Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Looks like only two floors.

Yeah... I wouldn't think there isnt demand for much more than that at this point given all the on street and surface parking. I think it is mainly to serve the hotel and overflow for Opera House events. If demand increases.. they can build a second garage behind the Opera House since that lot is city owned as well. Incidentally, I wonder how well parked the Tuomey Garages are.. I would have sought out an arrangement with them before building a public garage if they are under parked.. but knowing Tuomey .. they would charge (not sure if they do now or not) or were not interested in general parking not associated with the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Sumter Mall

How are things in Sumter Mall? I haven't nor had the need to set foot in there in years... I am just curious on how they are making out.. especially as Magnolia Mall in Florence appears to be making significant gains with international tenants.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:34 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah... I wouldn't think there isnt demand for much more than that at this point given all the on street and surface parking. I think it is mainly to serve the hotel and overflow for Opera House events. If demand increases.. they can build a second garage behind the Opera House since that lot is city owned as well. Incidentally, I wonder how well parked the Tuomey Garages are.. I would have sought out an arrangement with them before building a public garage if they are under parked.. but knowing Tuomey .. they would charge (not sure if they do now or not) or were not interested in general parking not associated with the hospital.
The garages are pretty well used, I have often had to park on the 3rd and 4th deck when visiting people in the hospital. Constructions and road work in that area have forced people to use them even more lately, so they are pretty busy places.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
How are things in Sumter Mall? I haven't nor had the need to set foot in there in years... I am just curious on how they are making out.. especially as Magnolia Mall in Florence appears to be making significant gains with international tenants.
I don't use it at all except, to occasionally go to that Chinese restaurant there, and it's located pretty much as soon as you walk in. I would guess they are holding their own, I mean it's still open, and they have done some renovations in recent years. They still have some major retailers there.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Cool Drone Video of Downtown Construction

http://6fb9a3911aa5c02bb363-5037f8c8...ter-120221.mp4

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Quote:
Cool video, but it only shows two buildings over and over.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Cool video, but it only shows two buildings over and over.
yeah.. I suspect whoever did it wanted to show these two developments likely because they are the two largest going on right now.. Hotel/Parking Garage and I believe the Economic Development Board Offices(?) -Liberty at Main.

I know the City is supposed to be building their new Water Department on S. Main at Bartlette on the site of the Community Bank.. But I don't know if they plan to tear those buildings down or simply reuse it/them.

One thing that was a little disappointing was that there was/is no retail space along Hampton Ave section of the garage.. I have seen where cities have added retail space in the base of garages (City of Columbia did this in the Cannon Garage on the corner of Sumter and Taylor Streets https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-81.0348129

Even if the City didn't want to build a spec building for retail (though note they do build spec buildings for industrial.. the one up Airport Road may still be vacant.) They could have left some frontage along that section of Hampton Ave so that a building could be built later in between the garage and the Hampton Ave frontage.. That would have extended the downtown "shopping district" a little further by leveraging the existing successful restaurants stores and the proximity to Tuomey and Thompson. In fact they could have built ground floor retail with apartments above with a brick façade to complement the surrounding buildings.... Apartments at that location would certainly be attractive.. And you have parking in the garage behind...

Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 PM

308 posts, read 469,785 times
I wish they would do the same type video for Florence. That would be interesting as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Wow, nice find Woodlands. Cool video, Sumter looks great from the air.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM

Construction of the new Walmart on pinewood road is in full swing now. It will probably be ready for business by the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina