Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times

Advertisements

ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Just because he admits it doesnt make it right, its not like has to admit anything when he is pretty bad a diving. Like you said Mexican and Latin American players in general dive, he is up there as a more frequent diver imho. Hes a fantastic player but I will always remember him for his diving.
It does make him honest. I have far more respect for a player who admits he cheated at some point and acknowledges that it was wrong than someone who is in denial about it and takes on the victom role when anyone criticizes him (cue: Suarez and the biting incident).

Most people here in The Netherlands agree that the foul that led to the penalty was a light one and it was basically a 50/50 decision that went our way. However, the fact that we were denied a clear penalty earlier in the game more than compensates for that. If we had equalized much sooner, the game could have turned out very different for us. Based on the second half (when we usually step up our game) and the overall match statistics, Mexico has no basis to claim they "deserved" the game more than us. We had more shots, more shots on target, less fouls, more corners (10 vs. 2) and more initiative in the second half.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Just because he admits it doesnt make it right, its not like has to admit anything when he is pretty bad a diving. Like you said Mexican and Latin American players in general dive, he is up there as a more frequent diver imho. Hes a fantastic player but I will always remember him for his diving.
I agree with you. To me, Robben is a great player that has diving as a major aspect of his game. He does it all the time. When he gets touched, his first instinct to to fall down. Robben is an excellent dribbler, and executes cutbacks with the best of them, but he falls down on purpose too much for my liking. That is unlike many other players whose first instinct is to keep playing. It's too bad, because I would respect him as a player more if he didn't fall down on purpose so frequently.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
So its cool to cheat so long as hes on your team and admits afterwords that he did cheat but not the one time everybody thinks he cheats ? Suarez apologised for biting for the third time. I think its quite clear to the world that Suarez has some mental and anger issues he has to deal with. Not on the same line as blatant cheater like Robben. Suarez also got punished while Robben was rewarded.

Denied a clear peno doesnt mean you should dive and get a peno when nobody hacks you. One is human error by a ref that everyone deals with and another is plain cheating ... which Robben a a magician at. You can come on here and justify it to yourself (as it aint working with me) all day long but the fact is Robben is one of the biggest divers in world football. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It does make him honest. I have far more respect for a player who admits he cheated at some point and acknowledges that it was wrong than someone who is in denial about it and takes on the victom role when anyone criticizes him (cue: Suarez and the biting incident).

Most people here in The Netherlands agree that the foul that led to the penalty was a light one and it was basically a 50/50 decision that went our way. However, the fact that we were denied a clear penalty earlier in the game more than compensates for that. If we had equalized much sooner, the game could have turned out very different for us. Based on the second half (when we usually step up our game) and the overall match statistics, Mexico has no basis to claim they "deserved" the game more than us. We had more shots, more shots on target, less fouls, more corners (10 vs. 2) and more initiative in the second half.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
So its cool to cheat so long as hes on your team and admits afterwords that he did cheat but not the one time everybody thinks he cheats ?
Where did I ever say diving was OK?

Quote:
Suarez apologised for biting for the third time.
I see that Suarez finally released an apology on Twitter today (written in perfect English, lol). That wasn't his initial stance, though. He initially claimed this in a letter to FIFA:

Quote:
"In no way it happened how you have described, as a bite or intent to bite,” Suarez wrote.

"After the impact ... I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent.

"At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth."
World Cup: Uruguay striker Luis Suarez tells FIFA he did not bite Italy's Giorgio Chiellini | Football News | Sky Sports

Quote:
Denied a clear peno doesnt mean you should dive and get a peno when nobody hacks you.
Again, the penalty was justifiable. It was a foul and it was inside the box. If this had been in the 60th minute of the game and The Netherlands were 2-1 up, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
i agree with bri bri, great player but yeah he does like the deep end of the pool

Old 06-30-2014, 01:16 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

Oh, and for the Americans who pretend like diving is something unique to football, puh-lease. I've seen some Oscar worthy footage of the NFL as well.
Sure there may be flopping in other sports including the NFL, but the sport of soccer has shown itself to take things to a whole new level. You have guys acting they just were shot, rolling around on the ground and when they realize the ref isn't going to call a foul they spring right back up. I like soccer, but lets not pretend like the sport doesn't takes the cake when it comes to flopping and diving.

Good for France. After a disastrous 2010 World Cup they come back in Brazil and have a solid turnaround performance.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Great news for the US team. Jozy Altidore will be available to play for the U.S. against Belgium.

Great News From U.S. Soccer: Jozy Altidore Is Ready And Available

Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Great news for the US team. Jozy Altidore will be available to play for the U.S. against Belgium.

Great News From U.S. Soccer: Jozy Altidore Is Ready And Available
I doubt he can truly play meaningful minutes. That would be pretty risky to start him, as he could injury it right away...or bringing him in late in the game could leave you with 10 men to end. Either way, I doubt he plays...it just makes prep more difficult for the Belgians.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I doubt he can truly play meaningful minutes. That would be pretty risky to start him, as he could injury it right away...or bringing him in late in the game could leave you with 10 men to end. Either way, I doubt he plays...it just makes prep more difficult for the Belgians.
It's difficult to know, he may have been ready to go against the Germans but they rested him. He didn't pull his hamstring, only a strain.

I do agree with you though, if he's not at least at 80% it would be a pretty tough decision to give him too many minutes. We've proven we can play without him, so I don't think we should go in and risk a further injury or to weaken our lines on a risk that might not even have that much of a reward.

If they do choose to start him, it means he's in better condition than other people are giving him credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer