Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I personally know at least a dozen people, from my street to my job, who have moved to Sumter in recent years. I guess they didn't make the count. Sumter have a history of being under counted, and many years ago, I believe the city did challenge the census bureau. Like you said, with all the new apartment building, and single family homes going up, and traffic seems to be getting worst all the time around here, especially in some parts of the city.

But, on the other hand, nothing is really here to make many people want to stick around, especially the younger people. They are going to move to Columbia, Charlotte, Atlanta, cities in Florida, or wherever their career path takes them. So much to do, and so much amenities in big cities and metro areas, Sumter is boring to a lot of people, I hear that all the time. I personally have many young family members who have move to Charleston, Columbia, Charlotte for better jobs and just things to do.

And again Sumter in dead smack in the middle of small rural farming counties, and large swaths of rural areas here in Sumter county as well. Lots of work to do to attract people in order to spark growth. People can see a small snapshot of Sumter and Sumter county and decide this is not the place for them. But, good jobs to keep people here, and to attract new people will go a long ways in sparking growth.

Well that's good to hear that people are moving in.. I have always wondered if it was true growth or just like a sack of potatoes.. just moving from one side of the bag to the other.. but still the same old sack of potatoes....

You are right though.. Its hard for Sumter to compete with the big three in SC.. Even the next tier Cities like Spartanburg, Rock Hill, and Florence it may be a little hard to stack up against them as well. That leaves the likes of Anderson and Greenwood. Anderson likely benefits being associated with the Greenville metro... and to some extent so does Greenwood.. Sumter is in its own metro.. but gets no real benefit from being close to Columbia other than the access to CAE.. .in fact its probably more of a negative being so close, but not close enough to have a similar relationship as Greenville Spartanburg. I wonder if USC Sumter became a true four year university with housing etc if that would make a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Well that's good to hear that people are moving in.. I have always wondered if it was true growth or just like a sack of potatoes.. just moving from one side of the bag to the other.. but still the same old sack of potatoes....

You are right though.. Its hard for Sumter to compete with the big three in SC.. Even the next tier Cities like Spartanburg, Rock Hill, and Florence it may be a little hard to stack up against them as well. That leaves the likes of Anderson and Greenwood. Anderson likely benefits being associated with the Greenville metro... and to some extent so does Greenwood.. Sumter is in its own metro.. but gets no real benefit from being close to Columbia other than the access to CAE.. .in fact its probably more of a negative being so close, but not close enough to have a similar relationship as Greenville Spartanburg. I wonder if USC Sumter became a true four year university with housing etc if that would make a difference?
Perhaps a very small difference, with no major impact. Major General Zobrist of Shaw Air Force Base, will retire in Sumter, so that's another one sticking around. He had some nice things to say about Sumter.

https://www.theitem.com/stories/maj-...in-june,328116

Old 06-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Perhaps a very small difference, with no major impact. Major General Zobrist of Shaw Air Force Base, will retire in Sumter, so that's another one sticking around. He had some nice things to say about Sumter.

https://www.theitem.com/stories/maj-...in-june,328116

That's good.. The challenge I see for many in Sumter is that many people (that I know) if they lost their job or wanted a new one.. would have to leave Sumter. I know that it depends on the sector that you are in.. but not being able to move around from one employer to another without leaving town stunts personal growth not to mention the City's growth.. I am not talking about someone who is a rocket scientist who loses the only rocket scientist job in Sumter and thus has to move.. but some places in the financial/insurance sector...leaving mainly retail/ service, manufacturing, and hospitality as the main sources. Certainly these jobs/skill sets are transferable from one to another but not always nor at the same salary.. Medical and Military are certainly major but also may require a move either by transfer or for a promotion given there is only one hospital and military installation in town. I know some people commute to Columbia and Florence as well for work... but they are usually grounded in Sumter because of family or spouses job.. otherwise may opt to move to either of these cities...

Sumter.. is a retirees dream city....generally inexpensive, has or is close to most of the basic things one would need, want or want to travel too, and is very stable, conservative, predictable.. There wont be a major tax increase on the city, county or state level, crime is very generally concentrated in certain areas you can almost predict the crime stories in the paper and most are domestic or drug related and not home invasions or mass shootings (knock on wood).. politics is very ho hum(wont raise your blood pressure most of the time) and doesn't impact your daily life whatsoever and goes out of its way not to especially in the unincorporated County... LOL

Curious on other's perspective

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-03-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 PM

143 posts, read 180,144 times
Just returned from the Open House at the City Centre a while ago. Very impressive presentation. Downside is that for everything to be completed per the concepts and visualizations can take up to 20 years and of course I want it to happen tomorrow. I thought the turnout was very impressive and I estimate at least 50 or so people attended. There were not enough chairs so many had to stand.....a good sign to me.

Key Points:

A bunch of areas allotted for housing (townhouses, cottages and apartments with living units on top of some commercial)

Green way between library and new courthouse with water park and amphitheater. (also net gain in parking)

Bike lanes

Expansion for CCTC with student housing

Area in between 1st Presbyterian and 1st Citizens bank along Calhoun to be cleared out for new office park

Calhoun and N Main (corner where Tony's Pizza is located) cleared for townhouses

Open area across from hospital along Washington next to the monument designated for housing as well- as I said large focus on residential

Keeping the old gas station building on Main and working that into the aesthetics

Finally, a lot more planning and development south of downtown than I was expecting (Oakland, Bartlette and south of Liberty)

I signed up for the Power Point presentation so as soon as its posted or sent to me I will share. Consultant and designer who spoke gave Sumter kudos for the new brewery being constructed and that was an example as a catalyst for downtown development.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Just returned from the Open House at the City Centre a while ago. Very impressive presentation. Downside is that for everything to be completed per the concepts and visualizations can take up to 20 years and of course I want it to happen tomorrow. I thought the turnout was very impressive and I estimate at least 50 or so people attended. There were not enough chairs so many had to stand.....a good sign to me.

Key Points:

A bunch of areas allotted for housing (townhouses, cottages and apartments with living units on top of some commercial)

Green way between library and new courthouse with water park and amphitheater. (also net gain in parking)

Bike lanes

Expansion for CCTC with student housing

Area in between 1st Presbyterian and 1st Citizens bank along Calhoun to be cleared out for new office park

Calhoun and N Main (corner where Tony's Pizza is located) cleared for townhouses

Open area across from hospital along Washington next to the monument designated for housing as well- as I said large focus on residential

Keeping the old gas station building on Main and working that into the aesthetics

Finally, a lot more planning and development south of downtown than I was expecting (Oakland, Bartlette and south of Liberty)

I signed up for the Power Point presentation so as soon as its posted or sent to me I will share. Consultant and designer who spoke gave Sumter kudos for the new brewery being constructed and that was an example as a catalyst for downtown development.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Here is the link for the presentation as promised.

https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau...ion_lowres.pdf

...and Holy Moly looks like the Markette Gas station at 521 and Alice Drive has broken ground and is going to get built after all.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That's good.. The challenge I see for many in Sumter is that many people (that I know) if they lost their job or wanted a new one.. would have to leave Sumter. I know that it depends on the sector that you are in.. but not being able to move around from one employer to another without leaving town stunts personal growth not to mention the City's growth.. I am not talking about someone who is a rocket scientist who loses the only rocket scientist job in Sumter and thus has to move.. but some places in the financial/insurance sector...leaving mainly retail/ service, manufacturing, and hospitality as the main sources. Certainly these jobs/skill sets are transferable from one to another but not always nor at the same salary.. Medical and Military are certainly major but also may require a move either by transfer or for a promotion given there is only one hospital and military installation in town. I know some people commute to Columbia and Florence as well for work... but they are usually grounded in Sumter because of family or spouses job.. otherwise may opt to move to either of these cities...

Sumter.. is a retirees dream city....generally inexpensive, has or is close to most of the basic things one would need, want or want to travel too, and is very stable, conservative, predictable.. There wont be a major tax increase on the city, county or state level, crime is very generally concentrated in certain areas you can almost predict the crime stories in the paper and most are domestic or drug related and not home invasions or mass shootings (knock on wood).. politics is very ho hum(wont raise your blood pressure most of the time) and doesn't impact your daily life whatsoever and goes out of its way not to especially in the unincorporated County... LOL

Curious on other's perspective
I pretty much agree with everything you said here. I rarely have to leave town for most thing, actually hardly at all. What I can't find here, I usually just order off line.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 PM

No mention on the number of new jobs or employees but still good news for our area. Fasier tire opens a location in Sumter county from The Item.

https://theitem.com/stories/frasier-...-in-sc,328382?

ALSO...any thoughts on the power point presentation I posted from the Open House????

Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
No mention on the number of new jobs or employees but still good news for our area. Fasier tire opens a location in Sumter county from The Item.

https://theitem.com/stories/frasier-...-in-sc,328382?

ALSO...any thoughts on the power point presentation I posted from the Open House????
My thoughts are, will we see any of these changes in our lifetime. Seriously, we all know things take forever to get done in this town, and in some cases a lifetime. How serious was the atmosphere at the open house? A lot of it is very positive, and things I will actually like to see happen, especially bringing more living spaces into the downtown area. Was this all for show, or will be seeing some changes in the very near future, I remind you, this is Sumter we are talking about.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
My thoughts are, will we see any of these changes in our lifetime. Seriously, we all know things take forever to get done in this town, and in some cases a lifetime. How serious was the atmosphere at the open house? A lot of it is very positive, and things I will actually like to see happen, especially bringing more living spaces into the downtown area. Was this all for show, or will be seeing some changes in the very near future, I remind you, this is Sumter we are talking about.

The plan seems reasonable but there is A LOT of emphasis on town homes downtown and I don't know how feasible that will be. Multi family Senior and Student housing...yes. But I don't even know if town homes are even a housing typology supported in Sumter. Patio Homes yes but not sure about town homes I think these elements of the plan are actionable our lifetime

1) More city offices on S Main and Bartlette
2) multi family housing (student senior and multifamily)
3)medical and professional office
4)CCTC expansion
5) village green next to courthouse and library

All of these items except for #2 and #3 are in the city or quasi government control so they can be done now

#2 and #3 can be incentivized to happen by the city and county. Taxbreaks subsidies etc.

With items 1to 5 in place the private sector may respond with some retail residential mixed use or more office

An arts or cultural center could also occur as part of the citys investment

That is my initial reaction. I will take a deeper look at it over the next couple days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina