Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 11:47 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was shopping for a sewing machine, found one I liked on another site, so compared it from various vendors. Home Depot (!) had it for $200, another site for $150. Amazon had it for $120, but only for prime customers. Wal-Mart had it for $120 for everybody. Makes me think prime is a bit of a scam.
I have never seen an item where the price was only available for Prime members. Usually the Prime badge next to the item means it qualifies for free 2-day shipping if you're a Prime member. Anyone can buy it, they'll just possibly have to pay shipping or wait longer for the item to arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. To be clear, it was NOT ME who did the ordering. It is Dh's account, he ordered for me.

He may have inadvertently clicked something that would invite Amazon to put a Prime charge on his account. I asked him but this was early December so he doesn't remember.

A co-worker of his uses Amazon frequently. According to him, just one wrong keystroke can get you something you don't want -- like a Prime account.

2. We never had Prime. DH MIGHT buy from Amazon once or twice in a year -- A Prime account would be flat out stupid.

3. The charge has been taken off his credit card, which --- he watches like a hawk so hopefully they don't put the charge back in, elst I will resurrect this thread and "go off on Amazon" again

4. The one good thing about Amazon is all the jobs they have brought to Tennessee.
"Elst?"

Seriously?

Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
If you ever fine me buying anything from Amazon, you're welcome to slash all 4 tires of my car!

When I hear of how much $$ this man is making in one day, that's enough for me!

I just drove to Target tonite to buy some groceries and I needed to buy a couple belts for my pants.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:06 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,865 times
Quote:
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
You can easily cancel even accidental Prime membership purchase... EVEN if the period had already started!
Just contact their customer service and explain that you did not intend to sign up.

Been there, done that!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you ever fine me buying anything from Amazon, you're welcome to slash all 4 tires of my car!
When I hear of how much $$ this man is making in one day, that's enough for me!

I just drove to Target tonite to buy some groceries and I needed to buy a couple belts for my pants.
Funny, I don't care how much does Amazon itself make, if it makes MY life easier! And I can find some wider variety of stuff, or/and cheaper than at other places.
I buy there a LOT, get free shipping (if purchasing total is over $25-$50, for certain categories) and STILL haven't signed up for Prime!

Speaking of Target - when I shop there, I use their FREE shipping for anything but food, too! Very convenient, no gas wasted driving, no extra time shopping!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
I've had less trouble with Amazon than with other mail order retailers. I've found them to be very helpful and willing to correct the record. I've returned stuff for full refund, including return shipping. It helps to have all pertinent paperwork and information near by, so one doesn't get flustered by the process.

Will they be so accommodating in the future?

Don't know.

(P.S. - Prime membership is more than quick shipping. There are movies and TV shows and books available, too. If you watch four movies / month, you've recouped your cost.)

Old 01-27-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What bothered me the most is that not only the customer service rep, but also the Amazon Logistics manager she connected me to, were unable to simply call the driver and ask where he left it. While I have had UPS do that several times.
It could have been within a block of my home and I'd never know it because they don't apparently have contact with drivers. I thought that would be a simple solution but they'd rather refund and make me wait 2 more days to get it redelivered.
HOW should AMAZON be able to contact UPS drivers directly?? They don't answer to Amazon - they are not employed by them!

Best Amazon can do is rely on UPS-supplied updates... But there is no way they should be expected to contact third-party employees directly! (While, of course, UPS themselves can do that!)

Old 01-27-2019, 07:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
Bull. He probably saw free shipping with Prime. Had no idea what it was and figured
1. Some sign up as a member get free shipping
Or
2 knew what it was said I’ll sign up and cancel when the package arrives and forgot.

There is no way you accidentally sign up for prime membership. And Amazon doesn’t need to do those hidden charges. You see exactly what you’re buying and the charges on your receipt at checkout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We need more people to stand up to the monopolies. I have been a customer of Amazon for about 10 years now, but I am no fanboy. These days I only buy from them when I can't find the item I need elsewhere. And whenever possible I buy from local stores that offer either free shipping or store pickup.
Pretty hypocritical of you. If you boycott something you boycott it completely and buy elsewhere or do without.
The way “you’re standing up to the monopolies “ is like the person on a diet saying I’m ony gonna eat cake when I really need to

Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I have never seen an item where the price was only available for Prime members. Usually the Prime badge next to the item means it qualifies for free 2-day shipping if you're a Prime member. Anyone can buy it, they'll just possibly have to pay shipping or wait longer for the item to arrive.
Here's the link to the machine.
https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Crysta...Sewing+Machine

It says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com exclusively for Prime members."

It says that now, might change at any time. Non prime members can order from other vendors through Amazon, prices start at $142.

I see prime only offers like this occasionally, not every time I search.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I had a similar experience. I spoke with a rep; had the charge and service cancelled, and received a full refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products