Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times

Advertisements

I always take a bottle of water to the movies. I've only been asked about it once by a theater employee. I told him that I need the water because of the meds I take (totally true) and I cannot afford to pay the amount they charge for a bottle at the theater (not true).

I went to a theater in Warren, Michigan once and the people brought in picnic baskets. No lie. They were eating roast beef sandwiches and potato salad. When the movie ended they clapped. I loved it but sure wished I had a sandwich and chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM

989 posts, read 1,878,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Hi,

I was wondering is it illegal to take drinks/food into a movie theater rather then paying 5$ for a drink or popcorn?

How can they prevent you from taking stuff in? is it legal?

I always just end up sneaking stuff in.
I always bring snacks and beverages into the movie house. I don't care if it's legal or not. I'm already consenting to being raped for the price of a movie ticket. Moderator cut: language removed
I'll be dammed before I buy 6 dollar popcorn and 3 dollar soda.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-31-2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I eat before/after and don't like to drink becasue I don't want to miss anything by running to the bathroom. I mean it's only 2 hours tops.
So, if it's only 2 hours tops why would you be running to the bathroom? You got a small bladder or something?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:16 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
You can go to Target right before you go to the movies. Their popcorn and soda special is $1.45. Great popcorn, too. Just put it in a bag.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It's not illegal to bring things into the theater - you won't be arrested for it. Don't confuse legal and illegal with the rules of a private establishment - they are rules, not laws. That being said ... I ALWAYS bring my own stuff to the theater with me. I have a really big purse and all of our candy is stuffed into the purse. My older son brings a couple of Red Bulls or Monsters and they are in the purse too. My husband usually gets a big bag of popcorn and a large soda that we share. All of us share the popcorn, but only hubby and I share the drink. Why should we spend $40 or $50 for candy at the theater when we can get it for $10 or $15???
Side topic, careful with those drinks. They are just sugarey caffene pills. Also, Mountain Dew and that other one... Mellow Yellow I think? They were high caffene too (almost as much as strait coffee).

So if your kid gets fidgety during the flik, it is not because of the "wings", it is beause of the caffene jitters!

(Heck, why pay that much for a caffene drink when you can get it cheaper with some home brew anyway? )

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Wonder how long its gonna be now before movie theaters start searching purses and pockets for smuggled snacks??? They do it now at some theme parks, but of course are looking for weapons.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM

458 posts, read 1,671,414 times
I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the sob story of how wrong it is to bring in food, because the concession stand is basically the ONLY way theaters make money...etc.

That said, I think it's unethical of them to say you can't bring your own food, and then jack up the prices of their own food 500%. So, I have been known to bring my own snacks in.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Side topic, careful with those drinks. They are just sugarey caffene pills. Also, Mountain Dew and that other one... Mellow Yellow I think? They were high caffene too (almost as much as strait coffee).

So if your kid gets fidgety during the flik, it is not because of the "wings", it is beause of the caffene jitters!

(Heck, why pay that much for a caffene drink when you can get it cheaper with some home brew anyway? )
Um ... my kids are 15 and 25.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the sob story of how wrong it is to bring in food, because the concession stand is basically the ONLY way theaters make money...etc.

That said, I think it's unethical of them to say you can't bring your own food, and then jack up the prices of their own food 500%. So, I have been known to bring my own snacks in.
Someone already did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
They charge a lot for concessions because the theaters themselves make almost nothing on the ticket price. Not saying it's a fair price they charge for the food, but that's where the profit for a theater is. You have to sell a LOT of popcorn to pay for an IMAX

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

458 posts, read 1,671,414 times
Ah! I had totally missed that one. Sorry for the repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products