Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
This the public works building from the east side of it, coming into downtown. What a monstrosity.
Wow, yeah. That looks bad. Sometimes it's not so much about the abundance of swanky buildings downtown; in examples like this, it's more about needing to clean up eyesores in prime areas. Columbia has it's share, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Wow, yeah. That looks bad. Sometimes it's not so much about the abundance of swanky buildings downtown; in examples like this, it's more about needing to clean up eyesores in prime areas. Columbia has it's share, too.
Not sure what they can do with this monster, other than bulldozing it down. This is a large complex made up of several buildings, and they all pretty much look like this, with this one being the worst. An eyesore would be an understatement.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:55 AM

22 posts, read 22,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
I think they need one more Safe bank location. Next to the new O'Reillys by the base on the corner there of Peach Orchard and Broad. I think they have one on base. But we need one on that side of town. I think it's a good spot for one cz you've got people going in and out of Sumter to Columbia for their jobs and so on. Plus, for us on that side of town, the closest one is either Westmark or McCrays Mill.
I contacted Safe about this a couple years ago and was told that would never would be considered unless Shaw closed because they have one on base. I let then know that there was many members that were not military and no access to the base and they weren't concerned. I told if another financial business opened in this area I would switch to them.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scp&d View Post
I contacted Safe about this a couple years ago and was told that would never would be considered unless Shaw closed because they have one on base. I let then know that there was many members that were not military and no access to the base and they weren't concerned. I told if another financial business opened in this area I would switch to them.
Maybe you should try contacting them again, or perhaps get a petition going to present to them. Sumter is large enough to handle a branch on base as well as one outside the base near broad. They are flexing their financial muscles all over Sumter, I don't see why they can't put one there.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 AM

The McLaughlin Ford dealership is a very odd situation in my opinion. Road work all around it have intensified with orange barrels all over the place, and other road work signs, but the dealership looks like it's not budging at all. Absolutely no signs of them moving, and no work have started at the new sight location. Traffic was bad in that area certain times of the day, and it's going to be even worst now. I can see accidents in the making, too much is going on over there now, so avoid the area if you can. But, it looks so strange that the dealership is right in the middle of everything going on, seems like that would deter potential customers, and people who want to brows the lot.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 AM

143 posts, read 179,780 times
Quote:
Maybe you should try contacting them again, or perhaps get a petition going to present to them. Sumter is large enough to handle a branch on base as well as one outside the base near broad. They are flexing their financial muscles all over Sumter, I don't see why they can't put one there.

I think they should look into building a branch on the "Upscale" Piggly Wiggly (that never was) site on Patriot and McCray's Mill. I know the land was and probably still is owned by the same family but I think with the grocery store plans there would be room for perimeter parcels for banks and restaurants like Willy Sue's. It may not be right off base but still somewhat convenient to that area and the land is already developed. SAFE may at least be able to purchase a parcel close to Patriot.

Quote:
The McLaughlin Ford dealership is a very odd situation in my opinion. Road work all around it have intensified with orange barrels all over the place, and other road work signs, but the dealership looks like it's not budging at all. Absolutely no signs of them moving, and no work have started at the new sight location. Traffic was bad in that area certain times of the day, and it's going to be even worst now. I can see accidents in the making, too much is going on over there now, so avoid the area if you can. But, it looks so strange that the dealership is right in the middle of everything going on, seems like that would deter potential customers, and people who want to brows the lot.

Maybe they worked out an alternate design that allows McLaughlin to stay put in a showroom designed by the Brady Bunch??? McLaughlin must be trying to keep the building so that it qulaify's for historical preservation status.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 AM

143 posts, read 179,780 times
Quote:
Not sure what they can do with this monster, other than bulldozing it down. This is a large complex made up of several buildings, and they all pretty much look like this, with this one being the worst. An eyesore would be an understatement.

It is bad and dominates downtown. So, correct me if I am wrong, but this complex is:

1. Owned and used by the City of Sumter
2. Used as a storage and maintenance bay and motor pool for the city vehicles to include police cars and utility trucks
3. The actual usage area is only about 25% of the available square footage, leaving 3/4ths a vacant, abandoned barn.

I would like to snoop around there to see for myself but that would probably be frowned upon by the city. But are the above assumptions I stated correct?

Old 04-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
I think they should look into building a branch on the "Upscale" Piggly Wiggly (that never was) site on Patriot and McCray's Mill. I know the land was and probably still is owned by the same family but I think with the grocery store plans there would be room for perimeter parcels for banks and restaurants like Willy Sue's. It may not be right off base but still somewhat convenient to that area and the land is already developed. SAFE may at least be able to purchase a parcel close to Patriot.

Maybe they worked out an alternate design that allows McLaughlin to stay put in a showroom designed by the Brady Bunch??? McLaughlin must be trying to keep the building so that it qulaify's for historical preservation status.
Lol, it certainly is old and outdated. The building is not attractive nor is the current location, time have not been kind to that area of town. Safe is the only financial institution in town flexing their muscles, they can probably build wherever they want to right now. Patriot Parkway is a good idea.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It is bad and dominates downtown. So, correct me if I am wrong, but this complex is:

1. Owned and used by the City of Sumter
2. Used as a storage and maintenance bay and motor pool for the city vehicles to include police cars and utility trucks
3. The actual usage area is only about 25% of the available square footage, leaving 3/4ths a vacant, abandoned barn.

I would like to snoop around there to see for myself but that would probably be frowned upon by the city. But are the above assumptions I stated correct?
Yes, you are correct. That building takes you back in time, way back in time. Other than just being outright fugly, it's a really old complex as well. The city should be embarrassed, I'm shame for them. I would never take any out of town guest anywhere near that area.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:

That could be the case, and if indeed that is the case. They should remove the sign from the sight out on Broad street, announcing their future new home. I don't know what's so hard and secretive by announcing that you are not moving. But, that's how things are handled in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina