Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 11:31 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Not a member and choosing not to be as I am a single female who doesn't need to buy items in bulk that will last me a long, long time. I have a set of sheets from BB&B that are very nice, but it is the brand that I bought that BB&B sold.
I do buy in bulk anything I can. But I still wouldn't get a Costco membership, for the same reason I wouldn't get a Prime membership. I don't pay for discounts. It defeats the purpose of the discount. I can buy bulk items on Amazon at prices that are comparable to Costco and I can get them delivered for free. Why would I want to pay a membership fee and burn up a tank of gas driving to the nearest Costco, when I can just click a couple of buttons and have it delivered to my door free in less the a week? I have my yearly supply of Teriyaki Sauce that I love on the way right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 11:56 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where are there mom and pop home goods stores? And mom and pop stores have an excuse, they can't buy in quantity to get a cheaper price, not the case with B,B and B or CVS. Those are not my only choices, luckily. I use CVS at the beginning of the month when I get my $10 Care Pass coupon, but I wait until I have a 40% off one item, and combine them. Without a coupon I'd go to Walmart or Amazon, or EBay (face moisturizer)
The closest Walmart is in Yorktown, a good 25-35 mile drive. The closest Amazon is at my fingertips but I prefer buying in-person.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:45 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default Bed Bath and Beyond dying a slow death

Well, their marketing department is alive and kicking --
they send me emails every day, sometimes twice a day...
and postal mail a couple of times a month,
all this even though I'm a very infrequent shopper.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:25 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, their marketing department is alive and kicking --
they send me emails every day, sometimes twice a day...
and postal mail a couple of times a month,
all this even though I'm a very infrequent shopper.
That's just a bot, though.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:57 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I think a lot of the store closings are because they built too many stores in the first place. People are overloaded with "stuff" in their homes, thrift stores are overloaded with donations. People don't need to keep buying and buying more of the same stuff.
I like having enough linens that I don't need to shop for more, but rather can just go to my linen closet and find a brand new set of sheets previously purchased and ready to be washed and put on the bed. As you mentioned that the newer styles are really bland, I don't have to worry about that, either. I already like whatever I have bought "for later."

Nevertheless, my favorite sheets are the even older ones that my mother either owned or gave to me as a gift many, many years ago. None of those wonderful made-in-the-USA linens ever fall apart, unlike newer sets, and they feel smoother on the skin.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:46 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I'm really disappointed. Once Linens 'n Things closed, there really wasn't any other store comparable to BB&B. The Home Goods, Marshalls, etc. all just seem to be a hodge-podge of stuff. I don't buy in bulk -- don't have the storage space plus can't lift those mega-bottles of laundry detergent or whatever -- so no Costco for me. And the expired coupons were a huge plus. The last time I was in BB&B looking for some artwork, their inventory was lousy but I thought maybe it was the store location (not in the best area of town). So I wouldn't have been surprised if that particular BB&B closed, but I sure didn't expect ALL of them to close.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm really disappointed. Once Linens 'n Things closed, there really wasn't any other store comparable to BB&B. The Home Goods, Marshalls, etc. all just seem to be a hodge-podge of stuff. I don't buy in bulk -- don't have the storage space plus can't lift those mega-bottles of laundry detergent or whatever -- so no Costco for me. And the expired coupons were a huge plus. The last time I was in BB&B looking for some artwork, their inventory was lousy but I thought maybe it was the store location (not in the best area of town). So I wouldn't have been surprised if that particular BB&B closed, but I sure didn't expect ALL of them to close.
I was extremely disappointed when our local BB&B closed. They had a huge selection of housewares and linens. You could always count on the fact that they had all the best OXO gadgets. Like you, we had many of those expired coupons that they always accepted. We had purchased so many things there over the years and I enjoyed shopping there, so the store closing so abruptly was a shock. They were one of the main stores in the center-of-town mall, which was quite a loss for other stores' foot traffic, too.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:12 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I wish they would bring the ‘G’ bags for trash can back to any 2 of my semi-close to B,B& Beyond stores. They have many of the other ones. The past couple times I was in one of their stores, they didn’t have what I was looking for. Yea, I can order it via website as I can just as easily do with Amazon but sometimes one just wants to get it in the store.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:53 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
They got rid of all the name brands we used to buy and replaced them with their own store brands. Noritake china, Avanti towels to name a few. We wondered what was going on and then we read about the new change to store brands. Our local store is like a morgue, the friendly employees greet you when you come in but there is nothing to buy. I felt bad for them. Target has their own brands, but the quality is good and its always been part of their cache. I never hesitate tom buy them. It seems like BBY made this monumental change too quickly. We now shop at Homesense which is always packed.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:03 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Brick and mortar stores are all dying. The future is online shopping. Nothing is going to reverse that trend.
+1
And, yet in my neck of the woods, the presence of older strip malls that are totally vacant or nearly vacant hasn't stopped some "business geniuses" from building new strip malls nearby.
And--surprise, surprise--the new strip malls are usually totally vacant or nearly vacant, two or more years after completion. Who in his right mind would think that building a new strip mall nowadays makes sense?

On cold or rainy days, I do my power-walking indoors, at a large, regional, enclosed mall. In addition to the now-vacant Lord & Taylor anchor store, the current rate of vacancies for the smaller stores in that mall is now running about 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products