Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 01:04 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
No mention on the number of new jobs or employees but still good news for our area. Fasier tire opens a location in Sumter county from The Item.

https://theitem.com/stories/frasier-...-in-sc,328382?

ALSO...any thoughts on the power point presentation I posted from the Open House????
Just to clarify. The new location for Frasier Tire is not in Sumter County. It’s in St. Charles. Near the intersection of I-95 and I-26. It’s Frasier Tire’s fifth location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Well that's good to hear that people are moving in.. I have always wondered if it was true growth or just like a sack of potatoes.. just moving from one side of the bag to the other.. but still the same old sack of potatoes....

You are right though.. Its hard for Sumter to compete with the big three in SC.. Even the next tier Cities like Spartanburg, Rock Hill, and Florence it may be a little hard to stack up against them as well. That leaves the likes of Anderson and Greenwood. Anderson likely benefits being associated with the Greenville metro... and to some extent so does Greenwood.. Sumter is in its own metro.. but gets no real benefit from being close to Columbia other than the access to CAE.. .in fact its probably more of a negative being so close, but not close enough to have a similar relationship as Greenville Spartanburg. I wonder if USC Sumter became a true four year university with housing etc if that would make a difference?

Sumter can't compete with those cities, and even the second tier status is a tough going. Almost everything larger than Sumter is part of one of the major metro area here in the state, or part of a much larger county population. I guess we are in our own category.

We focus mostly on the city in this thread or areas right outside the city, but the county have to get it going as well. Tons of work to be done out there to make the county an attractive place to live and work, and to spark growth. If the county grows, the city will grow, and increase commerce for businesses within the city.

Last edited by ipaper; 06-09-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Sumter Florence Greenwood Anderson Orangeburg are all similar cities without a bigger metro nearby.

Sumter and Greenwood are most similar in that the others enjoy direct interstate access.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Sumter Florence Greenwood Anderson Orangeburg are all similar cities without a bigger metro nearby.

Sumter and Greenwood are most similar in that the others enjoy direct interstate access.
Ten counties makes up the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA, Both Anderson and Greenwood falls in that area. That is pretty much the entire northwest corner of the state nearly 1.4 million people. Sumter for it's size is really in a unique position among this state larger towns, it's really out there all by itself.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Sumter can't compete with those cities, and even the second tier status is a tough going. Almost everything larger than Sumter is part of one of the major metro area here in the state, or part of a much larger county population. I guess we are in our own category.

We focus mostly on the city in this thread or areas right outside the city, but the county have to get it going as well. Tons of work to be done out there to make the county an attractive place to live and work, and to spark growth. If the county grows, the city will grow, and increase commerce for businesses within the city.

You are right the County needs to get its act together.. from the Schools to infrastructure/development.. The City is saving all of Sumter right now. Historically "the County" has been run and ruled by yahoos on the Council.. while the City has been mainly business people, educators and related professionals.. Boss Hogg and Uncle Jesse Duke (Dukes of Hazzard) would be elected if they lived in Sumter County both for different reasons... Maybe that has changed but historically its been a challenge for the County to get good/effective leadership and move beyond landfill and clearing drainage gutters along the sides of the roads, grading dirt roads, to focusing more on economic development with the exception of industrial plants.. They have gotten a little better with quality of life projects like the penny for progress and some recreation facilities.. but only to compete with some of the stuff the city was involved in. I have advocated that the City of Columbia merge with Richland County for efficiency and service delivery, but I would NOT advocate that in the case of Sumter and Sumter County,. I would like to see the City annex more of the urbanized areas around the City limits.. but that (annexation) has been discussed frequently in terms of how challenging it is.. In Sumter's case many areas in the County do not have sewer systems and thus would make it costly for the city to bring them in since they would likely want/request that it be provided.. In such instances the upfront cost and capital outlay is immediate and can only be regained over years of tax and fees to those property owners....

Back in the day some County Council reps were openly hostile to parts of their district being annexed into the City and would work to attempt to thwart it with their constituents. Though city voters still vote for a County rep.. they felt it diluted their political power since most people would mainly seek out their city rep if in the city limits. Many of the areas where annexation was thwarted were in low in come African American neighborhoods in south and north Sumter. They wanted to come in because of trash collection, lower utility bills, and to gain infrastructure. The excuse given to them is that " the city will jack up your taxes" or "your city council rep wont represent you effectively and you will be forgotten in favor of the far west side of town" all such claims were unfortunate but resonated with some residents.. If you look at the City Limit line in these areas it is in the shape of sawtooth and donut holes where this logic took hold. In fact most of these residents in these areas are better off in the city because of some of these basic services and access to some of the home rehab grants and related services available via the federal funding granted to the City. ... The more affluent parts of the far west side of town are usually a mix bag as well with annexation usually having to occur before a subdivision is developed. The City via things like trash collection and recycling can use that as a tool to annex since most people don't want to hire a private hauler to take their trash.. Last I checked Sumter County doesn't provide trash collection or recycling pick up curb side like some of the urban counties.. Water Bill is also a lower rate in the City than in the County...atleast it was in the past...

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-10-2019 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You are right the County needs to get its act together.. from the Schools to infrastructure/development.. The City is saving all of Sumter right now. Historically "the County" has been run and ruled by yahoos on the Council.. while the City has been mainly business people, educators and related professionals.. Boss Hogg and Uncle Jesse Duke (Dukes of Hazzard) would be elected if they lived in Sumter County both for different reasons... Maybe that has changed but historically its been a challenge for the County to get good/effective leadership and move beyond landfill and clearing drainage gutters along the sides of the roads, grading dirt roads, to focusing more on economic development with the exception of industrial plants.. They have gotten a little better with quality of life projects like the penny for progress and some recreation facilities.. but only to compete with some of the stuff the city was involved in. I have advocated that the City of Columbia merge with Richland County for efficiency and service delivery, but I would NOT advocate that in the case of Sumter and Sumter County,. I would like to see the City annex more of the urbanized areas around the City limits.. but that (annexation) has been discussed frequently in terms of how challenging it is.. In Sumter's case many areas in the County do not have sewer systems and thus would make it costly for the city to bring them in since they would likely want/request that it be provided.. In such instances the upfront cost and capital outlay is immediate and can only be regained over years of tax and fees to those property owners....

Back in the day some County Council reps were openly hostile to parts of their district being annexed into the City and would work to attempt to thwart it with their constituents. Though city voters still vote for a County rep.. they felt it diluted their political power since most people would mainly seek out their city rep if in the city limits. Many of the areas where annexation was thwarted were in low in come African American neighborhoods in south and north Sumter. They wanted to come in because of trash collection, lower utility bills, and to gain infrastructure. The excuse given to them is that " the city will jack up your taxes" or "your city council rep wont represent you effectively and you will be forgotten in favor of the far west side of town" all such claims were unfortunate but resonated with some residents.. If you look at the City Limit line in these areas it is in the shape of sawtooth and donut holes where this logic took hold. In fact most of these residents in these areas are better off in the city because of some of these basic services and access to some of the home rehab grants and related services available via the federal funding granted to the City. ... The more affluent parts of the far west side of town are usually a mix bag as well with annexation usually having to occur before a subdivision is developed. The City via things like trash collection and recycling can use that as a tool to annex since most people don't want to hire a private hauler to take their trash.. Last I checked Sumter County doesn't provide trash collection or recycling pick up curb side like some of the urban counties.. Water Bill is also a lower rate in the City than in the County...atleast it was in the past...
Absolutely, and it looks like a place with no leadership or directions. Every single town in the county looks run down and dying, with zero going on, it's anything goes. My church is out in the county, and we don't have city water, it stops about a mile down the road. But, it also seem like people are content with how things are out in the county, like they just accept things the way they are. This is 2019 and we still have dirt roads in some places, that's crazy. But, as long as the people don't protest or say anything, nothing is going to change. Almost nowhere in Sumter county outside the city, and it's nearby areas, that I can see myself living. Emerald Lake subdivision on 15th north is too far for my taste, and Lakewood on 15 south would probably be my limit.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Dalzell, Rembert, Mayesville, Pinewood, Wedgefield.

That’s it. Am I missing any? These are the towns located in the county.

None of them have anything to offer on their own. Most are just crossroads.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Dalzell, Rembert, Mayesville, Pinewood, Wedgefield.

That’s it. Am I missing any? These are the towns located in the county.

None of them have anything to offer on their own. Most are just crossroads.

Yeah I think that's it, and Dalzell is the clear winner in this group. All the others are pretty depressed, and dying a long slow death. I'm not sure about Stateburg, up there on 601. Not sure if it's a town or just a community.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:49 PM

93 posts, read 90,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Yeah I think that's it, and Dalzell is the clear winner in this group. All the others are pretty depressed, and dying a long slow death. I'm not sure about Stateburg, up there on 601. Not sure if it's a town or just a community.
Stateburg is just a community.

I'm still mad Camden is getting a Hobby Lobby and not Sumter. They're too close to the one in Elgin in my opinion. Any news on what will be going into Kmart? Or when they're going to start the project by TJ Maxx?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
Stateburg is just a community.

I'm still mad Camden is getting a Hobby Lobby and not Sumter. They're too close to the one in Elgin in my opinion. Any news on what will be going into Kmart? Or when they're going to start the project by TJ Maxx?
I haven't heard anything lately. There will always be this long quiet period around here, where you hear absolutely nothing. That's pretty much standard procedure in this town, then suddenly you will start seeing some sort of movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina