Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 PM

255 posts, read 610,540 times

Advertisements

What the marbles? How in the world that Sumter is bigger than Florence? I hate to admit it but there is hope for Sumter after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto29556 View Post
What the marbles? How in the world that Sumter is bigger than Florence? I hate to admit it but there is hope for Sumter after all.
It's like how in the freakin world is Mt. Pleasant bigger than Greenville? WTF? South Carolina is one weird state. These annexation laws must have been drawn up by a drunk/high person.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 PM

255 posts, read 610,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's like how in the freakin world is Mt. Pleasant bigger than Greenville? WTF? South Carolina is one weird state. These annexation laws must have been drawn up by a drunk/high person.

I can't agree with ya more! I have never been to the upper west side of SC and I have heard from folks that I went to USC with described Greenville like a mini Atlanta. I know now that I should add Greenville as one of places that I need to visit maybe relocate someday.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM

257 posts, read 327,834 times
Quote:
I can't agree with ya more! I have never been to the upper west side of SC and I have heard from folks that I went to USC with described Greenville like a mini Atlanta.
Those must have been some sheltered individuals. That's a pretty big stretch--people call Charlotte a mini-Atlanta which is still a stretch (although less so)--but Greenville is still worth a visit.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:

City of Sumter is larger than the City of Florence. Florence County and Florence Metro is larger than Sumter County and Sumter Metro. Sumter's population tends to trend towards the City and the surrounding urbanized areas.. primarily because the bulk of Sumter County is rural and most of the infrastructure (water sewer) is in Sumter's urbanized area close in or in the City Limits. The County has less infrastructure and less populations centers. On the other hand Florence County, though also rural.. has well developed infrastructure around the City not to mention several other towns/cities that have their own utility systems.. so the population is more spread out and not as concentrated. Florence also suffers from "anti city" suburbs. If all of Florence's suburbs were in the City Limits.. it would be a different story.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post

The other thing to think about here is the suburban politics. I would bet a couple of things happened in Mt. Pleasant. 1) Much of the undeveloped land was annexed before development took place and/or was forced to be annexed in order to receive utilities from the City of Mt. Pleasant (I'm assuming they have a their own instead of relying on Charleston 2) Taxes in Mt. Pleasant are small so being in the City is not necessarily a bad thing particuliarly if services are provided. 3) Image... some may feel that they would rather be in Mt. Pleasant than it City of Charleston, North Charleston etc. Since all the Cities are annexing the unincorporated suburbs.. its only a matter of time before you may be forced into some municipality. Mt Pleasant, by its name alone, is probably the most attractive municipality to be annexed into by the folk on that side of the river...Even though it is a "city" by SC standards, I bet most resident like it or prefer it because if feels like a "resort town" and thus opt in. Charleston and North Charleston from both a political and demographic standpoint differ from Mt. Pleasant and that side of the Coastal Empire

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Does Mt. Pleasant have an urban downtown? If not then it's just a city on paper, a big suburban slab that incorporated.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Does Mt. Pleasant have an urban downtown? If not then it's just a city on paper, a big suburban slab that incorporated.

I could be wrong but I dont believe so or atleast not in the traditional sense. Like most new suburban cities.. I am sure its only a matter of time before they create a downtown in the form of a Town Center like 'downtown' NE Richland is the Village of the Sandhills

Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think natural attrition (old folks dying) is what caused the decline in those communities because they dont have much undeveloped land and are both practically surrounded by Columbia. I doubt they would EVER join up with Columbia, because Columbia was the reason why they became cities in the first place- keep Columbia out. The only way they would join Columbia would be if they went defunct and decided to dissolve..which is what happen to the now defunct City of Eau Claire. It dissolved for financial reasons and its City Hall is now a community meeting center and Police Station. As we know probably some of the higher incomes in the Richland County reside with these jurisdictions.. so that likely not to happen either....would be nice though
Actually, Eau Claire was annexed by Columbia in the early 50's. Forest Acres was incorporated in 1935 when it was a largely rural area.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Forest Acres can't even get an election going. Due to a lack of interest they're just keeping the same people in office. I just read this the other day - can't remember where - I think it was in The State. I guess they're happy with what they've got and don't think they can do any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina