Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Looks like Greenwood to BMW is 65 miles or so and 1 hour and 15 minute commute. He must really like Greenwood.

You probably right it has more connection to Greenville but I don't see it as the upstate. I don't think there are a ton of commuters from Greenwood given it is 1 hour plus, and while some might come shopping in Greenville, it probaby isn't much higher percentage than people in Greenville who go to Charlotte or Atlanta to shop.

I view 418 as the southern boundary of the Greenville metro.
We definitely traveled to Greenville more than the others mentioned. My family and friends down there still do. We considered ourselves upstate sc my whole life. I can get from my home in Simpsonville to my dad's home in Greenwood in less than 50 minutes. Greenwood isn't metro Greenville, but is upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 07:44 AM

You have to fully cross 2 counties to reach Columbia. Over an hour drive. To get to Greenville traveling highway 25 you cross through only the tip of Laurens county. It's all 4 lane too. Not a bad drive.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 AM

Don't confuse CSA or region with metro(MSA). They are different.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post

You have to fully cross 2 counties to reach Columbia. Over an hour drive. To get to Greenville traveling highway 25 you cross through only the tip of Laurens county. It's all 4 lane too. Not a bad drive.
That map isn't quite accurate, but Greenwood is generally considered Upstate.

I think this map is a little better, with Piedmont being roughly equivalent to the Upstate as it is generally perceived:

Old 02-06-2016, 10:45 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:

i don't think you have to include Greenwood in any of the CSAs though. I can't see that many commuters given it would be minimum 2 hour round trip commute every day to Greenville.

I would say Greewood is part of the Old 96 District metro.

South Carolina's Old 96 District - Off the beaten path and out of the ordinary was formed to promote tourism in five of the counties that were formed from the original district - Abbeville, Edgefield, Greenwood, Laurens, and McCormick.

In my opinion, for a county to be considered the Upstate, you have to be able to glimpse the mountains from at least 1 location in the county.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i don't think you have to include Greenwood in any of the CSAs though. I can't see that many commuters given it would be minimum 2 hour round trip commute every day to Greenville.

I would say Greewood is part of the Old 96 District metro.

South Carolina's Old 96 District - Off the beaten path and out of the ordinary was formed to promote tourism in five of the counties that were formed from the original district - Abbeville, Edgefield, Greenwood, Laurens, and McCormick.

In my opinion, for a county to be considered the Upstate, you have to be able to glimpse the mountains from at least 1 location in the county.
There is no Old District 96 metro, and Laurens is in Greenville msa. Edgefield is in Augusta msa. Greenwood, McCormick, and Abbeville aren't included in any msa, but they are in the Greenville csa based on the guidelines set. CSA and metro are 2 different things. Again, don't confuse the 2. The designations for msa, csa, etc has already been set by the Census Bureau. Has nothing to do with our opinion. It is what it is based on those guidelines.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
I understand that, i'm only talking about how i would classify it.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That map isn't quite accurate, but Greenwood is generally considered Upstate.

I think this map is a little better, with Piedmont being roughly equivalent to the Upstate as it is generally perceived:
I agree. Growing up in Greenwood we always considered ourselves to be in the upstate.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I understand that, i'm only talking about how i would classify it.
I understand that. If you grew up in Greenwood as I did, you would see we definitely leaned on Greenville more. It's not as far as you think.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:50 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
I understand that. If you grew up in Greenwood as I did, you would see we definitely leaned on Greenville more. It's not as far as you think.
There are so many different definitions for SC's regions. You can find 10 different definitions on what the Upstate Region is depending on who you ask. I would probably consider Greenwood in the Upstate because I am from Columbia and everything to me north of Newberry was Upstate, just like everything south of Oburg is Low Country, etc.

It is most certainly on the fringe of the Upstate though. I also would never consider it part of the Greenville area nor would I ever describe Greenwood as being "near Greenville." This is what I am saying about the Upstate, it is a massive massive area, but its not because of sprwal, its because of continuous strings of mid to small cities that are close to one another.

While Greenville may be the largest city in the region, the region really does not revolve around Greenville, its very much a collective group of cities that together form the Upstate and Greenwood is a great example...its part of the Upstate and is a decent size city that does not at all depend on Greenville to survive. IMO with the exception of Greenville itself, Simpsonville, Mauldin, and Powdersville, the Upstate really is not dependent on Greenville. Now Greenville has certainly helped the region, but if Greenville didnt exist, Spartanburg, Anderson, Greenwood, Clemson, all these cities would still be here and probably not totally different than how they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina