Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times

Advertisements

I also know someone having great luck with a Speed Queen, which we will buy next time. We have had bad experiences with our last two makes, most recently Samsung Front Loader which is horrible. It's hard to keep the mold off, it takes forever to run a load, and the many of the labels for the controls have rubbed off. Before that we had a Kenmore top-loader, and after just 4 years the bearing seals went out, making noise and causing it to eat socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 07:49 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
I have a very large 5.CF Maytag. Have had it a year, very happy with it, no agitator. Had an agitator whirlpool, left it at our old house.

I can wash a queen sized comforter plus the bed sheets with no problem.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:04 AM

329 posts, read 225,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I presently have a GE upright, with no agitator, and it's starting to go...I've been searching thru reviews and it seems like there isn't one machine that has all good reviews....

I'd like a top loader machine....

So, I thought I'd reasearch online and ask you all what model you have and the pros and cons about it...I am not looking for a front loader...had one, didn't like it.

Thanks
Cremebrulee, I can advise you on which machine not to buy, and that is Whirlpool. We had one that stopped working within several months of purchase. Our Whirlpool dishwasher experienced a similar fate. I currently have a LG Efficiency model, which came with the house when we bought it. Although it has these cost-saving and energy-efficiency features, as well as extras such as "Turbo Wash" and "Sanitize," I'm still trying to decide if I like it. The agitation seems almost too gentle, even when it's set to "towels" or other items that require stronger agitation. I don't know what your budget is, but some of these efficiency models for LG sell for ~ $800. or more, maybe less if on sale.

The LG Efficiency referenced above is a top loader. Its size seems huge compared to the washers I'm accustomed to using. The tub is very deep, but that is an advantage if you're washing comforters and other very large articles.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:32 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
No matter how hard anyone tries to convince you, any agitator top loader other than Speed Queen is cheap junk. They are not built to last like like those built decades ago and are mainly meant to be disposable apartment grade appliances for the college student. While they may appear to have a knob to select the cycle, they do not operate the same way as the old mechanical timers; the cycle is selected electronically (you can tell by LEDs indicating the phases of the cycle, and that they are controlled with a solid state start/pause button).

Old 05-06-2023, 01:14 PM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
Cremebrulee, I can advise you on which machine not to buy, and that is Whirlpool. We had one that stopped working within several months of purchase. Our Whirlpool dishwasher experienced a similar fate. I currently have a LG Efficiency model, which came with the house when we bought it. Although it has these cost-saving and energy-efficiency features, as well as extras such as "Turbo Wash" and "Sanitize," I'm still trying to decide if I like it. The agitation seems almost too gentle, even when it's set to "towels" or other items that require stronger agitation. I don't know what your budget is, but some of these efficiency models for LG sell for ~ $800. or more, maybe less if on sale.

The LG Efficiency referenced above is a top loader. Its size seems huge compared to the washers I'm accustomed to using. The tub is very deep, but that is an advantage if you're washing comforters and other very large articles.
The past 15 years I've had to replace 4 washing machines, one was a Bosch front loader, two were GE'sone with an agiator one without, and the other was a Whirl. I had a washing machine repair guy tell me years ago to purchase a speed queen, and I didn't listen, this time I'm getting one, and it's arriving on Tuesday. So, I hope this is the last washing machine for a while...

Old 05-06-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
No matter how hard anyone tries to convince you, any agitator top loader other than Speed Queen is cheap junk. They are not built to last like like those built decades ago and are mainly meant to be disposable apartment grade appliances for the college student. While they may appear to have a knob to select the cycle, they do not operate the same way as the old mechanical timers; the cycle is selected electronically (you can tell by LEDs indicating the phases of the cycle, and that they are controlled with a solid state start/pause button).
yes, finding that out...they sure don't make em like they used to...they are so cheaply made.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for your kind replys...after much research I've decided on a speed Queen.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:18 PM

2,038 posts, read 994,746 times
you'l love it, congrats

Old 05-06-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
you'l love it, congrats
thank you.....

Old 05-06-2023, 06:19 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Good luck with the speed queen. Let us know how you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post

My old machine was a whirlpool cabrio. The agitator washer we left when we sold in June was a whirlpool. It was not as good as my 2008 Cabrio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The past 15 years I've had to replace 4 washing machines, one was a Bosch front loader, two were GE'sone with an agiator one without, and the other was a Whirl. I had a washing machine repair guy tell me years ago to purchase a speed queen, and I didn't listen, this time I'm getting one, and it's arriving on Tuesday. So, I hope this is the last washing machine for a while...

I had to have the whirlpool cabrio fixed twice, it turned out that socks and underwear were jumping the drum. I had a repair guy who was cheap.

I ended up getting rid of it when it had an excess soap error. My hub said he was done fixing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products