Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times

Advertisements

This is in the NC Forum as well but since over 300k SC residents (and growing) are part of the Carolina's largest metro, I thought it would be good to post here as well.

Austin or Bust: America's Biggest Cities Lose People to the Urban B-List - Businessweek

Charlotte ranked by 'Fortune' as one of fastest growing tech job cities in US - Time Warner Cable News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,411,363 times
Wow. Glad to see you are FINALLY actually posting in the forum for the state you live in haha!

The DIG-South tech festival was held here in Charleston last week, to celebrate Charleston's emerging tech industry growth. And, the 3 fastest growing areas on the East Coast were recently listed as Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Charleston. I think they posted it on here somewhere.

Enjoy!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Wow. Glad to see you are FINALLY actually posting in the forum for the state you live in haha!

The DIG-South tech festival was held here in Charleston last week, to celebrate Charleston's emerging tech industry growth. And, the 3 fastest growing areas on the East Coast were recently listed as Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Charleston. I think they posted it on here somewhere.

Enjoy!
CD.....don't start another trash talking thread, it gets old. I posted this because Charlotte is and has been one of the nations's fastest growing cities and is one of the leading cities today and into the future which affects SC. As for tech, Charlotte is certainly not on the level of Austin or Raleigh but, with a few exceptions, it does very well. With 10k apartments under construction, at least 6 new highrises in various stages of development downtown, 3 at Southpark and a couple in Ballantyne, the metro is poised to build on strong growth in all industry sectors.

The state of SC should take more advantage of Charlotte's national reputation as a business center with clusters in energy, finance, transports, and yes, tech. If so, maybe projects like LPL's consolidated offices will locate in SC's second fastest growing county of York.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
CD.....don't start another trash talking thread, it gets old. I posted this because Charlotte is and has been one of the nations's fastest growing cities and is one of the leading cities today and into the future which affects SC. As for tech, Charlotte is certainly not on the level of Austin or Raleigh but, with a few exceptions, it does very well. With 10k apartments under construction, at least 6 new highrises in various stages of development downtown, 3 at Southpark and a couple in Ballantyne, the metro is poised to build on strong growth in all industry sectors.

The state of SC should take more advantage of Charlotte's national reputation as a business center with clusters in energy, finance, transports, and yes, tech. If so, maybe projects like LPL's consolidated offices will locate in SC's second fastest growing county of York.
I think it already does with lower taxes and generous incentive packages which is why tons of companies have jumped the state line in recent years. Whether or not that's the best strategy going forward is another discussion however.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it already does with lower taxes and generous incentive packages which is why tons of companies have jumped the state line in recent years. Whether or not that's the best strategy going forward is another discussion however.
SC has attracted some companies within the metro but I think it can and should do more, that is only a short term strategy. LPL is a good example of a company looking to move within the metro and the 10-15 story highrise would look nice in Fort Mill. However, the state should Utilize Charlotte's strengths as a better selling point to companies outside the metro. I think the state is very focused politically on Charleston and Greenville. Both are nice places but have nowhere near the depth of what SC can offer a company being in the Charlotte metro. For instance, Charleston's population growth is skewed towards the 50+ crowd looking at retirement and while Greenville's educational levels are rising, they are still very low especially if you throw in Spartanburg. In spite of this, the state pitches these cities first to Relocating companies who want a strong and deep workforce. I think the state is missing opportunities to capture some good relocations that are headed to other parts of the south as a result of SC politics. The good news is that York County is outgrowing everyone except Horry.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
SC has attracted some companies within the metro but I think it can and should do more, that is only a short term strategy. LPL is a good example of a company looking to move within the metro and the 10-15 story highrise would look nice in Fort Mill. However, the state should Utilize Charlotte's strengths as a better selling point to companies outside the metro. I think the state is very focused politically on Charleston and Greenville. Both are nice places but have nowhere near the depth of what SC can offer a company being in the Charlotte metro. For instance, Charleston's population growth is skewed towards the 50+ crowd looking at retirement and while Greenville's educational levels are rising, they are still very low especially if you throw in Spartanburg. In spite of this, the state pitches these cities first to Relocating companies who want a strong and deep workforce. I think the state is missing opportunities to capture some good relocations that are headed to other parts of the south as a result of SC politics. The good news is that York County is outgrowing everyone except Horry.
The reason it doesn't is due to the fact that the state is mainly focused on luring large manufacturers to the state to spur economic development and York and Lancaster counties aren't really suited for that sort of industry. This is why the Upstate and Charleston are often at the forefront when it comes to large eco-devo projects.

When it comes to luring more white-collar industries to the state, I'd rather see the state focus on SC's central cities first so those companies can not only provide high-wage jobs, but also potentially contribute to urban development. Suburbs obviously aren't going anywhere, but there's been a significant back-to-the-core movement in place not only for people but for jobs also.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
I disagree that we should throw all bones at York just because it's close to Charlotte which is in NC. Even if York is growing the 2nd fastest percentage wise we can't neglect the counties that already have a higher population than York. Most of tax base and revenue still comes from Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,811 times
I understand the tax benefit for SC, but I'm not sure why we should support the Atlanta-sized sprawl mistake that Charlotte is on the course of and try to further encourage that.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The reason it doesn't is due to the fact that the state is mainly focused on luring large manufacturers to the state to spur economic development and York and Lancaster counties aren't really suited for that sort of industry. This is why the Upstate and Charleston are often at the forefront when it comes to large eco-devo projects.

When it comes to luring more white-collar industries to the state, I'd rather see the state focus on SC's central cities first so those companies can not only provide high-wage jobs, but also potentially contribute to urban development. Suburbs obviously aren't going anywhere, but there's been a significant back-to-the-core movement in place not only for people but for jobs also.
I would hope that as a state, recruiters look to the area that will best fit the needs of the company and therefore be a likely site for the company. I get filling in the urban areas and that will continue. But, the state's effort in the Charlotte counties is almost nonexistent with regards to new companies. Because Charlotte has strong metrics on all levels for a company in addition to a top 10 airport, I think the state is missing opportunities.

If you look out 20 years, these counties will be larger players in the state as I see York similar to Gwinnett. Of course, Greenville will still be the largest SC based metro in 20 years and based on the Atlantic, Columbia and Charleston will fill out 2 and 3 but the Charlotte counties are a good resource for the state.

And, I would argue that these counties would be a great pick for large advanced manufacturing projects. The area has a better manufacturing based workforce than Charleston who has Boeing, it is close to rail (the intermodal terminal at Charlotte Douglas), and close to the airport with 3 parallel runways(soon to be 4).

We can look at it 100 ways but I see this area as an opportunity for the state to go after companies that otherwise would not be interested in SC.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I understand the tax benefit for SC, but I'm not sure why we should support the Atlanta-sized sprawl mistake that Charlotte is on the course of and try to further encourage that.
Atlanta sprawl mistake? Charlotte has 1m residents in a county with less land than Greenville or Charleston counties. Remember, Charlotte is the first city in the Carolina's to institute light rail and transit based projects. None of the SC based metros offer an alternative that represents urban density on a large scale. So, selling a company on downtown Greenville who does not have the ability to support an operation like an LPL type project makes no sense. If you are a company looking to have a deep workforce and other amenities, selling the sprawl argument is silly, especially when you drive around places like Greenville and Charleston....pot calling the kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina