Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM

127 posts, read 147,066 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be a good addition to this forum to start an ongoing thread discussing excellent deals, interesting, or obscure products we may come across while shopping at TJX stores. TJX's strategy is to increase inventory turnover by having regular shipments (everyday except Sunday) with a variety of different distinct and unique products. Different stores carry different products depending on region, local demographics and other factors. The stores have departments where you can consistently find housewares, cookware, clothing, accessories, toys, and a growing assortment of gourmet shelf-stable foods. Although the store consistently stock an assortment of items along these product lines, you can't search for a specific size, color, or brand. This a key tenet of their strategy to provide a sense of adventure, get people to shop often (or even visit multiple stores) for fear of missing out on a given item they may see and like.

TJ Maxx: Breville IKON Multi-speed juicer for $79. Price on Amazon $170.51 (MSRP of $199, for sale at Bed Bath & Beyond $179.99)

Anyway just thought this may be a fun topic and at the very least educate some people on this forum about TJX. Feel free to add any contributions or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 02:34 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
This might be getting people's hopes up, though. As TJX stores often say, merchandise varies by store. That great dish you bought at HomeGoods might not be in any other HomeGoods location nearby because they only shipped out the ten or twelve nationwide that was left from a wholesale purchase. Outlet-type stores such as TJMAXX don't have regular replenishment of the same items over and over like most retailers, so that item that is there on Monday may be gone Tuesday and will never be there again.

So while this might be a great thread just to celebrate a nice find, it would probably not be a good place to advise others to go buy the same item, because it might not be there. In that vein, I got a Croscill King comforter set and matching curtains there for $79.99 and $14.99 respectively, knowing they had originally been at Bed Bath and Beyond for $209.99 and $69.99. They were actually still listed in their Beyond Store (online) at those higher prices when I picked them up at HomeGoods.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
This might be getting people's hopes up, though. As TJX stores often say, merchandise varies by store. That great dish you bought at HomeGoods might not be in any other HomeGoods location nearby because they only shipped out the ten or twelve nationwide that was left from a wholesale purchase. Outlet-type stores such as TJMAXX don't have regular replenishment of the same items over and over like most retailers, so that item that is there on Monday may be gone Tuesday and will never be there again.
That, and the fact that not everyone lives near those three specific stores... or even one of them.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Ross (slogan-"Dress for Less") is another store that I browse when I have time to kill. I actually don't go there intentionally like I do for a specific item I know I can get at a "regular" store. I say I am "treasure hunting." I say this because if I find a treasure I better buy it because it won't be there tomorrow, heck, maybe hours later it will be gone. So if I "can't live without it" I buy it then and there.

Case in point: found the perfect corner stand with shelves for my bedroom. It was "blonde" with black brush "streaks" over the blonde, which went well with my light oak and black wrought iron bedroom furniture. Later found a long, low table in similar coloring, didn't buy it cuz I wasn't 100% sure, and now it is nowhere to be found. Oh well, if I had had to have it, I would have bought it. But I am still a little disappointed I cannot find it now.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
It's easier just to browse through these websites for deals:
https://www.fatwallet.com/
https://slickdeals.net/

Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I think we all know the online sites to look for deals. Some like to actually find a bargain/treasure at a physical store (which I think is the point of the OP)

Old 01-14-2017, 05:49 PM

127 posts, read 147,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

So while this might be a great thread just to celebrate a nice find, it would probably not be a good place to advise others to go buy the same item, because it might not be there. In that vein, I got a Croscill King comforter set and matching curtains there for $79.99 and $14.99 respectively, knowing they had originally been at Bed Bath and Beyond for $209.99 and $69.99. They were actually still listed in their Beyond Store (online) at those higher prices when I picked them up at HomeGoods.
Thanks and understood. I just think this topic may be fun for shopper/retail junkie types that browse this forum, that's all. Like anything in life YMMV, and some people may not have an interest shopping at TJX. Just thought it may be a fun topic to share good finds.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:45 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Oh, I love hitting all three stores, even when I know I don't need anything. As others have said, you never know when you might stumble across something you never knew you needed.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM

296 posts, read 232,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Ross (slogan-"Dress for Less") is another store that I browse when I have time to kill. I actually don't go there intentionally like I do for a specific item I know I can get at a "regular" store. I say I am "treasure hunting." I say this because if I find a treasure I better buy it because it won't be there tomorrow, heck, maybe hours later it will be gone. So if I "can't live without it" I buy it then and there.

Case in point: found the perfect corner stand with shelves for my bedroom. It was "blonde" with black brush "streaks" over the blonde, which went well with my light oak and black wrought iron bedroom furniture. Later found a long, low table in similar coloring, didn't buy it cuz I wasn't 100% sure, and now it is nowhere to be found. Oh well, if I had had to have it, I would have bought it. But I am still a little disappointed I cannot find it now.

I work for Ross, so my advice to all my customers is, if you see it and want it, buy it. Don't think about it, just get it because you can always return it. You've got 30 days.

It's a great store, every truck brings surprises and 'treasures', it doesn't get boring, because we don't get the same items in over and over again.

In addition, if you are 55 or older, you can receive 10% discount if you shop on Tuesdays. Just let the cashier know before your transaction is complete.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:08 PM

143 posts, read 111,566 times
That's exactly what I just did today-I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it.
Went into a Home Goods yesterday actually, looking for marked down candles. Saw the most gorgeous, lush, buttery soft gray leather chair and fell in love with it. I hemmed and hawwed, measured, made a phone call, sat in it, looked the whole thing over from top to bottom. Nary a scratch or mark on the leather. Just a few digs in the wooden feet-easily colored in with a brown sharpie.
Went home and measured space & SUV back to make sure it would fit. Called the store this morning and asked them to hold it-they did. I was so afraid that someone would come along and snag it! The price was $699, which seemed pricey to me but when I looked it up online, similar styles of the brand were going for $1200-1300, even at online discount sites.
I totally love Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and all similar. Never know what you'll find. I think their merchandise has gotten much better in the last few years. I think I'ma gonna sleep in this chair tonight....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products