Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM

9 posts, read 15,452 times

Advertisements

I'm curious because of the general sentiment I typically see on the internet is very negative. I remember during the WC this summer virtually every news story on sports sites and general sites like NBC that had comments allowed was filled with Americans hating the sport. Ditto any time soccer is mentioned on mainstream TV.

Is this just an internet thing? If someone was to walk into a sports bar in America and ask around what people think of soccer what would the reaction be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I don't think Americans really think about it enough to hate it.

Instead, the reaction is really to the weird, hectoring way soccer is brought to our attention. Personally, I think the vitriol you see comes after some Soccerphile begins to whine, "Why donnnnnnn't Americans love soccer? Everybody else in the wooooorrrrlllllldddddd doessssssss." Because this meme is embedded in just about every news story about the World Cup, from some puling commentator talking about how America is woefully behind in this game to the tired wheeze of "The rest of the world loves it why don't you?" This is typically followed by a bunch of rote discussions about how Americans are chauvinists, culturally inferior, blah blah blah, all because we prefer one kind of ball game over another. It's really lame and weak when you think about it.

So what if soccer is beloved in Senegal or Argentina? We like what we like, and don't really care for soccer being crammed down our throat as some culturally-superior alternative. We don't particularly like cricket either, a sport that's beloved by untold millions of Indians, Pakistanis, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, etc. etc. Yet they're not whining about it. Is that sufficient explanation for you?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Do Americans hate soccer as much as the internet leads me to believe?

Yes! Perhaps even more.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Do Americans hate soccer as much as the internet leads me to believe?

Yes! Perhaps even more.
Is it more hated than the metric system, less or about even?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think Americans really think about it enough to hate it.

Instead, the reaction is really to the weird, hectoring way soccer is brought to our attention. Personally, I think the vitriol you see comes after some Soccerphile begins to whine, "Why donnnnnnn't Americans love soccer? Everybody else in the wooooorrrrlllllldddddd doessssssss." Because this meme is embedded in just about every news story about the World Cup, from some puling commentator talking about how America is woefully behind in this game to the tired wheeze of "The rest of the world loves it why don't you?" This is typically followed by a bunch of rote discussions about how Americans are chauvinists, culturally inferior, blah blah blah, all because we prefer one kind of ball game over another. It's really lame and weak when you think about it.

So what if soccer is beloved in Senegal or Argentina? We like what we like, and don't really care for soccer being crammed down our throat as some culturally-superior alternative. We don't particularly like cricket either, a sport that's beloved by untold millions of Indians, Pakistanis, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, etc. etc. Yet they're not whining about it. Is that sufficient explanation for you?
That's bizzare. How exactly is soccer being crammed down your throat when its never on TV or in the news or anywhere else? America gets virtually zero exposure to soccer except maybe during the olympics or world cup from what I've heard.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.d View Post
That's bizzare. How exactly is soccer being crammed down your throat when its never on TV or in the news or anywhere else? America gets virtually zero exposure to soccer except maybe during the olympics or world cup from what I've heard.
Not really. I mean, have you read the threads on soccer here? Have you bothered to listen to the discussions that come up every four years during World Cup time? The air is rife with those very questions.

To be absolutely honest, Americans are completely and utterly apathetic about the sport itself. It's the nagging we can't stand.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Soccer fanatics frequently post condescending threads implying that somehow US sports fans are somehow missing "it". Present company excluded of course.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Soccer fanatics frequently post condescending threads implying that somehow US sports fans are somehow missing "it". Present company excluded of course.
Exactly. And it's really a stupid argument, one where there's never going to be a winner. You might as well argue whether Blue or Green is a better color.

I mean, I can watch a soccer game without hooting my disapproval. At the same time, by the time I get to the 70th minute, I'm thinking, "Will this thing NEVER end?" And by the 88th minute, I'm thinking, "Somebody hit somebody already."

But it's really a matter of cultural preference.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM

98 posts, read 173,055 times
I think you'll see a turnaround in a decade or so when all the kids playing soccer these days get a little older.

I have watched soccer with an Ex and I find it incredibly boring, sorry.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
It's not being crammed down our throats. Many of us love the game. I'm a big Arsenal fan myself and always try to catch every match of the WC and Euros. Don't pay too much attention to the malcontents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer