Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 AM

161 posts, read 255,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
They are correct, you owe the money. Had you received the products, called them and asked what's going on and gave them the chance to pick it up at their expense, you would be off the hook, BUT, you were a willing participant in a theft and you and only you took the illegally gained items and shipped them out of the country.

But, you seem to be evading the most important questions; who is this "friend"?
He is a friend of mine living in a foreign country. We were classmates. When I received the product, I contacted my friend and my friend told me he ordered these products, and asked me to ship these to that cargo service in CA. It 's a normal to contact my friend first, because in the past he did order a few items and sent it to my home and I sent them to him without any trouble.

Last edited by max100; 02-23-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
for a credit card transaction doesnt the name, number, cvv, address and fone number all have to be accurate to run thru ?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
for a credit card transaction doesnt the name, number, cvv, address and fone number all have to be accurate to run thru ?
It should match all the details so the transaction can be processed, and I swear I only give him my address and nothing else. That 's why I think he used a stolen credit card to buy items under my name and ship to my address and trick me to send them to the cargo service.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I could be wrong but it's my understanding that in cases of credit card fraud the card company eats the loss, not the vendor (seller). I find it odd that the seller is disputing this with you rather than the card company, unless your name is on the card account.
So what does your "friend" have to say about all this?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Your friend is not your friend. You need to name your "friend" to the company contacting you.

It is time to do as another poster suggested and go to the pd in your town and ask to speak with a detective. Give him/her the entire story including your "friend's" name.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Your friend is not your friend. You need to name your "friend" to the company contacting you.

It is time to do as another poster suggested and go to the pd in your town and ask to speak with a detective. Give him/her the entire story including your "friend's" name.
I have told HSN about the details and they refused to speak to my friend, all they want is that I have to pay the money. I am gonna go to the police station later this week , even if I have to pay ,the report is a good thing to have.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:32 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I would not be so quick to say that the OP owes anybody any money. The OP was not a party to the purchase transaction even though the goods were shipped to him/her. One member keeps insisting that the OP is liable, but unless that member is an attorney who specializes in this field I would not rely on that opinion.

The OP should see if s/he can get legal advice from the Legal Services or Legal Aid program that covers where they live. If that doesn't work a call to the local lawyer referral service might help. You're looking for someone who is knowledgeable about debt collection and consumer fraud.

The OP should not have any further contact with the collection agency, should not tell them anything, and should not pay them anything.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Has the OP asked HSN what credit card was used, whose name it was in, and whether that credit card account had his address on it?

What if the perfume had been a gift to the OP from the friend, and OP had regifted it? Would OP be liable to pay for the gift?

If OP wants advice here, some more details are needed: Does OP want the friend prosecuted? Has OP made any effort to find out whose credit card was used?

If OP doesn't want the friend prosecuted, that could be construed as a kind of participation in the scam by OP.

If OP has not made any effort to find out whose credit card was used, that could be construed as lack of sincerity, with ulterior motives for seeking advice here. Such as to use the advice to help participate in a different scam.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:46 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Call the Federal Trade Commission. They helped me once when someone was trying to collect on a credit card that I already paid in full.
Contact the Federal Trade Commission | Federal Trade Commission

Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Has the OP asked HSN what credit card was used, whose name it was in, and whether that credit card account had his address on it?

What if the perfume had been a gift to the OP from the friend, and OP had regifted it? Would OP be liable to pay for the gift?

If OP wants advice here, some more details are needed: Does OP want the friend prosecuted? Has OP made any effort to find out whose credit card was used?

If OP doesn't want the friend prosecuted, that could be construed as a kind of participation in the scam by OP.

If OP has not made any effort to find out whose credit card was used, that could be construed as lack of sincerity, with ulterior motives for seeking advice here. Such as to use the advice to help participate in a different scam.

Yes I did ask HSN about the credit card was used and apparently it was not mine. and of course HSN thinks that I used a stolen credit card.

If my friend really tricked me, yes I want him to be prosecuted. About the credit card, I asked them and they said it was not mine, so I can't ask more , because they can not give me the details of a credit card that was not mine.

What I am afraid here is that my friend opened shopping account on HSN under my name, then ordered items and shipped to my home. so HSN does not believe my story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products