Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 02:43 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The best gift one can give a friend is knowing that friend well enough to not have to scratch one's head trying to find the right gift.

Bingo!

OP, it sounds as though you think all your friends and relatives (the ones you would give gifts to anyway) must be clones of you.

Maybe they are but the last time I got a gift like a lint remover was from my nerdy brother when I was in the 5th grade (and I didn't need/want it then either but it was a step up from the previous year's thoughtful gift .. an HB pencil with the eraser missing .. so heck, I pretended I was pleased).

Know thine recipient .. pick something that THEY would like, not something YOU like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 06:42 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Heated driveway is a shortcut to roadsalt and shoveling snow.
Don't forget sidewalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Insulated garage is a shortcut to deicers and scrubbing ice.
Ah yes, insulation materials. Fiberglass, polyurethane foam, vermiculite.

Deicers for people who park their cars outside.

Is it true that if you wear coats a lot or wash them a lot, they lose their insulation over time?

Old 12-25-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Bingo!

OP, it sounds as though you think all your friends and relatives (the ones you would give gifts to anyway) must be clones of you.

Maybe they are but the last time I got a gift like a lint remover was from my nerdy brother when I was in the 5th grade (and I didn't need/want it then either but it was a step up from the previous year's thoughtful gift .. an HB pencil with the eraser missing .. so heck, I pretended I was pleased).

Know thine recipient .. pick something that THEY would like, not something YOU like.
Okay.. I'll try your game.

What's something that "they" would like and not somethin that *I* would like?

Notice my list did not include unnecessities, like video games, or what's worse, ____ video games, where ____ is what *I* like.

Your post is just like 90% of the other 1st posts that all they did was comment on my list without providing theirs.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:19 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
How can I tell you what I would give your family and friends when I don't know them? Am I missing something here? You didn't even bother to tell us who you are giving gifts to.

I give my family and friends things that are different from the ordinary or which cannot be obtained locally, things that suit their personality and/or lifestyle. What did I give this Christmas? - about 10 pounds of fresh pecans, an Instant Pot, a really nice fly fishing vest, whole piles of Lego along with nifty yoyos and a Zoku for 3 favorite neighbour boys, LL Bean shirts (both for men and those same little boys), about 10 pairs of really warm cozy socks, one of those infinite ways to wrap and wear it wraps, a beautifully soft wool shawl for an elderly neighbour, some really funky and fun dish towels, some stuff from Williams-Sonoma (here is where the cleaning stuff may be of use to you .. check them out .. the 'kit' included counter cleaner, hand cleaner, and something else with wonderful scents - very classy), several really neat table 'vises' - bright yellow triangular flat, very heavy metal with a variety of different holes in them (can't remember what they are called but check out Lowes), a Kobalt 20v drill, some games, some earrings, a gift certificate so a little girl could get a flashy pair of Sketchers, a gift certificate so a family could eat out a couple of times, and there are many things I am missing out on this list because I haven't delivered them yet. What did I receive myself? A fleece throw, a mug and some Chai tea.

It truly is the 'thought that counts' so whatever you give make sure YOU think about the recipient and not yourself - as I keep saying.

If all your friends and relatives are clones of you (I said that because you seem delighted with those gift choices yourself), then I say get those for them. I am sure they will love them and think you very thoughtful. But, if they are not clones of you, think of what they like, need, want, dream about, or something very unexpected but which still suits their lifestyle and personality.

Just because everyone needs to clean doesn't mean that is a very 'fun' Christmas gift. The ONLY way I might see that could be is if you can search out some unique products (in retro type tins or for the women in your life - try W/S as I mentioned above) and figure out a way to wrap them so even the unwrapping is an adventure. Can be done but I wonder if you have the imagination to do that?

Last edited by Aery11; 12-25-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
How can I tell you what I would give your family and friends when I don't know them? Am I missing something here? You didn't even bother to tell us who you are giving gifts to.

I give my family and friends things that are different from the ordinary or which cannot be obtained locally, things that suit their personality and/or lifestyle. What did I give this Christmas? - about 10 pounds of fresh pecans, an Instant Pot, a really nice fly fishing vest, whole piles of Lego along with nifty yoyos and a Zoku for 3 favorite neighbour boys, LL Bean shirts (both for men and those same little boys), about 10 pairs of really warm cozy socks, one of those infinite ways to wrap and wear it wraps, a beautifully soft wool shawl for an elderly neighbour, some really funky and fun dish towels, some stuff from Williams-Sonoma (here is where the cleaning stuff may be of use to you .. check them out .. the 'kit' included counter cleaner, hand cleaner, and something else with wonderful scents - very classy), several really neat table 'vises' - bright yellow triangular flat, very heavy metal with a variety of different holes in them (can't remember what they are called but check out Lowes), a Kobalt 20v drill, some games, some earrings, a gift certificate so a little girl could get a flashy pair of Sketchers, a gift certificate so a family could eat out a couple of times, and there are many things I am missing out on this list because I haven't delivered them yet. What did I receive myself? A fleece throw, a mug and some Chai tea.

It truly is the 'thought that counts' so whatever you give make sure YOU think about the recipient and not yourself - as I keep saying.

If all your friends and relatives are clones of you (I said that because you seem delighted with those gift choices yourself), then I say get those for them. I am sure they will love them and think you very thoughtful. But, if they are not clones of you, think of what they like, need, want, dream about, or something very unexpected but which still suits their lifestyle and personality.

Just because everyone needs to clean doesn't mean that is a very 'fun' Christmas gift. The ONLY way I might see that could be is if you can search out some unique products (in retro type tins or for the women in your life - try W/S as I mentioned above) and figure out a way to wrap them so even the unwrapping is an adventure. Can be done but I wonder if you have the imagination to do that?
So most of the stuff I listed were stuff people could actually use and need.

In colder climates there are snow. Some people shovel snow. Some people use snowsalt. Giving snowsalt to people who shovel snow so they can shovel less.

Giving Drano to someone who only uses the plunger will make them plunge less. They can pour Drano down toilets, sinks, and bathtubs, and less use for plungers.

Germs and bacteria are everywhere. Hence the 10% bleach and 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Okay, not everyone tries to kill bacteria/viruses, but if you give them the tools to, it could help motivate them more.

I could have added motion-sensors lights rather than night lights could be more useful (and turns off after a period).

Some people do computer stuff the hard way, whereas computer programmers and gurus know of shortcuts.

Example: some people turn on the computer, have to click a browser like Internet Explorer, and then type in a website, like e-mail.

But you can set it so when your computer is done turning on, it automatically opens the browser, and the 1st website is automatically the 1 they want.

Some people have the calendar and weather on their desktop wallpaper.

Edit: but here's a question I don't know the answer to. I often see women wearing analog watches. I prefer digital watches. Digital watches can do timers, show the day of week or and month and date. Can have alarm. And a mini light. But why do women or whoever that wear analog watches, wear analog watches?

Old 12-25-2016, 08:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post

In colder climates there are snow. Some people shovel snow. Some people use snowsalt. Giving snowsalt to people who shovel snow so they can shovel less.

Giving Drano to someone who only uses the plunger will make them plunge less. They can pour Drano down toilets, sinks, and bathtubs, and less use for plungers.

Germs and bacteria are everywhere. Hence the 10% bleach and 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Okay, not everyone tries to kill bacteria/viruses, but if you give them the tools to, it could help motivate them more.

I could have added motion-sensors lights rather than night lights could be more useful (and turns off after a period).

Some people do computer stuff the hard way, whereas computer programmers and gurus know of shortcuts.

Example: some people turn on the computer, have to click a browser like Internet Explorer, and then type in a website, like e-mail.

But you can set it so when your computer is done turning on, it automatically opens the browser, and the 1st website is automatically the 1 they want.

Edit: but here's a question I don't know the answer to. I often see women wearing analog watches. I prefer digital watches. Digital watches can do timers, show the day of week or and month and date. Can have alarm. And a mini light. But why do women or whoever that wear analog watches, wear analog watches?
Because they're more much classier looking than a digital watch. I've never seen a digital watch I'd want to wear in a professional/dressy setting.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
Me I personally think good presents to give are.

1. Those roll-up lint removers.

2. Lava lamps, or colored night lights. Especially the ones that can change color.

I been to the American Science Surplus in Chicago. The only thing I liked there was solar flashlights. So solar lights are another.

3. Cleaning supplies, so 10% bleach + pinesol, 3% hydrogen peroxide. Maybe even something useful like Drano if they never had, used for pouring down sinks and such. For a non-electric dehumidifier, calcium chloride.

4. Electric scents (that you can plug into cord outlets).

5. Something you can throw into the bathtub to make it smell nice and such, where it dissolves into the water.

6. A computer program that pops up "Merry Christmas, _____" that you can install on their computer and put in their Startup folder for when they turn on the computer.
1. I guess it depends on your budget, but those are like $1.50 at Walgreens.
2. Maybe for my 6th grader.
3. Cleaning supplies as a gift? I don't think so.
4. Those are a health hazard, not to mention overpowering. I don't know anyone who uses them anymore.
5. Sure.
6. Why would you need a program installed for that? I can do that thru the control panel on my PC. I wouldn't be too happy if someone donwloaded a program on my computer...

Generally speaking I tend to buy things that people want/would get use of, but not necessarily spend money on for themselves (i.e. a gift card to get a pedicure or massage). Not mundane stuff like cleaning supplies people need to buy anyway.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:42 PM

179 posts, read 149,758 times
Quote:

"Snowsalt" not only good for snow, but helps for ice. Most is bad for grass, pets, and certain concrete (causes flaking.)
"Drano" is not to be used for a lot of people, per rental agreements. How many pole actually plunge on a regular basis?

You mentioned things people can use and need. Plug in air fresheners...you are telling them their odors offend. Computer shortcuts? Not a need for most. Lava lamp? Again, not a need.

As others have said, you need to know your recipient. If those are the gifts you can afford, the best gift you could give is your time; time to visit, write or whatever. If I were your friend, I wouldn't want the things on your list, I think you need your money more than I want or need any of it.

I listen to my friends and family throughout the year, make mental notes, and give them something fun and/or practical that they've said they would like.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:41 PM

Meh I dunno if it matters but I originally started this thread in the science forum and therefore listed a lot of science examples, but. Hence why examples like solar flashlights.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Because they're more much classier looking than a digital watch. I've never seen a digital watch I'd want to wear in a professional/dressy setting.
Hey, if you're just responding to someone's last paragraph, here's something to make you look more class. Delete the rest of the post, and keep only the part you're responding to.

Yea I figured the analog watches vs. digital watches had to do with class. Especially since analog types tend to be gold or shiny and analog watches not.

Here's a question for you... since you seem to be about class. Do you think people wearing digital watches can be discriminated in a job interview? Even with wearing the suit and tie and such.

Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products