Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
What--exactly--is Costco trying to hide as a result of their policy of not accepting cash at their gas stations?
They're not trying to hide anything. By not taking cash at the gas stations, it eliminates the need for an employee to take the money. With everything done by plastic at the pump, it makes it a lot easier for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
What--exactly--is Costco trying to hide as a result of their policy of not accepting cash at their gas stations?
They're not trying to hide anything. By not taking cash at the gas stations, it eliminates the need for an employee to take the money. With everything done by plastic at the pump, it makes it a lot easier for everyone.
They're also preventing nonmembers from filling up.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,669,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Except in NJ where you don't have to be a member of a club in order to fill up gas in their location. Thus the lines in NJ's Costco are long, with many non-members hogging the lanes. They use generic Amex ( and now Visa) to fill gas.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Except in NJ where you don't have to be a member of a club in order to fill up gas in their location. Thus the lines in NJ's Costco are long, with many non-members hogging the lanes. They use generic Amex ( and now Visa) to fill gas.
This is completely accurate. NJ statutes prohibit any kind of "membership" in order to buy gas, so anyone can purchase gas at a Costco gas station in NJ--as long as he/she possesses a valid Visa credit card.

As to the long lines, I make my weekly visit to Costco during the middle of the week, in the late morning/early afternoon, when the waiting lines at my Costco gas station of choice are either non-existent or no longer than what I would find at the adjoining Exxon or Speedway stations.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
The store doesn't put up signs saying something like they don't accept bills equal or greater to $50?
No, because we don't have any problem with someone using a $100 for, say, something $60 or so. It's the people who come in and get a $2.47 item and, with no warning of "can you break a hundred," spring a hundred dollar bill on you and then get aghast that you might need a minute to deal with it, much less that you perhaps can't take it at all. We've had it to where people do that right after we have first opened (and thus haven't had a chance to "accumulate" bills from previous people) and sometimes even do 2 in a row that early in the morning.

One person said we should put up a sign. I don't disagree with that, depending on the wording, because again if someone is getting $60-70 or such then a $100 isn't a big deal the way it is when it's a $3 item. At the same time, I've heard enough people tell tales of how they had a $100 on them but went out of their way to go to a bank to break it down specifically because they know how much of a pain in the rear $100 bills are with small transactions. In like vein, I've heard of people who, upon being given a large amount of bills from a bank, the bank employee themselves will often-times ask how they want it back and say something to the tune of "many stores don't accept $100 bills so you might want at least a few twenties for those situations." Me--if I'm a customer at a bank and the amount I'm being given is, say, $314, I will tell them that two $100 bills are fine but that the remaining $114 should be in 20s and such.

That's my point, people ought to KNOW, it's common knowledge to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,651,066 times
Group Health, a health care provided I had in Washington State, would absolutely not take cash for co-payments when you went to the doctor.

I found it quite annoying.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Yesterday, at the end of a 7 hour shift on the register, $500 of the $1600 in the drawer was in the form of $100 bills. One woman apologized for paying with one for a purchase of about $10. She told me her BofA atm is now dispensing them instead of $20 bills.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:10 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
No, because we don't have any problem with someone using a $100 for, say, something $60 or so. It's the people who come in and get a $2.47 item and, with no warning of "can you break a hundred," spring a hundred dollar bill on you and then get aghast that you might need a minute to deal with it, much less that you perhaps can't take it at all. We've had it to where people do that right after we have first opened (and thus haven't had a chance to "accumulate" bills from previous people) and sometimes even do 2 in a row that early in the morning.

That's my point, people ought to KNOW, it's common knowledge to me.

You need to put up a sign.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's because you have to be a member to fill up. It works like this: if you're a Costco member, you can buy gas there, if you're not, you can't. So if you want to buy gas at Costco, buy a membership.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
That's because you have to be a member to fill up. It works like this: if you're a Costco member, you can buy gas there, if you're not, you can't. So if you want to buy gas at Costco, buy a membership.
I am a member. I'm just pointing out that refusing cash makes keeping nonmembers away a bit easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products