Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 10:21 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
That's an urban myth. Even the cheapest machines have electronic controls, and chances are that quality control is not a priority for these machines to keep costs down. My grandmother already replaced two control boards on her Whirlpool VMW top loader with an agitator. Anything mechanical you will have to go with Speed Queen.
yeah, you get what you paid for, or at least thats what I learned....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 07:32 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Where did you order your SQ from? I live in a city where I have 2 choices, and one is a Scratch and Dent. Both are in town but quite a ways away. The stores that carry SQ along with other choices, IOW, real appliance stores, are hours away.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:53 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
I got mine from a locally owned store.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:27 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Where did you order your SQ from? I live in a city where I have 2 choices, and one is a Scratch and Dent. Both are in town but quite a ways away. The stores that carry SQ along with other choices, IOW, real appliance stores, are hours away.
have you searched online for SQ's for sale near you, some Home Depot or Lowes carry a few, or maybe they would order one for you.

Do your homework, find out what model you would like then call them and ask if they can order it....
I got mine from a furniture and appliance store in my town.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:25 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Thanks to suzy_q2010 and cremebrulee for your replies.

Old 05-13-2023, 02:34 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post

We had a Fisher & Paykel, and she loved it. But it didn't last very long.

We switched over to a Speed Queen washer/dryer--their middle line with LED's. Best thing it came with a 10 year warranty.

We love the Speed Queens.

I bought Fisher & Paykel washer in 2000.
Never had any problems with it. Never called service. After 23 years, it still runs like brand new.
My son bought his F&P washer and dryer few weeks after me. Never had any problems either. He has now a huge Samsung set (family of 5) and it has problems now and then.
His F&P went to one of our rentals because there is nothing wrong with it, even after few years being "mishandled" by renters.

If my washer ever breaks, I will buy F&P again.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:39 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I bought Fisher & Paykel washer in 2000.
Never had any problems with it. Never called service. After 23 years, it still runs like brand new.
My son bought his F&P washer and dryer few weeks after me. Never had any problems either. He has now a huge Samsung set (family of 5) and it has problems now and then.
His F&P went to one of our rentals because there is nothing wrong with it, even after few years being "mishandled" by renters.

If my washer ever breaks, I will buy F&P again.
Never heard of that brand. I just buy a cheaper washer and the last one lasted 10 years.

Old 05-13-2023, 12:43 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I guess it's not a popular brand (although we bought it at Lowe's), and some reviews aren't favorable. It seems that some people have a better luck with the brand than others, but that apply to just about everything.
We got "lucky".

Fisher & Paykel has been designing products since 1934 and has grown into a global company with products sold in more than 50 countries around the world.
Fisher & Paykel is rated as one of the best contemporary kitchen appliance manufacturers in the world.

Opinion/review:
https://www.renovationhusbands.com/p...pliance-review

Old 05-13-2023, 01:09 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I guess it's not a popular brand (although we bought it at Lowe's), and some reviews aren't favorable. It seems that some people have a better luck with the brand than others, but that apply to just about everything.
We got "lucky".

Fisher & Paykel has been designing products since 1934 and has grown into a global company with products sold in more than 50 countries around the world.
Fisher & Paykel is rated as one of the best contemporary kitchen appliance manufacturers in the world.

Opinion/review:
https://www.renovationhusbands.com/p...pliance-review
I know all the older stuff lasted much longer. When i got this house in 2004 it still had the washer that came with the house from 1973.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:46 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I know all the older stuff lasted much longer. When i got this house in 2004 it still had the washer that came with the house from 1973.
The problem is that with the top loaders with agitators many buyers get a false sense of durability, thinking they are built the same as they were in the past since that is what they grew up with. Most of today's agitator top loaders are not designed to be long-lasting appliances; they are basically made for the apartment and college student rental market and most manufacturers try to keep costs as low as possible with these machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products