Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 05:28 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The reasons stores are opened or closed goes way beyond simple claims of financial distress of an entire company. The biggest reason I have seen over the years is change in demographics. Drive through any inner city and you'll see it first hand. Drive through any dying small town and you'll see it first hand. There are other reasons that are too numerous to bother listing as a response to such idiocy.

Yes, there are chains in financial distress, largely from not pivoting when needed or making poor decisions based only on the demands of stockholders and bean counters. Life goes on.
I think a large part of it is the decline of the work ethic. It's simply unpleasant to shop where the help is nasty, doesn't speak English, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 06:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Bed Bath & Beyond has been dysfunctional for years.

The process of checking out was always painfully slow, and for no visible reason, like a long line. The cashiers were simply way too slow.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:03 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Sears is down to just 18 stores in the US, but they are still closing more. When they get down to the last store, it will still be too many.

Brick and mortar is so 20th Century. You can get everything you want online. Shopping in person will only get harder and harder.
You still need stores. I would never consider buying clothes, shoes, a suit or any clothing online without trying it on or at least visually inspecting it. Same goes for some electronics. I want to see it in action. A picture on a website isn’t good enough. Returning things online could get costly and just delays the purchase. Stores aren’t going anywhere for the most part. People still need things now and not tomorrow or three days from now.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:04 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,068 times
They shouldn’t have canceled My Pillow. That was a dumb move and it had at least a minor impact on them. I stopped shopping there because of it and know plenty who did also.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
They shouldn’t have canceled My Pillow. That was a dumb move and it had at least a minor impact on them. I stopped shopping there because of it and know plenty who did also.
??? That pillow was one of the worst products ever made.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:07 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
I normally buy Wamsutta and Madison Park towels from Bed, Bath & Beyond but have not been able to buy any for about two years now because they have been out of stock. I was hoping to pick some up before they went out of business but I was too late. It's a shame they're going out of business. They carried a great selection of colors, between the two brands, I've always been able to get good colors for our bathrooms.

I haven't tried another store because we didn't need them yet but that day is coming. Thankfully I have Walmart, Target, Marshall's, Ross, Burlington and Kohls all within about 5 miles, plus there is a mall 20 minutes away with other stores.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:01 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Target's and Walmart's are always jammed with customers.... Heck just about every store seems busy except for BB&B, Kohls, Macy's, etc... and those are the ones that are dying.
Target has opened more mini-locations in the last few years and those seem to be doing well. Macy's always is good for in store clothing purchases when one wants to try something on (rather than order blindly online). My only problem with Macy's is that the fitting rooms don't seem to be manned sometimes and that makes it difficult to try on clothing. I have always seen shoppers in Macy's wherever I have gone there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Try Marshalls Home Goods if you have them.
I always find Marshalls to be a messy store. It is difficult to find stuff there (and the same goes for TJ Max and Burlingtons). So I prefer not to shop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
You still need stores. I would never consider buying clothes, shoes, a suit or any clothing online without trying it on or at least visually inspecting it. A picture on a website isn’t good enough. Returning things online could get costly and just delays the purchase. Stores aren’t going anywhere for the most part.
I also prefer buying clothing in store where I can try it on as it is hassle to return things that need to be mailed back. The only time I purchase sport shoes online is if they are the exact same model I already have (so I know they will fit!).

Old 01-10-2023, 05:24 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I normally buy Wamsutta and Madison Park towels from Bed, Bath & Beyond but have not been able to buy any for about two years now because they have been out of stock. I was hoping to pick some up before they went out of business but I was too late. It's a shame they're going out of business. They carried a great selection of colors, between the two brands, I've always been able to get good colors for our bathrooms.

I haven't tried another store because we didn't need them yet but that day is coming. Thankfully I have Walmart, Target, Marshall's, Ross, Burlington and Kohls all within about 5 miles, plus there is a mall 20 minutes away with other stores.
You know what towels you want. They are just a few clicks away, and you can have them on your doorstep in a few days, maybe quicker.

Amazon.com Wamsutta Towels

Amazon.com Madison Park towels

Old 01-10-2023, 05:31 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
??? That pillow was one of the worst products ever made.
True, but Mike Lindell is a hero to many on the right of center fringes of US politics. They took it personally. Politics is best kept out of any company. There are partisans of both sides all over the place.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:21 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Lands End-has nice towels, and frequent sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products