Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That stretched from Texas to California...

Not specifically Utah.
So? Are Coyotes limited to the Arizona desert? How many states have Rockies beside Colorado?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
So? Are Coyotes limited to the Arizona desert? How many states have Rockies beside Colorado?
No and no.

HOWEVER, those are mostly associated with those respective team (city/state) names.

If you were to ask most Americans where they could find a lot of coyotes, I'm sure the majority would say the American Southwest or the dessert. Therefore, Arizona. Wile E. Coyote would help fit that way of thinking.

If you were to ask most Americans which state had the Rocky Mountains, I'm POSITIVE the majority would say Colorado. Why? Because Colorado markets the Rocky Mountains more than anyone, and that state has Coors (the baseball field and "top the Rockies") so I'm sure of it.

Marketing helps shape certain areas and people's stereotypical views of those areas. So now I ask again, do you really believe that the first thing that will pop into people's minds when they think of Utah would be royalty or anything relating to it?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times
Real Salt Lake is the only "euro copy" that i think is silly. Salt Lake Royals would sound better.

But there are many more MLS teams that have ridiculous Arena league sounding names. Earthquakes? lol!! Fire? Impact? Revolution? What's next? Thundercats?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
But there are many more MLS teams that have ridiculous Arena league sounding names. Earthquakes? lol!! Fire? Impact? Revolution? What's next? Thundercats?
.... Arena League sounding?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times
Quote:
.... Arena League sounding?
yes, Arena league branding

Chicago Rush
Arizona Rattlers
San Jose Sabercats

Not much different than Kansas City Wizards(since changed thank God), San Jose Earthquakes, Montreal Impact.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Huh?

The New York Rangers came WAY before the Texas Rangers came into existence. New York was one of the Original Six in the NHL in the early 1900's and it wasn't until 1972 when Washington moved to Arlington to become the Texas Rangers.

And even if it were so, it still wouldn't be any better. But the example you gave here doesn't work mainly because those are two different kinds of "Rangers" anyway.
Texas Rangers, as in the state police.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Real Salt Lake is the only "euro copy" that i think is silly. Salt Lake Royals would sound better.

Real Salt Lake is lame since the "Real" of Real Madrid was a something that was bestowed on the team by the King of Spain back in the 1920s.

I don't mind the Earthquakes--since that's one that fits San Jose or even the New England Revolution all that much. But the ones like Chicago Fire(depsite the historical connotation) or Monteal Impact do sound like arena football-levels of corny(or the National Lacrosse League). But at the same time, when the Orlando Magic started that one sounded stupid and people have gotten used to that--and there was no name worse at first than the Anaheim Mighty Ducks(as a hockey fan I hated that team from the onset, just because of that name).

On the other hand Portland Timbers is a good name that's been around for a while and fits the team--and we've even got Timber Joey with his chainsaw who replaced Timber Jim... Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps aren't too bad of names either--at least the Northwest teams have original names that fit the region.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-24-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
JJG

Quote:
yes, Arena league branding

Chicago Rush
Arizona Rattlers
San Jose Sabercats

Not much different than Kansas City Wizards(since changed thank God), San Jose Earthquakes, Montreal Impact.
.... it's just your standard [City/State/Region & Nickname] way of naming a team. I don't see Chicago Rush being that much different from Chicago Bears or Chicago Bulls or Chicago Blackhawks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Texas Rangers, as in the state police.
Yeah, I know that.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I still think its funny that there is so many people butthurt over names. Sorry guys!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I still think its funny that there is so many people butthurt over names. Sorry guys!
And SOCCER fans should know about that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer