Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. To be clear, it was NOT ME who did the ordering. It is Dh's account, he ordered for me.

He may have inadvertently clicked something that would invite Amazon to put a Prime charge on his account. I asked him but this was early December so he doesn't remember.

A co-worker of his uses Amazon frequently. According to him, just one wrong keystroke can get you something you don't want -- like a Prime account.

2. We never had Prime. DH MIGHT buy from Amazon once or twice in a year -- A Prime account would be flat out stupid.

3. The charge has been taken off his credit card, which --- he watches like a hawk so hopefully they don't put the charge back in, elst I will resurrect this thread and "go off on Amazon" again

4. The one good thing about Amazon is all the jobs they have brought to Tennessee.
Just one wrong keystroke can cause problems on lots of sites. This is not unique to Amazon.

Contact them and try to resolve the issue before flipping out completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
1. To be clear, it was NOT ME who did the ordering. It is Dh's account, he ordered for me.

He may have inadvertently clicked something that would invite Amazon to put a Prime charge on his account. I asked him but this was early December so he doesn't remember.

A co-worker of his uses Amazon frequently. According to him, just one wrong keystroke can get you something you don't want -- like a Prime account.

2. We never had Prime. DH MIGHT buy from Amazon once or twice in a year -- A Prime account would be flat out stupid.

3. The charge has been taken off his credit card, which --- he watches like a hawk so hopefully they don't put the charge back in, elst I will resurrect this thread and "go off on Amazon" again

4. The one good thing about Amazon is all the jobs they have brought to Tennessee.
Glad your hub was able to get the charge reversed. I guess he now knows to pay attention if ordering there again. It's way too easy to select ship with prime free trial.

I personally don't buy from them often, but did the other day because they had knitted sleeve material I needed to replace my grandsons jacket that he chewed. Apparently I wasn't paying attention either because out of all the ones I saw, I ordered one from Canada lol

Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:

From your comments I guess you don't shop online very much or deal with variety of vendors
Personally I have had Amazon Prime for almost 10 yrs
I find that the AMAZON customer service people are prompt, helpful, knowledgeable, and speak decent English even if they are offshore personnel...
Other companies I have ordered from and have issues with are not as knowledgeable, prompt, or helpful...

The very fact that the disputed charge was taken off promptly shows how good/responsive Amazon is...

A Prime account is what it is--
If you don't need it, that is your decision
I have one and am happy with it for the most part--the feature I find is becoming a problem is the use of USPS as secondary/final delivery service when the primary (FedEx usually) drops off the item w/USPS...
That usually results in a slowing of delivery--which should be Prime 2 days...
I am seeing that happen more often in the past 12 months...

Your complaint should really be a positive about how responsive Amazon was to a mistake that someone made-
Maybe your DH for placing a Prime order inadvertantly
Maybe a scam through a credit card used
Maybe (although I doubt it) through Amazon itself vs maybe a 3rd party vendor--
There are plenty using Amazon's platform now and many of the complaints people post on products have to do w/3rd party vendors vs Amazon itself--and they don't seem to differentiate...

Old 01-24-2019, 06:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
All this hullabaloo over something that Amazon would most likely rectify with one phone call or chat. Your DH(?) signed up for Prime accidentally so you should be saying that you will never let your DH order for you again, not that you will never order from Amazon again. You are blaming the wrong party.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 AM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
It isn't likely we shop with the same needs in mind

I have many other outlets for the products I need. I haven't used Amazon more than a handful of times in its lifetime
That's a good thing. Amazon's shopping interface is pretty goof-proof in my experience. If you had issues with it, it's best you stay far away from it.

I can't imagine not using Amazon, personally. It's been a great resource for me, but clearly lots of folks prefer to use other options, and that's fine.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:32 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never found Amazon to have tricky one-click/gotcha features. I've found it very simple and straighforward for twenty years. (And that's increasingly rare among merchants who do try to upsell and load every order, even through moderate deception.)

I suggest that since you don't have an account and he rarely uses his, there might be issues with user familiarity in between his complete innocence and Amazon's depraved scammage.
I have never had any one-click and you're signed up for something issues with Amazon either.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
From your comments I guess you don't shop online very much or deal with variety of vendors
Personally I have had Amazon Prime for almost 10 yrs
I find that the AMAZON customer service people are prompt, helpful, knowledgeable, and speak decent English even if they are offshore personnel...
Other companies I have ordered from and have issues with are not as knowledgeable, prompt, or helpful...

The very fact that the disputed charge was taken off promptly shows how good/responsive Amazon is...

A Prime account is what it is--
If you don't need it, that is your decision
I have one and am happy with it for the most part--the feature I find is becoming a problem is the use of USPS as secondary/final delivery service when the primary (FedEx usually) drops off the item w/USPS...
That usually results in a slowing of delivery--which should be Prime 2 days...
I am seeing that happen more often in the past 12 months...

Your complaint should really be a positive about how responsive Amazon was to a mistake that someone made-
Maybe your DH for placing a Prime order inadvertantly
Maybe a scam through a credit card used
Maybe (although I doubt it) through Amazon itself vs maybe a 3rd party vendor--
There are plenty using Amazon's platform now and many of the complaints people post on products have to do w/3rd party vendors vs Amazon itself--and they don't seem to differentiate...
I hate this too. I lived in a second floor apartment above some stores, and while UPS would bring the box up, USPS would leave it down in the parking lot next to an employee entrance. Anyone could have walked off with it. But I cancelled many of the heavier items I used to subscribe and save to because I couldn't carry the box up.

But I have just had my first "Amazon Logistics" delivery, and the encounter was infuriating. I was home alone all day and I get a text package was delivered. I look all around outside and see nothing, look at the delivery details and it says "Package handed directly to resident". Well, NO, this did not happen. Package was nowhere.

Then I call Amazon, the first girl wants to simply refund my money and resend one item (one was 3rd party and they said I had to reorder on my own) which I said was unacceptable. I told them I live in a rural area and more than likely the person who delivered the lost package will be delivering my stuff again, so we need to get it straightened out. Then it becomes clear they have no contact with the drivers, they have no way to tell this person they messed up. I ask for a manager. She (this is kind of scary) looks at my home on a computer map, and notes features that help identify it, and puts a permanent note on my deliveries noting these features.

I ask why the person checked "handed directly to resident" and she says it's usually just the easiest thing to check! It apparently means nothing. My come away is that as Amazon Logistics starts taking over more, tracking as we know it is gone forever.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times
I'm getting ready to terminate my amazon account for too many errors and problems that amazon creates with my account.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,777,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She (this is kind of scary) looks at my home on a computer map, and notes features that help identify it, and puts a permanent note on my deliveries noting these features.
If it scares you that Amazon can look at Google Street View and know you have a blue door and two maple trees, you have a lifetime of terror ahead of you.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
I've been very happy with Amazon (as a matter of fact, with all of my online ordering), but I've had no unauthorized charges, either lol.

This experience reinforces the need to thorougly and regularly check credit card charges, and not to be hasty when ordering online. I always get the "Prime push" from Amazon, so I'm on the lookout for it when I order. I make sure NOT to sign up for it, and always preview the order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products