Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times

Advertisements

With Seattle joining the league next year, and Salt Lake, New York, Kansas City, San Jose, Philadelphia, and possibly St. Louis building brand new stadiums, the future is bright for football in the United States.

Major League Soccer: News: Article (http://www.mlsnet.com//news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080131&content_id=137294&vkey=n ews_mls&fext=.jsp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I havent been to the Fire's new stadium (Toyota Park), but it looks good. The Fire are decently big here, but nothing like the Revolution and their crazy fans.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I think soccer has gotten about as big in the US as it will ever get. Most Americans just cant get into it. Its boring.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:05 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I think soccer has gotten about as big in the US as it will ever get. Most Americans just cant get into it. Its boring.
boring . What do you think about baseball? This is the most boring sport in the world

Old 02-02-2008, 04:44 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I am right there with ya DaBeez. Americans just can't get with soccer, for the most part. It's great for kids to learn as a first sport. But as their coordination gets better, they do real sports like baseball, basketball, and football. Yes I know they are athletes, I know I couldn't run around all day like those guys do.

I am not downing soccer cuz it is the most popular sport in the world. There just isn't enough action.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
I am right there with ya DaBeez. Americans just can't get with soccer, for the most part. It's great for kids to learn as a first sport. But as their coordination gets better, they do real sports like baseball, basketball, and football. Yes I know they are athletes, I know I couldn't run around all day like those guys do.

I am not downing soccer cuz it is the most popular sport in the world. There just isn't enough action.
Not enough action?? Do you know how much actual playing time goes on in a 3 1/2 hour football game?? 12-15 minutes!!! At least they play the full 90 minutes in soccer. And baseball...the same. Just people standing around. In basketball, if you barely touch someone they call a little foul. Cheers to sports like hockey, soccer and rugby where they actually play and dont stop every 4 seconds.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:55 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:

haha..haha... Very funny! You obviously have NEVER played soccer. I love Football and basketball, don't get me wrong, but to label them as "real" sports, but not soccer is obsurd considering it takes a "real" athlete to play soccer. You play contineously for two 45 minute halves with no "timeouts", TV timeouts etc.... There is no separate "Defense group", "offense group" or "Special teams". You on the field are it, you play offense and defense contineously!! You not only have to be cardiovascularly fit but you also have to have upper body strengh, core muscle strength, lower body strengh in addition to amazing skill handling the ball. And to top that you have to be inteligent (soccer smarts), you have to make the right decisions on the field passing, shooting etc... There are 11 Point Guards on that field!

Anyone that doesn't think soccer is a "real" sport should get off the couch, put the remote down and try to play 1 half of soccer at a local pickup game and see how you feel.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Im glad to see the league expand some more. But I hope they dont expand too much and end up having to axe teams. I think Philadelphia will be a good choice. I was sad when Miami and Tampa bay had to fold. I hate when teams in any sport do that. I'd like to a team here in North Carolina soon but I would want their to be support before the league would give us the Ok.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
haha..haha... Very funny! You obviously have NEVER played soccer. I love Football and basketball, don't get me wrong, but to label them as "real" sports, but not soccer is obsurd considering it takes a "real" athlete to play soccer. You play contineously for two 45 minute halves with no "timeouts", TV timeouts etc.... There is no separate "Defense group", "offense group" or "Special teams". You on the field are it, you play offense and defense contineously!! You not only have to be cardiovascularly fit but you also have to have upper body strengh, core muscle strength, lower body strengh in addition to amazing skill handling the ball. And to top that you have to be inteligent (soccer smarts), you have to make the right decisions on the field passing, shooting etc... There are 11 Point Guards on that field!

Anyone that doesn't think soccer is a "real" sport should get off the couch, put the remote down and try to play 1 half of soccer at a local pickup game and see how you feel.
Hey X - if you would have read past the first sentence of my post, I said that they are athletes. I know I couldn't do what they do. They are in great shape. I am just saying, it takes alot more coordination to play those other sports than it does playing soccer.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:40 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
I am just saying, it takes alot more coordination to play those other sports than it does playing soccer.
There...you just proved my point again. You're saying as stated above "it takes alot more coordination to play those other sports".... That's where I disagree with you. How can you be a great athlete and not have coordination? Also, having played soccer my whole life including at collaged level, soccer requires a lot of coordination, maybe even more. Do you realize how much "coordination" is required to run fast with the ball at your feet dribbling through the defense while being tackled, bumped etc...for 90 minutes straight? Like I said earlier, you should go out and play 1 half of soccer at a local pick up game. Nothing personal, I'm just saying, soccer deserves a little more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer