Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times

Advertisements

It could be logical for Publix to locate along Broad Street eastbound. If many customers are traveling that direction after leaving work in the evenings, they can access Publix along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,650,170 times
They started tearing down the Piggy Wiggly on Pinewood road recently. It shouldn't be long before that lot is cleared off and ready for construction to start.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Default Downtown Housing

I am curious on if the housing market downtown Sumter will take off? You have areas like Hampton Park that are solid and proven.. but what about West Liberty Street aka Westside Sumter near the Birnie Hope Center and before Guignard? Some nice old homes in there and is within easy walking distance of downtown. Anne Park is another that seems stable but could certainly become more viable.

Another opportunity would be for the City to work with developers to put larger developments with mixed incomes single family homes back in the older parts of the City. The horseshoe cul de sacs on Miller Rd come to mind along with assembling some of the vacant lots in the rapidly depopulating South Sumter or even larger intown lots near the Birnie Hope Center or Lafayette @ Loring could prove promising....Maybe it will take off once downtown sees more residential development above stores or if a market rate housing development is built somewhere in the vicinity of Main Street. Florence is already having some success with downtown housing....

Old 07-07-2017, 04:18 PM

143 posts, read 179,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I am curious on if the housing market downtown Sumter will take off? You have areas like Hampton Park that are solid and proven.. but what about West Liberty Street aka Westside Sumter near the Birnie Hope Center and before Guignard? Some nice old homes in there and is within easy walking distance of downtown. Anne Park is another that seems stable but could certainly become more viable.

Another opportunity would be for the City to work with developers to put larger developments with mixed incomes single family homes back in the older parts of the City. The horseshoe cul de sacs on Miller Rd come to mind along with assembling some of the vacant lots in the rapidly depopulating South Sumter or even larger intown lots near the Birnie Hope Center or Lafayette @ Loring could prove promising....Maybe it will take off once downtown sees more residential development above stores or if a market rate housing development is built somewhere in the vicinity of Main Street. Florence is already having some success with downtown housing....
Currently there just doesn't seem to be the momentum for that kind of development unfortunately. I saw on this website in another forum that Sumter area will LOSE population in the next couple of decades(???) but I take that with a grain of salt. I agree about Anne Park, it seems to be holding its own for the moment and I hope it doesn't go downhill. Development around the Birnie Hope Center seems to be a long shot though. That area just seems too rough. I think the city's next direction will be more N Main development.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 PM

I agree about Birnie Hope Center area. I don't see anything going down there anytime soon, and the railroad tracks doesn't help either. I don't know if you ever been caught by the trains in that area, but traffic can be backed up pretty bad. Recently I was at the top of the bridge backed up in traffic, the train just sits there for a long while before it gets going again. I believe HWY 15 south from the Markette down to Lewis road have potentials.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:30 AM

217 posts, read 239,889 times
I see that construction of the new REMAX location on broad St near stamey livestock Rd has started. And the building on Pike Rd @ wesmark is still a mystery.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Currently there just doesn't seem to be the momentum for that kind of development unfortunately. I saw on this website in another forum that Sumter area will LOSE population in the next couple of decades(???) but I take that with a grain of salt. I agree about Anne Park, it seems to be holding its own for the moment and I hope it doesn't go downhill. Development around the Birnie Hope Center seems to be a long shot though. That area just seems too rough. I think the city's next direction will be more N Main development.

North Main does have potential especially around Morris College.. There was/is an apartment building with ground floor retail proposed in that location.. Not sure if it was approved by the City Council or not. There are a few derelict commercial properties on North Main and of course the Downtown Motel which could also be redeveloped..Both could lend themselves to multi family apartments complexes in a more urban format than what we have seen developed along the 378 bypass which is more suburban... Sumter should consider some type of incentive program to encourage development along North Main since it is more likely than South Main (South Sumter) to redevelop and piggy back on the success of Downtown Sumter... Morris, Riley Park and access to the bypass helps along with being near stable areas like Crosswell and Anne Park.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
I see that construction of the new REMAX location on broad St near stamey livestock Rd has started. And the building on Pike Rd @ wesmark is still a mystery.
I think that building there is just and extension of that little plaza there. I'm only speculating, but if it was something separate, seems like a sign would have been up already. Perhaps a satellite campus extension, they have or had one there, or could be space to rent for whatever business. Just guessing on my part though.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Downtown Parking Garage is nearing completion .....i hope that encourage s more folks to frequent downtown

Old 07-18-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Downtown Parking Garage is nearing completion .....i hope that encourage s more folks to frequent downtown
Looks like only two floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina