Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 02:12 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The 'Sumter County Aquatics Center' ... Is this the facility that is on Lafayette Blvd next to the South Sumter HOPE Center? I ask because the "City of Sumter" has an aquatics center there.. but I wasn't aware if/that Sumter County had an aquatics center somewhere in the County as well.....
You are correct about that, it is the city Aquatic Center and it is right next to the South Hope Center. They have a few large events there during the summer season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You are correct about that, it is the city Aquatic Center and it is right next to the South Hope Center. They have a few large events there during the summer season.

OK.. got it.. I remember when that was built.. there were questions surrounding if people from around the County would go there to use it because it was in South Sumter.. I am glad that the facility proved the critics wrong....

Old 10-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
OK.. got it.. I remember when that was built.. there were questions surrounding if people from around the County would go there to use it because it was in South Sumter.. I am glad that the facility proved the critics wrong....
More people from outside of that area, use it way more than anyone form that neighborhood. It's a popular place during the summer months, and always have good crowds.

http://www.sumtersc.gov/Data/Sites/1...3swimteam1.jpg

http://www.sumtersc.gov/Data/Sites/1...lykids/sl4.jpg

Last edited by ipaper; 10-03-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
More people from outside of that area, use it way more than anyone form that neighborhood. It's a popular place during the summer months, and always have good crowds.

www.sumtersc.gov/Data/Sites/1/media/departments/recreation/aquatics-center/s-2013swimteam1.jpg

www.sumtersc.gov/Data/Sites/1/media/departments/familykids/sl4.jpg

Glad to see its being used.. One of the sites that was being considered when it was being planned was the South Sumter Gym.. because that property was already owned by the City though run by County Rec. People thought that it would not appeal to the City/County as a whole given the reputation of that area.. but residents on the southside wanted something on that side of town that would serve the area but also bring people into the community. There was some grousing about the proposed tennis center being kicked around on the "westside" and nothing in the south. The current location was a compromise since the City already had the South HOPE Center there.. there was additional space.. and it was on a busy road which helped with accessibility. I haven't been back down there in a while.. but I am glad to see that it is being widely utilized.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Glad to see its being used.. One of the sites that was being considered when it was being planned was the South Sumter Gym.. because that property was already owned by the City though run by County Rec. People thought that it would not appeal to the City/County as a whole given the reputation of that area.. but residents on the southside wanted something on that side of town that would serve the area but also bring people into the community. There was some grousing about the proposed tennis center being kicked around on the "westside" and nothing in the south. The current location was a compromise since the City already had the South HOPE Center there.. there was additional space.. and it was on a busy road which helped with accessibility. I haven't been back down there in a while.. but I am glad to see that it is being widely utilized.
I doubt if that building is even open now, and that would have been a bad location. Current location is facing a major street running through town, and I believe that helps a lot.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I doubt if that building is even open now, and that would have been a bad location. Current location is facing a major street running through town, and I believe that helps a lot.

I believe it is being subleased to the Boys and Girls Club.. but not a Rec Center any more because of the South Hope Center and the Birnie Hope Center have taken its place. The location makes it somewhat unappealing since the way it is situated.. it appears to serve the public housing project that surrounds it instead of the broader community. Those units should be torn down and a mixture of new affordable multifamily housing built along with some single family homes. That would improve the image of the area and maybe even bring new residents into the community and into the Boys and Girls Club. They are doing this in Columbia.. Several public housing complexes have come down and replaced with new mixed income housing that is doing well.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I believe it is being subleased to the Boys and Girls Club.. but not a Rec Center any more because of the South Hope Center and the Birnie Hope Center have taken its place. The location makes it somewhat unappealing since the way it is situated.. it appears to serve the public housing project that surrounds it instead of the broader community. Those units should be torn down and a mixture of new affordable multifamily housing built along with some single family homes. That would improve the image of the area and maybe even bring new residents into the community and into the Boys and Girls Club. They are doing this in Columbia.. Several public housing complexes have come down and replaced with new mixed income housing that is doing well.
I agree but, remember this is Sumter we are talking. Things are very slow to change around here.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I agree but, remember this is Sumter we are talking. Things are very slow to change around here.

