Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I thought Chelsea played great considering they lost their 2 centre backs early to injury and a red card and had Bosingwa (basically a right winger) playing in central defence. Chelsea scored 2 great goals and had some good chances in the away leg against Barca, the Ivanovic header should have been buried aswell. Chelsea played brilliantly defencivly (defence is part of football remember!) And limited Barca. That is the slowest I have seen Barca play in my life, just shows how good Chelsea played. And Barca were lucky at Stamford Bridge a few seasons back where Chelsea comprehensively outplayed Barca in every department and should have had a few stone wall penalties, but still went out. So it evens itself out!
Tactically, I think that when you play a team like Barcelona, you have to accept that they'll dominate possession. If you fight that and try to play them at their own game, they'll beat you. Chelsea got it right on both legs - let Barca pass it around and play pretty football, but Chelsea were clinical in front of goal, which was the difference maker. I think they'll win the tournament now, even without Terry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Agreed, you need to adapt when playing Barca and Chelsea seem to be the best team in Europe of doing exactly that. I see a rivalry forming between Barca and Chelsea, because all the games when they have played each other seem to turn out to be classics.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Agreed, you need to adapt when playing Barca and Chelsea seem to be the best team in Europe of doing exactly that. I see a rivalry forming between Barca and Chelsea, because all the games when they have played each other seem to turn out to be classics.
Chelsea has played Barca more than any other club in the Champions League. This is the 6th time they have met and I believe the 4th or 5th in the knockout stage. They are now 4 wins, 3 loses and 5 ties against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Chelsea are indeed something of a bogey team for Barcelona. Great result though and good to see Torres getting finding form again just at the right time. It can't be easy having that burden of expectation weighing on your shoulders due to a £50 million price tag.

I hope DiMatteo gets the job, but I think Abramovich has his eyes on Laurent Blanc.

Are you a fan of Chelsea BTW?
Yes, I am a big Chelsea fan. I don't know how I would feel having a national team manager get the job. Especially one from another country. DiMatteo has proved himself and the fans have taken to him. It will be a tough choice. Roman, who actually came into the bar here in Boston where I watch the matches, has had bad luck dealing with manages. I still miss Jose.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
Quote:
No if Chelsea win the champions league and finish outside the top 4 then they will replace 4th spot, the rules changed after it happened to Liverpool.
In that case I am anything but Chelsea for the final. Newcastle deserve a place in the Champions League if they finish 4th.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM

49 posts, read 84,854 times
Great game by Chelsea; I'd be lying if I said I didn't cheer when Torres hammered the final nail into barcelona's coffin. Cech, Cole, Ivanovic and Lampard were all spectacular with Cech playing the best game I've ever seen him play.

I can't see them beating Bayern Munich or Real Madrid without Terry, Meireles, Ivanovic and Ramires, though. Never know, they might pull it off, but both Real and Bayern are brutally strong down the wings and I can't see how Chelsea will be able to stop them with so many of their better players out.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
If Chelsea win the CL Final then they get in as defending champions, the Newcastle spot would still be there.
No they wont. 4th will miss out.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Roman, who actually came into the bar here in Boston where I watch the matches, has had bad luck dealing with manages. I still miss Jose.
No he has'nt. His problem is that he is to greedy and wants things straight away and that does'nt work. AVB should of been given to the end of the season in my view. Di Matteo came in and is doing a great job and it was a gamble sacking AVB but it wascone that is paying off so far.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM

Chelsea will not be able to hold off and defend in the final the way they did against Barca. They will need to attack and do all they can to score or else they will lose to Bayern or Madrid.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Bayern to win on agg. The score to be 2-2 tonight.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Chelsea will not be able to hold off and defend in the final the way they did against Barca. They will need to attack and do all they can to score or else they will lose to Bayern or Madrid.
This from a guy who was raving how Barca will destroy Chelsea, pihhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer