Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM

236 posts, read 901,083 times

Advertisements

I know I'm bouncing around several counties to look to buy, but just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered. I'm looking into Summerville, Irmo, Murrells INlet, Goose Creek, Little River, Elgin and Luoff.
My situation is looking to get out of Florida, tired of the low pay, no work, dishonesty of service workers, and lack of good medical care. Our doctors closed for the weekends and nights, does anyone else experience that??
I'm looking to move my Mother who is 83, my 2 daughters, 27 and 16, (and yes we are buying more than one house) and my 5 year old grandson, so obviously I want an area that is safe for them to all get around and where shopping and other errands are not too far! ANY thoughts or ANY help would be greatly appreicated!
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Summerville is definitely a good place to start. You might also want to check Mount Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley, as well. All are within 10 minutes to downtown Charleston and there is plenty of shopping/entertainment within driving distance.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
I also don't think you can wrong with Murrells Inlet. If you are looking into the service industry, there are many, many restaurants in MI all the way up into Myrtle Beach. Schools are good and you can still buy a decent house for about $200k in the Rte 707 area. I'm afraid the salaries are still going to be low, but I'm sure the cost of living will be lower in SC than Fla. I have been impressed with Waccamaw Medical Center and the affilliated doctors. However, I have not had any real medical problems since I've moved here.

If you need constant medical attention or are suffering from serious illness, you may want to consider the Cahrleston area.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:06 PM

236 posts, read 901,083 times
Thank you for you sugestions. no, no one needs advanced medical care, but just the thought of having my 83 year old Mom, and the thought of our doctors closed for the weekends and the only care you have is to go to the nearest ER just doesnt sit right with me. Back home, you could at least talk to a doctor after hours and need be, for a non emergency he would go to his office. Here, we pretty much feel like you are left on your own. Not every medical problem requires a ER on nites and weekends!
But anyhow...Do you know if there is a Catholic elementary school in the area? And shopping, is it nearby? My daughter works for a cell phone company and she can transfer, I work at home. So thats not a problem. Is this a very diverse ethnic area? How about a mall, any nearby??
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
In the Murrells Inlet/Pawleys Island area there are several family medical practices all affiliated to the Georgetown/Waccamaw Hospital Centers. They building a new hospital in Georgetown and adding another floor to the Waccamaw Hosp in anticipation of the increased population. I have found the doctors to be helpful & professional. They seem to want to work with most insurance carriers, too.

The only Catholic School I know of on the south strand is in Garden City, St Michael's. My neighbors drive their boys from Pawleys to that school each day & swear by it. I like the local schools and see the need to go private at the moment. There are three private schools in Pawleys, too. The PI Christian Academy, the Low Country Day School, and the Montessori School (broken link). From what others have said that they are all good, but just as good as the Waccamaw Public Schools. The kids from Murrells Inlet go to these schools as well. If you live at the north end of Murrells Inlet then you'd attend the Saint James school district in Horry County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina