Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 05:45 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times

Advertisements

Anybody been to Dillion Park lately, they actually did a pretty good job with the upgrade. I go walking out there sometimes even though I'm probably just as close to Patriot Park. I guess they had to do something to keep up with all the other more popular Parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM

The old Kangaroo at Washington and Liberty streets is not being torn down, just in case anyone is thinking that. That location is being used for staging materials and construction site office trailer. I was thinking that at first myself, because I been seeing lots of activity on the site lately. The new brewery going up on the next block is using that site.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:55 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The old Kangaroo at Washington and Liberty streets is not being torn down, just in case anyone is thinking that. That location is being used for staging materials and construction site office trailer. I was thinking that at first myself, because I been seeing lots of activity on the site lately. The new brewery going up on the next block is using that site.

Have they already started to work on the brewery? I think the City should move towards consolidating their offices and possibly convert the Planning Office over on W. Liberty into commercial office/retail space.. As downtown buildings become more in demand to "flip" this property over to the private sector and to get in back on the tax rolls could be critical.. It too is a large building like the brewery and has adjacent parking which is HUGE

City Hall Annex (McDuffie Furniture) it looks like a little City Hall

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9180072,-80.3419349,3a,75y,241.25h,97.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS0aHg5zxvdAxSb3HRXDGvg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

City Planning could move down into McDuffie Furniture across from CCTC (assuming its still vacant) and anchor S. Main which is more challenged and it would be closer to the new water department. Another key downtown site that could support a new build is the old lot where Sumter Electric and Rewinding used to be near the foot of the Manning Ave Bridge along S. Oakland Street.. Again , not ideal for many types of uses because of its proximity to the RR track.. but may be good for a government center/offices and provide a nice anchor for the street (again Water Dept is across the street too)

Sumter Electric Building

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.915963,-80.3423516,3a,48.5y,120.83h,83.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss0j_0E6MgP3aTS0Rg623BQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

Old 05-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Have they already started to work on the brewery? I think the City should move towards consolidating their offices and possibly convert the Planning Office over on W. Liberty into commercial office/retail space.. As downtown buildings become more in demand to "flip" this property over to the private sector and to get in back on the tax rolls could be critical.. It too is a large building like the brewery and has adjacent parking which is HUGE

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9180072,-80.3419349,3a,75y,241.25h,97.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS0aHg5zxvdAxSb3HRXDGvg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

City Planning could move down into McDuffie Furniture across from CCTC (assuming its still vacant) and anchor S. Main which is more challenged and it would be closer to the new water department. Another key downtown site that could support a new build is the old lot where Sumter Electric and Rewinding used to be near the foot of the Manning Ave Bridge along S. Oakland Street.. Again , not ideal for many types of uses because of its proximity to the RR track.. but may be good for a government center/offices and provide a nice anchor for the street (again Water Dept is across the street too)

Sumter Electric Building

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.915963,-80.3423516,3a,48.5y,120.83h,83.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss0j_0E6MgP3aTS0Rg623BQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656
The site is still being prep for construction, they had to tear down and haul off the building that was on that site first. But it should be starting real soon, so that's going to be a busy little corner shortly.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Sumter Electric Building

The old federal building right next door to CCTC would have been a perfect city hall building. It was a government building and looks the part, it's a beautiful building. That building doesn't get any attention, but it's really one of this town gem, as far as historical old buildings in the area. But probably not large enough or on the wrong end of downtown.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The site is still being prep for construction, they had to tear down and haul off the building that was on that site first. But it should be starting real soon, so that's going to be a busy little corner shortly.
Oh wow I thought they were reusing the the old building but I guess the roof load height couldnt support a deck nor the equipment for the brewery which can be pretty tall. That building was likely a department store before it became standard music?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The old federal building right next door to CCTC would have been a perfect city hall building. It was a government building and looks the part, it's a beautiful building. That building doesn't get any attention, but it's really one of this town gem, as far as historical old buildings in the area. But probably not large enough or on the wrong end of downtown.
I thought that CCTC owned it and was running a program s out of it. You are right it looks very institutional. Was it the post office before it became the federal building ?

Lots of old buildings taken down the old train station on Harvin and Telephone ; there was a old hotel on South Main I believe at Bartlette near the train station and my favorite. A highrise on the NE corner of Main and Liberry

Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I thought that CCTC owned it and was running a program s out of it. You are right it looks very institutional. Was it the post office before it became the federal building ?

Lots of old buildings taken down the old train station on Harvin and Telephone ; there was a old hotel on South Main I believe at Bartlette near the train station and my favorite. A highrise on the NE corner of Main and Liberry
Yes, it does belongs to CCTC, and at one time it was a post office. I'm thinking the city just outgrew it's usefulness . It' not grand in size at all, and it really would be even more beautiful if was at least twice it's current size.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Town of Dalzell

I had heard that years ago... back in the 80s/90s that Dalzell wanted to incorporate and become a town ? Does anyone recall hearing this? I believe they used to have their own water utility company that was later absorbed into High Hills? I cant recall the politics but its interesting how there are so many rural water companies around the City of Sumter and since most (larger) municipalities provide water.. you are technically one step from being a city/town anyway. From what I understand having the utility and the slow sprawl of Sumter up 521 sparked that level of interest.. What killed it was that there are some many failed "towns" in Sumter County... Mayesville (whom I believe sold their water department to the City of Sumter to operate) and Rembert in addition to politicos in Sumter didn't want to have another municipality adjacent to it.. especially one that could take away lucrative tax base and residents. So they worked to undermine that effort through a good ole fashion whispering campaign in terms of fueling the reasons why it wasn't a good idea and were successful. I think Pinewood still has their own Water Company.. but most of the western side of the City I believe is in High Hills Water Dept.

If anyone has any current info.. would be curious to know thoughts/insight...

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 PM

143 posts, read 179,897 times
Fred's is closing...I thought the economy was doing well. Why doesn't it feel like it?

https://theitem.com/stories/freds-in...ter-all,327803
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina