Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times

Advertisements

This silly "rebate" will do absolutely nothing to stimulate our faltering economy. All this empty gesture does is further exacerbate the already ginormous national debt. The reason our economy is in the toilet is due to our huge trade deficit and the personal spending habits of far too many Americans. I read something yesterday that sort of said it all: we Americans used to be known as "customers" when we bought durable American-made goods that lasted, from local merchants. Now we are known as "consumers" who buy disposable foreign-made goods from distant merchants. Now-a-days there is no such things as delayed gratification; we want it when we want it. This is why the personal debt load is so enormous because we whip out our credit cards rather than save up to buy something. Obviously it is better for our economy to buy American made products but in virtually all instances, it costs considerably more to do this. We have made it so expensive for companies to manufacture goods in this country with high wages and endlessly restrictive legal regulations imposed on every facet of the operation that companies have little recourse but to send their manufacturing out of the country. In many cases there is no option if you want to buy something made in this country - it simply doesn't exist. But the only aspect of this terrible economic situation that we have any control over is our own personal debt. Unless and until we reign in our profligate spending and stop buying things we can't afford, our economy will only get worse. So the best thing you can do with that "rebate" is either pay some bills, apply it to your credit card debt or save it. (If the government really wanted to help they could put a cap on the interest rates credit card companies are allowed to impose.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
How could it have helped the U.S. economy if the trend was reversed, that very few Americans were willing to buy items they can't afford without credit?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
well,said rebate is hung up in the senate, knew that would happen! Partisan politics at its best.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
So are you spending or saving in 2008?
I'm paying off existing debt & traveling.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
if we do get it, I am going to use it to remodel a room in my house, if I can find any US made building products.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,991 times
Default Saving the economy

It seems to me that if one buys things, they should buy something they need or may need in the future. However, I think there is one more very important thing. What about ensuring a person buys something that is made in USA? Wouldn't that help save the economy? This concept seems way to simple. What did I miss? Please don't say, "That would work great, but nothing is Made in USA" becuase that is not true at all. So what did I miss, for real?

Home

Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM

324 posts, read 883,957 times
I'm not sure what I would spend the rebate on. I guess I would have to see what I need the most at that time. I do think it is a great idea to support the American economy by buying products made in America, like Oreck vacuums. To me it just seems like such an easy choice...if buying one thing over another of comparable value would have a better impact of the economy then why not do it?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
It will all be spent on products made in China, Japan, or Korea.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
I don't believe the government will really give me anything, but if they do, I'll probably use it to pay my taxes.

But maybe I'll spend it at WalMart.

Or at a Chinese restaurant.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
I don't think I even qualify for one.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products