Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 11:41 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times

Advertisements

This is unfortunate.

I kind of like Bed, Bath, and Beyond because of the range of merchandise they sell, although I don't think they sell anything I can't get elsewhere.

Last fall I was looking to buy a suit. If we still had a Macy's in our area I would have gone there, but I wound up choosing between a wool/polyester blend suit from Men's Wearhouse for $2-300, a lower quality than I really wanted, or one at our local men's store for something like $4,000. Something a notch or two above the MW suit, all wool but not up in the thousands, was what I was looking for.

I survived. I suspect the choice to live in small-town Vermont had as much to do with it as the general decline of retail. I probably could have had more choices if I had wanted to drive an hour or two more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 01:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
When I lived in California, I used online retailers a lot. Now that I live in Hawaii (8+ years), I mostly shop at brick-and-mortar stores. The reason? Shipping is outrageous to Hawaii. Often the shipping cost is 5-10 times the price of the item.

Consequently, I shop at Costco, Walmart, Ross, and occasionally, grocery stores. Once or twice a year, I visit Macy's, Tommy Bahama, Target, etc.

I order online when shipping is free or there is no other choice. Often when "free shipping is included", Hawaii and maybe Alaska are not included.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 799,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Brick and mortar can be very successful if they figure out how to combine those stores with online shopping.
This is a good idea. I will always be someone who is tactile. I need to touch, feel, tug, whatever, on towels, sheets, blankets. I need to try on clothes & shoes. I used to "mail order" shoes & clothing, but that was when quality was better & sizing was accurate. I need to feel the "heft" of an object & it's size & proportion. OTOH, if my kid can't find it on Amazon or similar, they don't get it. I have encountered some genuine crap on Amazon. If I have to hassle with returning it, what is the point?

Old 01-12-2023, 10:34 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
They shouldn’t have canceled My Pillow. That was a dumb move and it had at least a minor impact on them. I stopped shopping there because of it and know plenty who did also.
But there's others who probably stopped shopping there because they sold it, so I'm sure it evened out. He tied it too much to politics.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think a large part of it is the decline of the work ethic. It's simply unpleasant to shop where the help is nasty, doesn't speak English, etc.
I never ever had anyone less than polite at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The only time in my life I ever had an employee in any store that didn't spak English, was a Publix in Florida 20 years ago, and he was a stocker or something not a cashier. Where do you live that they hire front-line workers who don't speak English? I have never heard of that.

I stopped going there as much when they stopped honoring expired coupons. I used to bring 15 or so with me and they'd honor all of them (because, like CVS, everyone knows they are overpriced, and the coupon brings it down to "normal"). Then I heard they weren't doing that anymore, and just like I won't buy anything at CVS without a coupon, I won't go there without them, either. I started using Amazon more.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:54 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never ever had anyone less than polite at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The only time in my life I ever had an employee in any store that didn't spak English, was a Publix in Florida 20 years ago, and he was a stocker or something not a cashier. Where do you live that they hire front-line workers who don't speak English? I have never heard of that.
Port Chester's store has closed. The Greenburgh store and Port Chester have many retail operations where the front-line workers are challenged in the English language. That is the nature of our area, which is closely divided between foreign-language ethnic areas, and highly affluent areas like Scarsdale and Rye Brook. Other minorities are concentrated in cities such as White Plains, Yonkers and Mount Vernon, that do not have good transit to the BBB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I stopped going there as much when they stopped honoring expired coupons. I used to bring 15 or so with me and they'd honor all of them (because, like CVS, everyone knows they are overpriced, and the coupon brings it down to "normal"). Then I heard they weren't doing that anymore, and just like I won't buy anything at CVS without a coupon, I won't go there without them, either. I started using Amazon more.
Those stores are still lower-price than Mom and Pop stores.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:58 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
When I lived in California, I used online retailers a lot. Now that I live in Hawaii (8+ years), I mostly shop at brick-and-mortar stores. The reason? Shipping is outrageous to Hawaii. Often the shipping cost is 5-10 times the price of the item.

Consequently, I shop at Costco, Walmart, Ross, and occasionally, grocery stores. Once or twice a year, I visit Macy's, Tommy Bahama, Target, etc.

I order online when shipping is free or there is no other choice. Often when "free shipping is included", Hawaii and maybe Alaska are not included.
Why? I get free shipping on items from China and the UK. I don't know why you can't get free shipping in Hawaii.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Port Chester's store has closed. The Greenburgh store and Port Chester have many retail operations where the front-line workers are challenged in the English language. That is the nature of our area, which is closely divided between foreign-language ethnic areas, and highly affluent areas like Scarsdale and Rye Brook. Other minorities are concentrated in cities such as White Plains, Yonkers and Mount Vernon, that do not have good transit to the BBB's.

Those stores are still lower-price than Mom and Pop stores.
Where are there mom and pop home goods stores? And mom and pop stores have an excuse, they can't buy in quantity to get a cheaper price, not the case with B,B and B or CVS. Those are not my only choices, luckily. I use CVS at the beginning of the month when I get my $10 Care Pass coupon, but I wait until I have a 40% off one item, and combine them. Without a coupon I'd go to Walmart or Amazon, or EBay (face moisturizer)

Old 01-12-2023, 11:07 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Try Costco for excellent sheets: Kirkland Signature 680 t/c.
Not a member and choosing not to be as I am a single female who doesn't need to buy items in bulk that will last me a long, long time. I have a set of sheets from BB&B that are very nice, but it is the brand that I bought that BB&B sold.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:14 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
They shouldn’t have canceled My Pillow. That was a dumb move and it had at least a minor impact on them. I stopped shopping there because of it and know plenty who did also.
Yes, companies, sports coaches, and other venues that rely on the public should keep their political views to themselves in terms of public knowledge. This burns one side or other of the customers, some, or many, who may boycott that business. I am a boycotter and I "walk the walk and talk the talk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products