Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM

119 posts, read 362,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymage View Post
Am I the only one a little depressed by the number of Northerners vs southerners threads? =(
I'm not quite sure why?! I just wan't a place still Southern! And thanks to the rest who have replied! I hear I should stay away from the rural towns along I-95 as it is called "The Corridor of Shame," how sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Try the wonderful "Southern" town of Beaufort. If my grandchildren werent here in Tennessee, I would move there right now. It has a Southern feel and great fishin!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 PM

119 posts, read 362,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Try the wonderful "Southern" town of Beaufort. If my grandchildren werent here in Tennessee, I would move there right now. It has a Southern feel and great fishin!
Thanks for the advice! I'm keeping a list of all these recommendations throughout the South to take a road trip this summer!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymage View Post
Am I the only one a little depressed by the number of Northerners vs southerners threads? =(
The funny thing about the lack of logic of these threads is that no one ever stops to think that the interstates go in both directions.....there are southern folk who have moved north....it does not bother us not one little bit. This is the difference between the southern way of thinking and the northern way of thinking.....northerners actually believe that having a bunch of different people with different backgrounds living together makes a city more interesting.

The other thing that gets me is this stupid MYTH that people are heading south because they love the south so much, PLEASE! They are moving there because it is cheap....just like the companies that decide to head south....simple as that. You are right these south vs. north threads are really sickening and most of the time are started by a southerner who is afraid that their way of life is in jeopardy.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,829,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
....most of the time are started by a southerner who is afraid that their way of life is in jeopardy.
There are many places in SC where a Southern lifestyle is no longer in jeopardy, but rather irretrievably lost. I can understand why that is of little significance to you, but for those of us who have lived on both sides, the change is not necessarily a positive or welcome one. In my neighborhood, approximately 70% +/- of the residents were originally from north of the MD line. It's fairly typical for this region. I challenge you to find anywhere in NY state where Southern-born residents make up anything close to 5-10% of the population. For you to draw an analogy between the cultural impact of the northern migration to SC and a perceived Southern migration to NY is utterly ludicrous.

You came down here for a short time, couldn't hack it and went home. That's fine, but ever since, you have whined and belittled the South. I cannot imagine why you think your experience made you an expert on the Southern psyche.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
The funny thing about the lack of logic of these threads is that no one ever stops to think that the interstates go in both directions.....there are southern folk who have moved north....it does not bother us not one little bit. This is the difference between the southern way of thinking and the northern way of thinking.....northerners actually believe that having a bunch of different people with different backgrounds living together makes a city more interesting.

The other thing that gets me is this stupid MYTH that people are heading south because they love the south so much, PLEASE! They are moving there because it is cheap....just like the companies that decide to head south....simple as that. You are right these south vs. north threads are really sickening and most of the time are started by a southerner who is afraid that their way of life is in jeopardy.
If people are moving south only because it's cheap, then isn't it likely that most of them would turn tail and run back home once they realize that a low COL is not enough to make a new place "home"? Personally, I can't honestly think of two places that would be more culturally different than NYC/New Jersey and Charleston or Savannah. So if you move somewhere thinking that it will be all moonlight and roses just because it's cheaper to live there than back where you really fit in culturally, wouldn't you discover that in pretty short order and realize that culture and fitting in are more important than how much your house payment is? Isn't it kind of short-sighted to move somewhere just because it's cheap or you don't have to shovel snow? Those things are temporal. It's our interaction with others whom we can identify with that makes life a rich experience. Also, why do so many people discount the emotional value of "home" when deciding to move halfway across the country just to save money or wear shorts in February? Most people have fairly strong emotional ties to the people and places of their childhood, and just the act of saving money each month will never fill that void.

It sounds like you hated the South, realized it, and moved back to where you were happy to begin with. Good for you. I bet that of a lot of the people who are posting the "I can't live here one more winter, tell me where the best school districts in Charleston are" type of threads here on C-D will probably be joining you in a couple of years once they realize that perception and reality are two different things.

Last edited by canudigit; 04-03-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
There are many places in SC where a Southern lifestyle is no longer in jeopardy, but rather irretrievably lost. I can understand why that is of little significance to you, but for those of us who have lived on both sides, the change is not necessarily a positive or welcome one. In my neighborhood, approximately 70% +/- of the residents were originally from north of the MD line. It's fairly typical for this region. I challenge you to find anywhere in NY state where Southern-born residents make up anything close to 5-10% of the population. For you to draw an analogy between the cultural impact of the northern migration to SC and a perceived Southern migration to NY is utterly ludicrous.

You came down here for a short time, couldn't hack it and went home. That's fine, but ever since, you have whined and belittled the South. I cannot imagine why you think your experience made you an expert on the Southern psyche.
+3 Excellent post! I often wonder if this person is actually whom he/she claims to be, based on his/her entire history of posts here. Such expression of "love" for his/her NYC "home," and yet virtually no accumulation of time spent discussing its many strengths and weaknesses in the correct forum. Add the frequency of conflicting and inaccurate information about SC, and the reasons for skepticism are obvious.

Having said this, it is clear that some people in this world believe they are experts on everything, every place, and everyone.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
Your perpetually expressed dislike of Southerners and their cultures leads me to assume that you would not want them invading your home in the North (if that is actually where you live). The Carolinas have done a fairly decent job of coping with the massive influx of immigration from Northern natives.

Quote:
...The other thing that gets me is this stupid MYTH that people are heading south because they love the south so much, PLEASE!
How would you argue against the FACT that my parents moved to South Carolina from the North long before it was "the thing to do," actually loved living here, and gradually adapted to the culture? Sure, they missed some parts of the North, but never enough to move back. How do you argue against the many other people who have said the same about their move to the South? (example: view the video at the top of this web page) I know you like to say "that doesn't count," but if you want everyone to take your posts seriously, then you should present a balanced perspective.

Quote:
They are moving there because it is cheap....just like the companies that decide to head south....simple as that.
Can this claim be verified? If not, then it is irrelevant.

Quote:
You are right these south vs. north threads are really sickening and most of the time are started by a southerner who is afraid that their way of life is in jeopardy.
Are you against the preservation of every unique culture?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

I can't rep you until I give out some more reps ... most excellent post PD.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM

255 posts, read 610,578 times
You should definately make a stop to Salters and Hemingway. In Salters there is the Cooper Country Store which is actually a country store. In Hemingway there is Scott's BBQ where you could pick yourself some great BBQ. Both places kept their southern appeal which I have the luxury of enjoying living in Williamsburg County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina