Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 08:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He wasn’t complaining about Amazon in that post. He was speaking to a poster who said she didn’t see any reason for prime. He was explaining that to him prime is worth it because otherwise to get free shipping you have to spend $25.
I see...yes, I must've read that wrong...My apologies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never found Amazon to have tricky one-click/gotcha features. I've found it very simple and straighforward for twenty years. (And that's increasingly rare among merchants who do try to upsell and load every order, even through moderate deception.)

I suggest that since you don't have an account and he rarely uses his, there might be issues with user familiarity in between his complete innocence and Amazon's depraved scammage.
I accidentally bought something just last night, by mistakenly pressing "buy with one click" when I was aiming for "put in cart" so I could think about it. I immediately went to cancel the order, but decided I wanted it so let it ride.

And they always default to paid shipping, you have to change it to free shipping.

But they do take care of customers. I had a package due two weeks ago. Tracking showed USPS moving it from one local PO to another. I went to my post office, but they couldn't find it. I waited a couple more days, saw it had been moved again, so I wrote to Amazon and asked for a refund. They refunded in about three hours.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:04 AM

419 posts, read 388,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

And they always default to paid shipping, you have to change it to free shipping.
I noticed this too. When I had Prime, it always went to free shipping. When I gave up Prime last year, all orders automatically tried to charge for shipping. This is one reason I would never use the 1-Click ordering. Having to go through an extra screen gives me time to double check that the order is exactly as I want it.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:04 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
I noticed this too. When I had Prime, it always went to free shipping. When I gave up Prime last year, all orders automatically tried to charge for shipping. This is one reason I would never use the 1-Click ordering. Having to go through an extra screen gives me time to double check that the order is exactly as I want it.
Just an aside, you can cancel a one-click order in about 10 seconds. Just click on Orders, then it'll be the first one, just click "cancel order". I've accidentally clicked it when I meant to put something in my cart,

Old 01-26-2019, 12:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
When I had Prime, it always went to free shipping. When I gave up Prime last year, all orders automatically tried to charge for shipping.
I'm missing something here. Without Prime, what free shipping is available?

Are you talking about items with free shipping offered by the seller?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm missing something here. Without Prime, what free shipping is available?

Are you talking about items with free shipping offered by the seller?
There is the free super saver shipping. When you buy $25 worth of eligible items you qualify for free shipping, which is delivered in 5-8 business days.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
When you sign up you have the option to choose an annual charge.....which saves a little bit, or a monthly charge. The charge is for Amazon Prime which includes delivery and other services. So....cancel your membership....easy peasy.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There is the free super saver shipping. When you buy $25 worth of eligible items you qualify for free shipping, which is delivered in 5-8 business days.
Ah, right. (I've had Prime so long I'd forgotten.)

It would be nice to be able to set a choice between paid (quick) and free (don't be in a hurry) shipping, though. I take it Amazon assumes most people prefer quick to waiting. Not likely to be much of a profit element for them.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
I was shopping for a sewing machine, found one I liked on another site, so compared it from various vendors. Home Depot (!) had it for $200, another site for $150. Amazon had it for $120, but only for prime customers. Wal-Mart had it for $120 for everybody. Makes me think prime is a bit of a scam.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:33 PM

438 posts, read 377,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was shopping for a sewing machine, found one I liked on another site, so compared it from various vendors. Home Depot (!) had it for $200, another site for $150. Amazon had it for $120, but only for prime customers. Wal-Mart had it for $120 for everybody. Makes me think prime is a bit of a scam.
Prime is more than just a way to get free shipping. Prime users get movies and shows (so essentially an alternative to Netflix or Hulu. We cut both and now save about $40 in tv streaming), access to discounts at Whole Foods. My family uses Prime more for the little things like the streaming then we do for the shipping, although we started getting groceries delivered through Amazon Prime as we were already ordering groceries once a month but now it's shipped/delivered for free and much faster than Safeway or Costco Deliver where I have to do it days ahead of schedule vs delivery within 2 hours with Amazon.

It's absolutely not for everyone (for us it was a cost saver, but we live in Seattle which is Amazon heavy and everyone is pretty well versed making it easy) as Amazon has expanded the Prime benefits to go beyond Shipping. So if all you need is free shipping then Prime is really out of your league as most places do this and you can even usually get free shipping on Amazon if you plan and look hard enough. Just do what works for you; there are plenty of times Wal-Mart, Target, or even the thrift store has higher prices than Amazon. Just because you don't find something useful doesn't mean it's automatically a scam, it just means it doesn't work for you.

Last edited by musicfamly5; 01-26-2019 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products