Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

"You get what you pay for". I see your point but I also think you are over-reacting,one can "feel" the anger in your posts...shop somewhere else...why cause someone to , possibly, loose their job over this incident, remember Walmart only cares about its bottom line not customer satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Had that happened to me, I would have stood right there and waited for SOMEONE to put my groceries in my cart. Those who work in stores FORGET that their wages come from those of us who buy things at those stores.

I don't pay the store to do a job that I have to do my self. If they want me to bag my own groceries, or put them in my cart, then they can give them to me for free; equal exchange.

By purchasing groceries at a particular store, I am paying for that cashier to bag them and put them in my cart. Stores mark up prices astronomically high to pay their employees. I pay those prices. I expect service.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
groceries nor merchandise should not go on the floor. on the counter or in the cart but not on the floor this needs attention.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Wal-mart's don't have enough counter space for groceries--seriously. And yes, if you FILL a shopping cart, they are going to run out of room. When I was first bagging groceries, I have seen two carts grow to three or four once packed properly. They also need to train the cashiers how to bag more effectively.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Had that happened to me, I would have stood right there and waited for SOMEONE to put my groceries in my cart. Those who work in stores FORGET that their wages come from those of us who buy things at those stores.

I don't pay the store to do a job that I have to do my self. If they want me to bag my own groceries, or put them in my cart, then they can give them to me for free; equal exchange.

By purchasing groceries at a particular store, I am paying for that cashier to bag them and put them in my cart. Stores mark up prices astronomically high to pay their employees. I pay those prices. I expect service.
I like self checkouts so that I don't have to deal with an employee. Nothing I hate worse when shopping for something than an employee coming up to me and interrupting my shopping experience. I can make my own decisions without their input. (In case you haven't guessed, I don't particularly care for "salesmen" either.)

Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Ok....I'm still not quite sure what the problem was..

I think the poor cashier was doomed from the start.

If she didn't keep ringing up your purchases then you would have run out of room on the belt, resulting in you not being able to finish emptying your cart.
Then where could she put the bags?

So she chose to continue ringing up your purchase and did what she thought was best for the situation. Granted if another cashier wasn't busy she could have asked one of them to get another cart but she made a judgement call.

Maybe something about you that day made her think you were in a hurry and needed to get out of there quickly. Don't know.

Now...when you asked about the rest of your bags, was she finished with your order or was she still ringing up the sale? Did she offer to help you with the bags or did she just stand there watching you struggle with them?

Sorry I have no problem with the bags being on the floor per se...there is plastic between the product and the floor. There probably just as many germs other places. It's not like there were loose produce laying around on the floor.

I just don't see this a poor customer service. Not the best judgement call maybe but not bad customer service.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Ok....I'm still not quite sure what the problem was..

I think the poor cashier was doomed from the start.

If she didn't keep ringing up your purchases then you would have run out of room on the belt, resulting in you not being able to finish emptying your cart.
Then where could she put the bags?

So she chose to continue ringing up your purchase and did what she thought was best for the situation. Granted if another cashier wasn't busy she could have asked one of them to get another cart but she made a judgement call.

Maybe something about you that day made her think you were in a hurry and needed to get out of there quickly. Don't know.

Now...when you asked about the rest of your bags, was she finished with your order or was she still ringing up the sale? Did she offer to help you with the bags or did she just stand there watching you struggle with them?

Sorry I have no problem with the bags being on the floor per se...there is plastic between the product and the floor. There probably just as many germs other places. It's not like there were loose produce laying around on the floor.

I just don't see this a poor customer service. Not the best judgement call maybe but not bad customer service.
I have to agree with dear sweet Granny Sue here, I really don't see the overal problem. We are talking about Wally World here.... no frills one stop belly button shopping.

I have retailed and well.... customer has to take some responciblity for their purchases/shopping. Prethink your needs and act accordingly. Don't feel rushed to get all your item up on the belt fast, you can ask the cashier to slow dow till you get everything on the belt so you can start putting items in the cart as she bags. commplaining about that seem to be like getting upset that you have to wash your own windows at a self-service gas station.

I can understand being upset and having to deal with a new type of service standard for the new area you now live in. It is a hard adjustment. I deal with customers from all over the country including Canada, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. I have to adjust my service each and every call to best fit the person calling. And I can tell you some areas of the country are nit-pickers and others a easy to please.

The main problem I see in your situation is that the time you should have complained about the cashier was long gone. Ok being upset about the over all service from day one is one thing, but now that cashier most likely has a bad mark on her record she can explain her side of events, because she won't remember it. The time for anyone to complain about specific service is at the time it happens not later down the road a few days. Even if a letter is written it takes a few days to deliver and few days to open.

The hardest job in the world is being in the service industry.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
The hardest job in the world is being in the service industry.
Then I suggest that anyone who wishes NOT to provide the SERVICE, stay out of the business.

Problem solved.

Why do you think it's called S-E-R-V-I-C-E?????

That doesn't mean:

~I'll stand here while you do my job.
~Well, I'm not here to solve your problem.
~I suggest you go somewhere else.
~I'm not getting paid to take care of you.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Then I suggest that anyone who wishes NOT to provide the SERVICE, stay out of the business.

Problem solved.

Why do you think it's called S-E-R-V-I-C-E?????

That doesn't mean:

~I'll stand here while you do my job.
~Well, I'm not here to solve your problem.
~I suggest you go somewhere else.
~I'm not getting paid to take care of you.
I'll grant you that not EVERYone can work in the industries such as retail or resuarant. I have seen many and wroked with many loafers.

But why do some customers think it there Right to have everything handed to them on a solid gold platter?

Personally I give my customers the best service I can and let me tell you it is a THANKLESS service. Oh I get told LOVELY things about how great I am and how wonderful it was or that I shouldn't change my personality because I am such an asset to the company. but do those customer tell my employer? no.

Yet, one slip of humnaity in my service I know that can mean a black mark on my employment record. More customers call to complain then to praise. Luckily I haven't gotten one smudge yet from a customer. Still I worry. That is a lot of stress to hold on to day in and day out.

I am not excusing someone giving rude or substandard service. But I won't excuse the horrors customers demand. Having worked in the industry for well over what 35 years now, I have a strong understanding what makes for a good customer rep and what makes for a horrid or good customer.

Sorry but I do believe it takes two to tango, if one gets horrid service. Maybe one did something or expected more then they should? the customer has to have some responsiblity in every transaction. Has too. If not then legally all the transactions are void and the company doesn't have to do anything to recompensate.

the consurmer based businesses are based on making money... but underlining all that is the legalities of the business.

All in all I agree with you, some customer reps are not cut out to that career. but that career needs people they can afford... and guess what folks... they can afford the cheap ones. I get paid WAY too much an hour for my job. Guess who will be the next one fired! Guess who they will hire... someone without experience and who will do my job faster and without commentment... my total opposite. Why might I ask you will they do that? because I don't have all those previous customers talking to my employeer about how wonderful I am.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
So, wait, the only thing the cashier did wrong was put the bags on the floor and not in your cart, because there was no room in your cart. And the only thing you had to do to fix it was pick up the bags.

You're getting mad and complaining to corporate for this? Seriously? I mean, it's one thing if you have back problems and she refused to help you with the bags- that I could understand a complaint about. But if you're a fairly healthy person and all you were made to do was lift a few bags, I don't think that's really something to be upset about.
The cashier SHOULD have helped pick them up and put them in the cart... It's the correct thing to do..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products