Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How do you draw that conclusion? You can put in your max bid either manually or via snipe. If by using a snipe it prevents an emotional bidding war and you get the item for your max bid or less whereas doing it manually results in you getting outbid, how is that not an advantage to you?
I figure that because:
1. I don't get emotionally involved in bidding. It is just stuff.
2. When I bid I put in the most I am willing to pay. I am unwilling to pay 1 penny more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
11th hour bid. I place my bid about 30 seconds before the auction ends. That makes it more likely for me to win. But I don't go above what I am willing to pay. That way, when I make that one last minute bid, if someone's max bid is above mine and I lose out on the item, I have no regrets.
^^ I second this. I buy a lot on Ebay and have done so for years. I usually decide what I want to pay for an item and put that bid in about 10-20 seconds before it ends. It also helps to put odd numbers in. For instance if you decide you think the item is worth $40 then put in 41.50 or so. I have won many times but also lost. I don't care if I had the price in my mind upfront.

Also don't get upset if the final bid is only $1 above your bid. The competition might have had a much higher bid in but the auction time simply ended. So the bid goes just above what you have put in. If you would have time to put a higher bid in then you would have been outbid again. That's why you should have a number in mind upfront and bid last minute. That way you won't go crazy bidding against others and regret your final price.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I figure that because:
2. When I bid I put in the most I am willing to pay. I am unwilling to pay 1 penny more.
You're still not getting it. Sniping not only keeps YOU from getting emotional but also keeps the OTHER GUY from getting emotional. You have no control over the other guy except to keep him from knowing that you are also interested in the item. That's what sniping does. Keeps the others from realizing that you want the item also.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're still not getting it. Sniping not only keeps YOU from getting emotional but also keeps the OTHER GUY from getting emotional. You have no control over the other guy except to keep him from knowing that you are also interested in the item. That's what sniping does. Keeps the others from realizing that you want the item also.
No. I get that. I realize his zealousness may drive the bid up on me. Just as he could outbid me without sniping.

My maximum bid is what the item is worth to me.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:18 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I personally have no experience with sniping but I don't like it..... I bid max on what I would pay for something (those sniping sites shouldn't even exist and I have no idea how to even go about finding one if I was so inclined).

Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 PM

3,508 posts, read 766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRock View Post
^^ I second this. I buy a lot on Ebay and have done so for years. .
i used to buy more than i do lately .. you ever had the IRS after you for sales tax on ebay purchases ? i have ..

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
This is great... thank you for all the information and discourse.

So as I understand it: if I enter a bid in the final seconds, and make it an odd number, I stand a better chance of wining the bid.

A sniping service could still outbid me if the other buyers use it... and it's similar to a last minute secret bid.

Awesome... I'm ready ;-)

Thank you!!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I figure that because:
If you are truly unwilling to pay 1 penny more, you are more emotionally involved than anyone else. This isn't Nike contracting for 10 million shoelaces. What could possibly be well worth $21.50 but never $21.51? You are just fooling yourself. If an auction is not worth one cent more, it's not worth buying at all.

Second, if you WANT it for $21.50, you give the world a chance to beat that figure for DAYS if you place your max bid at the start of an auction. If you snipe they have 5 seconds.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:51 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
This is great... thank you for all the information and discourse.

So as I understand it: if I enter a bid in the final seconds, and make it an odd number, I stand a better chance of wining the bid.

A sniping service could still outbid me if the other buyers use it... and it's similar to a last minute secret bid.

Awesome... I'm ready ;-)

Thank you!!
Also, a last few seconds bid is not necessarily a sniping service, it could be the current high bidder put a huge bid on an item to start with, or people do manually enter last second bids as well.

I have placed a $20 bid on a $5 item, because it was an impossible to find $5 item that completed a set.

An eBay auction doesn't really start until 10 seconds before the end, the price before then is just the least it MIGHT go for. I have seen items bid at a few dollars 5 minutes before the end sell for thousands, when the SERIOUS bidders placed their bids.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
If you are truly unwilling to pay 1 penny more, you are more emotionally involved than anyone else. This isn't Nike contracting for 10 million shoelaces. What could possibly be well worth $21.50 but never $21.51? You are just fooling yourself. If an auction is not worth one cent more, it's not worth buying at all.

Second, if you WANT it for $21.50, you give the world a chance to beat that figure for DAYS if you place your max bid at the start of an auction. If you snipe they have 5 seconds.
As to your first-that's how you feel. Not me. As to your second: Why should I care if they beat the highest price I was willing to bid? That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products