This is true...There was a Sumter vs Florence thread on this board and there are some similarities but some stark contrast between the two cities and their approach to development/planning/politics. I have said before.. it appears that Sumter is more comfortable being a "leader" among places like Orangeburg, Camden, Manning, and Bishopville.. while places like Florence are attempting to rival their peer group such as Rock Hill, Spartanburg, and Aiken when clearly Sumter is/should be in this category. A friend of mine, who had since moved described it at the "Lord of the Flies"...not in terms of the book.. but simply how the city views itself among the peer group listed...or in other words. "we sux.....but atleast we are better than ...Manning"".

Old 10-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
This is true...There was a Sumter vs Florence thread on this board and there are some similarities but some stark contrast between the two cities and their approach to development/planning/politics. I have said before.. it appears that Sumter is more comfortable being a "leader" among places like Orangeburg, Camden, Manning, and Bishopville.. while places like Florence are attempting to rival their peer group such as Rock Hill, Spartanburg, and Aiken when clearly Sumter is/should be in this category. A friend of mine, who had since moved described it at the "Lord of the Flies"...not in terms of the book.. but simply how the city views itself among the peer group listed...or in other words. "we sux.....but atleast we are better than ...Manning"".
You can compare Sumter population to all the cities you mention here, and this is just population of the city and not the county.

Sumter pop: 40,723
Bishopville pop: 3,238
Manning pop: 4,042
Camden pop: 7,126
Orangeburg pop: 13,196

Then the second group you listed.

Rock Hill pop: 72,937
Florence pop: 38,317
Spartanburg pop: 37,013
Aiken pop: 30,937

These are data I found from 2016 population figures. To me, Sumter have always had that mentality of a much smaller place than what it actually is . I agree that it seems to compete with much smaller towns, and I just can't figure that one out. But those larger towns in that second group, have the advantage of much larger county wide population base, interstate highways running through them or very near by. I was in Camden yesterday, and I felt like I was in another state all together, I just had this strange weird feeling, couldn't wait to get out of there. It felt really really small, I felt so out of place there.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You can compare Sumter population to all the cities you mention here, and this is just population of the city and not the county.

Sumter pop: 40,723
Bishopville pop: 3,238
Manning pop: 4,042
Camden pop: 7,126
Orangeburg pop: 13,196

Then the second group you listed.

Rock Hill pop: 72,937
Florence pop: 38,317
Spartanburg pop: 37,013
Aiken pop: 30,937

These are data I found from 2016 population figures. To me, Sumter have always had that mentality of a much smaller place than what it actually is . I agree that it seems to compete with much smaller towns, and I just can't figure that one out. But those larger towns in that second group, have the advantage of much larger county wide population base, interstate highways running through them or very near by. I was in Camden yesterday, and I felt like I was in another state all together, I just had this strange weird feeling, couldn't wait to get out of there. It felt really really small, I felt so out of place there.

Wow.. I have not been tracking Rock Hill.. Didn't realize that they were in the 70k range.. That is HUGE by SC standards..To your point.. I think its about ego.. Sumter (politicos and chamber of commerce business leaders and the like) know that it is the "big fish" in the little pond when compared to those other cities (towns) that you listed. I have met people from Bishopville and Manning.. that walk through Sumter as if they are strolling through Times Square in NYC marveling at the sights..(ok I am exaggerating a little) but you get my point.. I don't think anyone from Florence, Rock Hill et al would do the same so to speak.. So, I think Sumter is comfortable in this group/class of cities... People often move from these towns or cities to Sumter.. while people from Sumter often move away all together to other major cities in the state and beyond...

True story.. I was sitting in a meeting and there was a discussion about height downtown when Tuomey was building its new parking garage..People were worried about the "alley" that it would create behind the buildings on main st and that it was too tall. " We don't want to be NYC!!!" said some denizen. I found that when somebody in Sumter didn't want something to happen.. comparing it to NYC would be the icing on the cake and send shivers of fear down people's spines....Even I nod to Columbia would wrinkle noses.. but NYC was the devil himself (or herself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina