Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Want a 30-lb. Bottle of Ketchup, I Turn to...
Sam's Club 12 16.67%
Costco 45 62.50%
I Like Them Both About the Same 6 8.33%
I Prefer Smaller Retailers 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times

Advertisements

I buy all the toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, laundry detergent type of stuff at Costco. I also buy the meats, chicken, fish and I just separate into meal portions and freeze. I have two refrigerators so I can have room for this stuff but it beats having to buy the same things every week. I also get like the Chicken Cordon Bleu, lasagna, yogurts, coffee.

A lot of times we don't have time to really cook a dinner or have all the ingredients, or don't feel like cooking so their oven/microwave frozen foods come in very handy!

Some things I just can't buy there - mayonnaise or mustard or ketchup or butter or ice cream or the 20 cans of vienna sausages. We don't use that stuff up quickly enough.

SWB... I'm not really a impulse shopper. I'm very good actually. But food is one big weakness. And electronics. And gadgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
My family prefers Costco. We are a family of five so we tend to buy in bulk. they have a larger variety of canned goods, bakery items are better, more wine selections. We recently moved to Texas and the closest Costco is 30 miles away. We joined sam's and were truly disappointed. The quality of the goods just isn't the same. Man I miss my costco....

Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
I shop at both
I do like that you can get in Sams at 7 a.m. if you are a business member
If I can't get it at Sams I can at Costco
I buy my hardcover books at both,
Cil when your here I will meet you at Costco you can go in on my card to check it out.
HMMM it just so happens Costco is just down the road form the new St.Johns Towne Center where my favorite pizza is.
I don't care for the pizza at either Sams or Costco, but Costco has great Churros I alwyas grab one on the way out.
karla

Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
I've honestly never been inside either a Sam's Club or Costco Store and anyways, what is one suppose to do with a 30 lb bottle of catsup? lol. Sounds like a crime scene waiting to happen.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
I vote Sam's Club! I have no clue where the nearest Costco is to me -- probably 30-40 miles, which is prohibitive. Also, every couple of years we take the motorhome on a 2-3 month trip and can always find the Sam's Clubs. (Gas prices may close us down this year though. )

Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,300 times
I let my Sam's Club membership expire. Enough was enough: not worth the hassle of the slow and long lines, the difficulty finding specific items, and the trailer park entourage screaming at their out-of-control rugrats. I walked out of there oft times with a migraine. Just an overall stessful experience more than once.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:26 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I still can't believe that there are little hick towns around the U.S. that have a Costco while our area of 600,000+ does not. What did somebody around here do to tick off the Costco CEO? LOL! While we're at it, where's the Hard Rock Cafe: Scranton, Planet Hollywood: Scranton, Dave & Buster's: Scranton, and IKEA: Scranton? In case you couldn't tell by now, I was being facetious! LOL!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:53 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
I like BJ's.

I have never seen a Sam's club in New Jersey.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 PM

352 posts, read 796,912 times
Costco is the BEST !!! The bakery alone would get my vote..terrific ciabatta rolls and loaves..great yeast dinner rolls..all freeze well! We love the quality meats...vegetables...cheeses..frozen foods...just everything. We often split up canned goods and share with our grown children...the paper towels are good ...we love the prices on vitamin supplements...the coffee is rich and good..we buy lots of books and music there..great prices. Love it and wouldn't want to live where there is no access to a Costco.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,584,793 times
Sam's is closer to me so that is the reason I shop there. I grew up going to Costco so I guess to me they are both the same.

Does anyone remember when Costco was called THe Price Club? I still call it the price club..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products