was a food bank type thing. Worst part is, this store decided one cashier is enough while other employees were walking around texting pretty much. (Or act like they were cleaning up the store and moving stuff to where it belongs)

I have done the price match thing at Wal- Mart BUT I prepare everything before I leave. Make a list to state the item, store and price. It goes by fast but it’s because I am prepared. One thing I refuse to do is let people with fewer items than me go ahead of me. Ive done this a few times and have never gotten a simple thank you. Last time I did it, this girl didn’t say thank you and called over her friend who had a cart full. -_\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products