Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 08:37 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times

Advertisements

I was just commenting in another thread about Camden vs Sumter.. The posters were favoring Camden which is interesting because I would have thought that outside of a small town feel or proximity to Columbia. Even outside of the thread I have heard more favorable things about Camden than Sumter. Sumter would seem to have more amenities, larger city and thus be viewed as more favorable than Camden.> BUT seems like that is not the case.. At any rate.. Sumter doesn't seem THAT much further from Columbia.. if you looking at going downtown Columbia.. but I guess the Interstate makes the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was just commenting in another thread about Camden vs Sumter.. The posters were favoring Camden which is interesting because I would have thought that outside of a small town feel or proximity to Columbia. Even outside of the thread I have heard more favorable things about Camden than Sumter. Sumter would seem to have more amenities, larger city and thus be viewed as more favorable than Camden.> BUT seems like that is not the case.. At any rate.. Sumter doesn't seem THAT much further from Columbia.. if you looking at going downtown Columbia.. but I guess the Interstate makes the difference.
Much, much closer. Dining and shopping are really close with Sandhills being only 15 minutes away. Downtown is only 30. I drive it every day. I live in Sumter and work in Columbia. I drive through Camden every day on my way.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Much, much closer. Dining and shopping are really close with Sandhills being only 15 minutes away. Downtown is only 30. I drive it every day. I live in Sumter and work in Columbia. I drive through Camden every day on my way.

Ahh.. yes very true. The Camden to Columbia commute is becoming as common as the Sumter to Columbia commute.. I take it that driving via Camden to downtown Columbia must be easier than slogging up Garners Ferry Road and 378?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times
Quote:
Ahh.. yes very true. The Camden to Columbia commute is becoming as common as the Sumter to Columbia commute.. I take it that driving via Camden to downtown Columbia must be easier than slogging up Garners Ferry Road and 378?
Yes. Garners Ferry is a nightmare from Lower Richland on. 521 to I-20 to 277 is the easiest route. From my house downtown, it’s 6 miles longer but I save on average over 10 minutes each way. Not to mention my lowered blood pressure.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:02 PM

217 posts, read 240,663 times
Quote:
Home Depot was scheduled to break ground on the lot where Cardinal Tire stands abandoned before the last recession. Once the recession hit, plans were scrapped and then once the economy began to improve they slowed their expansion.
Not only that but there was a large shopping center planned for the corner of 521 and Alice drive around this time but again the recession stopped that as well.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 PM

217 posts, read 240,663 times
Quote:
Yes. Garners Ferry is a nightmare from Lower Richland on. 521 to I-20 to 277 is the easiest route. From my house downtown, it’s 6 miles longer but I save on average over 10 minutes each way. Not to mention my lowered blood pressure.
Hopefully the future shop Rd extension will help with some of that traffic as it is suppose to intersect with Garner's ferry in the lower Richland area

Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
I know plenty people that would favor Sumter including myself. I have people from Camden at my work place, and I know several who have moved to Sumter from Camden. Camden only advantage is it's closeness to Columbia in my opinion. I never ever go there for anything, just don't like the feel of the place. I was there a few months ago to visit a former pastor in the hospital, and felt like I went through a time warp.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I hear ya. Part of what I hate about 378 is that people driving on it either treat it as a freeway or a country road. The two driving styles play out in the number of wrecks along it especially when people have to slow down in the fast lane in order to get in one of those median turn lanes....rear end collisions all day

Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 AM

The City is building a new office for the Utility Services Department on the corner of S. Main and E. Bartlette Street.. Has anyone seen the design for what it will look like? Just curious?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
The City is building a new office for the Utility Services Department on the corner of S. Main and E. Bartlette Street.. Has anyone seen the design for what it will look like? Just curious?
No, haven't seen anything. I would imagine it will blend in with the transportation center though. If, I run across something, I will post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina