Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times

Advertisements

Commercial real estate project Charleston SC

Drove through downtown today for the first time in a year or so. Another big project is under construction- Midtown Charleston. Its on the booming Upper King area. That area is bursting with new growth, hotels, bars, restaurants, condos. Outside of the historic district, downtown wont look the same in 5 years. Place is really growing rapidly.

The area of the upper peninsula which has long been known as the "ghetto" is growing into a really really cool "Midtown" for folks in their 20's-30's, and I lost count of how many new hotels are going up there. Anyone visiting should check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,960,316 times
any newer pictures about this project haven't been down town in awhile so my best bet are the year old images from Google earth

Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
You haven't driven downtown in a year? This topic might be more appropriate for the Charleston forum.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
any newer pictures about this project haven't been down town in awhile so my best bet are the year old images from Google earth
Its all just starting, the buildings are just concrete foundations now, but the crews our out today in the rain. So many new things that weren't there just a year or two ago.

Columbiadata, yes, I haven't been downtown in over a year. I know many, many Charleston area residents that go that long without going onto the peninsula. Mount P, North Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Goose Creek, James Island, Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Isle Beach, all are their own unique cities that surround the peninsula, and 526 circles around downtown.

Lots of people just don't go down there. So crowded with tourists, college kids and drunks.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
You haven't driven downtown in a year? This topic might be more appropriate for the Charleston forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Its all just starting, the buildings are just concrete foundations now, but the crews our out today in the rain. So many new things that weren't there just a year or two ago.

Columbiadata, yes, I haven't been downtown in over a year. I know many, many Charleston area residents that go that long without going onto the peninsula. Mount P, North Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Goose Creek, James Island, Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Isle Beach, all are their own unique cities that surround the peninsula, and 526 circles around downtown.

Lots of people just don't go down there. So crowded with tourists, college kids and drunks.
I hear that a lot from people that they don't go downtown often, but I just don't get it. It's too irresistible!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
Downtown is the only unique thing about Charleston. If I was not going to take advantage of it, then I'd move to any other coastal city (if tht was my thing), or any other city for that matter (if I was just into the typical suburban sprawl thing). A target is a target, and a massive parking lot is still a massive parking lot with or without the humid salty air.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Downtown is the only unique thing about Charleston. If I was not going to take advantage of it, then I'd move to any other coastal city (if tht was my thing), or any other city for that matter (if I was just into the typical suburban sprawl thing). A target is a target, and a massive parking lot is still a massive parking lot with or without the humid salty air.
I agree. When I'm there or when I 'street-view' the city on Google Maps, once I leave the historic area it loses its appeal to me. What amazes me is the high percentage of people who rave about the beach when they talk about Charleston but don't even mention the historic aspect of the place. You can get the beach anywhere along the coast. Also, while the marsh is pretty in and of itself for what it is, it sure makes for quite a trek from downtown Charleston to the suburbs.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Charleston is the complete package. The historic charm, the beach, the marshes, the rivers.....After having lived in and near some bigger metro areas, it is a nice experience to live in a town where anything over 20 minutes is considered a long commute

Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Agreed. Highway 17 is no different than Harbison Blvd in Columbia and Woodruff Road in Greenville.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Got to love the Coast though.. They have three reality shows... Myrtle Manor, Party Down South, and now the one in Charleston.. Southern Charm...or Kevin Spacey with his fake 'sout kahlinah' accent and charm in House of Cards...though thats not filmed in SC.

When are Columbia and Greenville going to get our own reality shows???? Maybe we can get one that focuses on College Life with drunk frat parties or troubled City Government for Columbia and Snake Handling or Southern Baptist Life for Greenville.... Relax Im Kidding....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina